sram shifters?

carbon337
carbon337 Posts: 414
edited December 2008 in MTB buying advice
I have x5 sram shifters and im getting annoyed with my LH one. Firstly when i press the lower thumb bit forward ( to increase front ring size up) it gets stuck and i have to pull it back, then I seem to find it difficut to push it to its extreme for the shift to happen.

Either my thumbs are too short or these shifters require to much travel for me.

Any ideas what i can replace with to stop this happening, seen crc have some flood sale x9 for only 15 quid - should i?

Spoke to my lbs and he reckons the x5 have really weak springs in them and thats the problem with the non returning.

Will shimano ones be better and work with and X7 front mech?

Comments

• buzz1
    buzz1 Posts: 374
    Front derailleur should work fine with shimmano shifters, it's only the rear where the commpatability between the two doesn't work, because of different ratios.
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    carbon337 wrote:
    I have x5 sram shifters and im getting annoyed with my LH one. Firstly when i press the lower thumb bit forward ( to increase front ring size up) it gets stuck and i have to pull it back, then I seem to find it difficut to push it to its extreme for the shift to happen.

Either my thumbs are too short or these shifters require to much travel for me.

Any ideas what i can replace with to stop this happening, seen crc have some flood sale x9 for only 15 quid - should i?

Spoke to my lbs and he reckons the x5 have really weak springs in them and thats the problem with the non returning.

Will shimano ones be better and work with and X7 front mech?

It may be that there is a blockage between the cable inner and cable outer, give your cables some love :)
  • stev0
    stev0 Posts: 131
    i have the same problem with my x5's i was told to upgrade to x9's they r way better!
  • I wonder if the x9's have a shorter thumb reach - maybe its the angle of the shifters thats causing the problem???