Age worries and bike woes

Noizetek
Noizetek Posts: 98
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi Folks,

I rode pretty heavily, cross country and trail, back in my youth (14 - 16) and then dissapeared down a path of debaunchery...

Now that I am 26 have two children and a really bad diet, I thought it was about time to get back in to shape and the only sport I have been interested in is Mountain Biking (especially downhill).

Instead of going all out and getting a full suspension jobby, I have decided to either go for a 2009 Kona Blast or the Orange 2009 G2, with the intention of starting out here and then moving up to full suspension when I feel more confident (and also dont feel like ?i am going to have a heart attack climbing up a hill!!). I am leaning more towards the Kona Blast...

My question is - good choice in bikes?? my budget is about £500 - £600 and also being 26 years of age I now feel too old to maybe get into downhill racing at some point (competitions), am I just being paranoid??? Feedback would be cool.

Comments

• Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    I have got back in to riding 10 months ago, Both bikes would be good starters. I would say get in to a shop and sit on them and find the one you like best.
    My FIrst ride out i got up a 500m long climb that went up at most 60M in height and i had to get off the bike to be sick. Now after losing over 10kg i can fly up my local hills and ride down stuff that i would have a hard time walking down. ( ok i may not stay on the bike all the time ). Things that i would recomend is

OS map of your local area to find all the trails that are withing 20Miles of your house as these will be you quick blast rides that you can fit in the drop of a hat with out packing up the car

Some sort of hydration system ( bottle or pack ) ebay has got good cheap ones.

lycra padded cycleing shorts ( you bum will be so thankfull)

As for saying that you are too old for downhill I would say get out and ride you may find that you get a buzz form getting up a technical climb more than flying off a 4' drop or you may love the big drops. Get out ride your bike and have fun dont worrie about what people say you can and cant do.
    If you are training to get fit then also make sure you give yourself restdays.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    Don't worry about your age. You're young :evil:
    I'm 35 and still loving this biking lark after far too many years (and crashes :wink: )
    There was an age poll somewhere on here a while back and 1 of the 2 most poular age groups was 30-35 :shock: At least, that's what I seem to remember. I am old after all :wink:

All comes back to that old saying; Just get out and ride
    oh, and have fun.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Noizetek wrote:
    Hi Folks,

I rode pretty heavily, cross country and trail, back in my youth (14 - 16) and then dissapeared down a path of debaunchery...

Now that I am 26 have two children and a really bad diet, I thought it was about time to get back in to shape and the only sport I have been interested in is Mountain Biking (especially downhill).

Instead of going all out and getting a full suspension jobby, I have decided to either go for a 2009 Kona Blast or the Orange 2009 G2, with the intention of starting out here and then moving up to full suspension when I feel more confident (and also dont feel like ?i am going to have a heart attack climbing up a hill!!). I am leaning more towards the Kona Blast...

My question is - good choice in bikes?? my budget is about £500 - £600 and also being 26 years of age I now feel too old to maybe get into downhill racing at some point (competitions), am I just being paranoid??? Feedback would be cool.

Well at least you've taken the first correct step and decided to get back into the sport!

Next step is to pay a visit to your GP and get a once-over - get them to check your heart rate, breathing, blood pressure, etc. Tell them what you're planning to do and ask if they have any advice.

As for your diet, only you can do anything about that. Cut down on saturated fats (fried food), artficial colourants, SALT!!!! and sugar.

You'll find that the more riding you do though, the more that you'll eat!! Concentrate on balancing your carbohydrate and protein intake, plenty of fresh fruit and veg, and drink lots of fresh water.

When you start out riding again, the answer is a little and often. Start off by trying 5 or six miles three times a week, then gradually up your distances as you get fitter. You'll soon be knocking off 25 and 30 mile round trips before you know what hit you!

And as for being to old - utter bobbins! You're only as old as the person you feel. At the grand old age of 37 I'm seriously considering having a crack at downhilling next season... :shock: !!!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Thanks for the kind words, I really am quite stoked up about getting back into MTB's...I have decided to go for the Kona, can't wait to get my hands on it! As for getting fit, I really need to overcome the first step which is stopping smoking! So I can take my aggression out on the trails (I live in the Peak District, so I have plenty of rides of my doorstep!).
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Noizetek wrote:
    As for getting fit, I really need to overcome the first step which is stopping smoking! So I can take my aggression out on the trails (I live in the Peak District, so I have plenty of rides of my doorstep!).

Stopping smoking is the best thing you can do - I used to be what is euphemistically called a "social smoker" (although there's nothing more anti-social) - if I was out with friends for a few beers, I'd cadge a "burn" here and there until eventually I started buying my own.

When I got back into bikes again, I just got up one morning and made a conscious decision to give up smoking there and then - it was like a snap decision, I hadn't planned it or anything. So I stopped. Just like that.

Granted I was grumpy as hell for about a fortnight and spent about half an hour every morning coughing all the ess-aitch-one-tee up out of my lungs but once I'd done cold turkey I was fine and I've never looked back. In fact the very smell of tobacco smoke knocks me sick now.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Chris5.5
    Chris5.5 Posts: 154
    I've also got back into this after 14 years away. The best advice I can suggest to give up smoking is to read Allen Carrs book, the easy way to stop smoking.

You can carry on smoking whilst you read it. I though it was excellent and not preachy, by the end of the book I was looking forward to having that last cig and freeing myself.

Chris
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    I love DaveHill he covers everypoint in detail meaning I can just ramble :lol::lol:

I've been seriously riding again since last year, have always had a bike just didn't use it much, lost a stone and a half in 14 months, just turned 30, apparently :? , feel nearly as good as when I was in my teens, can't quit smoking but hell I'd be some kind of legend if I did 8) , and never had the bottle to seriously downhill so fair play to you.

As for bike choice, all very personal, both will do the job so give them a test ride.

Happy riding :wink:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    26?! I was expecting you to say about 54, in which I would have replied I know plenty of 50+ riders where age is no matter!

Agree with the above points about diet, and a health check is always a good idea.
  • supersonic wrote:
    26?! I was expecting you to say about 54, in which I would have replied I know plenty of 50+ riders where age is no matter!
    Ditto! I'm 26 too and also just getting back into things. You aren't over the hill til you reach the top. Best get pedalling if you want to find out :wink:
    Welcome, to my bonesaw!
  • There's many ways to give up the fags, first time I stopped cold turkey. This lasted for a year or so, and then stupidly started again... Smoked for a while, couple of years and during that time got more and more fed up with smoking but just couldn't stop. Eventually went to the nurse at my doctors surgery. I told her I wanted to give up, she asked me why, then gave me the options and then sent me away telling me to come back if/ when I was ready. This took a while, I went back and asked for patches. After that I had to return weekly to renew my prescription and to prove I wasn't smoking, after three visits I gave up giving up as I'd stopped smoking, that was some time ago now (years). Do it, you'll appreciate the rides so much more!!!
  • 26 - Ha ! A mere lad of a boy !!

Welcome back mate, where have you been for the last 10 years ?

You are taking a very positive step by getting back into exercise, but the simple truth is that if you can't find a way to cut out the fags you will be negating most of the benefit.

Unfortunately as a 43 year old non-smoker I have no advice to give on giving up, other than to wish you well and to hope that you and I are both still around (and riding) when YOU are 43. Perhaps we should organize a ride......

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • I have been given a course of a new drug called Champix which basically releases dopamine in the system which latch onto the nicotine receptors and after a while make the urge for that "next hit" dissapear...only three days in so far, apparently it takes about two weeks to take effect properly...

As for peoples comments on being old...I was reffering to going on to downhill racing proffesionally...

Also I have decided to go for the GT Avalanche 1.0 (2009) instead of the Kona :)
  • Belphegor wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Ditto! I'm 26 too and also just getting back into things. You aren't over the hill til you reach the top. Best get pedalling if you want to find out :wink:

JEEZ me too i was thinking here's me at 42 wondering what age you were ( i am a not so slim lady and don't give a damn how old or how tubby i seem to be, i am on my bike that matters more .............age i can do nothing about...and breathe ........ slowly).
  • More encouragement:
    Bought a hybrid 5 years ago 'cos hillwalking in Staffs is the pits (used to live in S Pennines). (Not ridden a bike since I was 16). Enjoyed every ride I've been out on since (total approx 2k miles). Started riding with some youger guys, and they led me off the highway onto tracks in Lakes and NY Moors, so thought I needed a more suitable bike. Last December bought an 08 GT Avalanche 1.0 (SNAP !) appreciate this bike's more upright riding position, very pleased with it. Trips to much closer White peak and Dark Peak areas this spring/summer, a weekend in Borders inc a day on Southern Upland Way with said young 'uns. Last weekend with my little brother on tracks between Skiddaw and Blencathra in t'Lakes.
    No one told me I'm too old. I'm 57 and young 'uns are all over 50. One life. Live it !
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Noizetek wrote:
    As for peoples comments on being old...I was reffering to going on to downhill racing proffesionally...

Only one way to find out, get out there & ride (lots)
  • I have only recently got back on the bike, and even though it is bloody cold, I have really enjoyed myself. Also packed in the fags, feel miles better for it, when ever I got grouchy I just went for a good spin.

As for the bike, I also bought a 2009 Kona Blast and love it! It really suits me, I tried a few different bikes but felt at one with the Blast. Cracking paintwork too, it's not just a well specced bike for the money, it really does look the dogs.

I just can't wait for the spring now, there are so many places it's just too damn difficult to cycle on due to foot deep puddles of mud.
    Ridley Orion
  • Phew, I was beginning to think I was the the only one over 50 (51). Started cycling again with my 12 year old son a few months ago on 3-4 year old Claude Butler Rock that has sat in garage most of that time. He's been taking me on MTB tracks in local forest and Lomond Hills, Fife today. Great fun even at 50+. Next thing is i'll be wanting a better bike!!
  • john74
    john74 Posts: 254
    age is nothing but a number. act as old as you feel. im 35 soon and im hoping i will be mtbing until im 70. my riding partner is 42 and rips the legs off 20 year olds. age has nothing to do with ability, look at lance 37 and trying to win the tour for the 8th time.
    2010 Forme Reve
    2010 Giant Talon 1
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    I'm 51, almost 52. I knock my pan in every weekend, struggling uphill, careering downhill. One minute I'm lost on jungle paths that hardly exist , the next I'm doing miles and miles of boring firebreak. I'm too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter. My legs ache, my arms are heavy, my fingers tingle, my bum is saddle-sore. Every Sunday night I say never again ... then next day start planning the following weekend's adventure. Craving? Addiction? Obsession? Not just fags get you hooked!
    Enjoy being born again.
  • jondi
    jondi Posts: 152
    i don't feel too bad now as i am brand new too , at a very young 38, well so everyone tells me anyway, i need to shed some pounds though
  • HI

I started back up MTBing at 27 2 years ago, its amazing that once your fitness levels get back to a better stage you feel a lot younger and able to do a lot more.

I also smoked a lot and drunk a lot of beer, Biking helped loads to especially quit the cigs, I am sure its to do with the fresh air, especially forest riding which is my favorite, it really clear those lungs out!

When starting I got a 2 litre Hydration back pack similar to a camel bac, to start off with, I used to drink loads of water on the initial runs, as you progress you tend not to use as much water but always good to have plenty on long runs just in case, I also keep some kind of energy bar/gel in my bag too just in case.

As for the beer, nothing tastes better than a cold one after a long ride, but obviously within reason!

Also I started with a Kona Kikapu full sus Cross Country bike although these were disco'd in 2006/7 you can pick a reasonable one up new still for under £500, have now moved on to the Kona Dawg, I have always been a fan of Kona.

MTBing is the future!
    Frame:Kona Garbanzo Dawg 2007 19"
    Brakes:Hayes Stoker Trail 160
    Chainset:Shimano SLX 2009
    Front Mech:Shimano SLX 2009
    Rear Mech:Shimano SLX
    Wheels:Sun Black Eye
    Tyres:Maxxis Swamp Thing
    Front Forks:Rock Shox Tora 302 RS
  • Well mate you live in an awesome area for cycling, being up the other end of our great county, with the peaks so close by. I'm soon doing the same, and although a non-smoker or drinker, i have put a lot of weight on from inactivity, when i was about 17/18 I was doing 20-30 miles a day easily but i hurt my back, which i found out a lot later was due to the reach on my bike, i was sold a 19.5" frame with a huge (135mm) stem. We're never too old and although i've just turned 27 I can't wait.
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • MrsT
    MrsT Posts: 15
    I've just (5 months go) got a new bike. I had to give up on cycling for many years as my husband was ill and needed me to be his carer. He made a fairly amazing recovery last year and is now back at work! He promised me a new bike as soon as we could manage it, and its been used almost every day since I got it.
    As kids we had fixies and played "slow races" up and down the street. At uni, and at work after that, I had a "racer" followed by a Ridgeback MTB. The dog used to run across the heathland next to me as I pedalled through thick mud
    With the new bike I've got all this to look forward to again, my fitness is building up, I've done a bit of offroad, but I've been concentrating on my fitness. I'm doing 10 - 15 miles at least 3 times a week, usually with a manic grin on my face. It's great.
    By the way, I was 50 last October and I plan to be cycling for many years yet.