Cavendish injured snowboarding

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited December 2008 in Pro race
On a Wii.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/27112008/ ... tback.html

Is he trying to outdo McGee and his gardening incident?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• haha, well least it's not as bad as Chavanel slicing his finger to the bone while trying to open an oyster with a knife. :?
  • You would think he would be used to moving time he's having a wii :roll:

ok got my coat
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    I guess it must also bring up the subject of other cyclists or sportsmen / women who have been injured doing other similar non sport related daft things, I seem to remember a couple of golfers who missed tournaments due to playing football with the kids etc ......
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Didn't Zabel break his foot stepping off a ladder or something?
  • Or the Reading footballer who was out for a few games last season for damaging his groin muscle getting out of bed :shock: :shock:
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Here's a few older ones:

- In 2000, South African wicketkepper Mark Boucher cut two tendons in his hand when cutting some dried meat.

- Another South African cricketer, Fannie De Velliers (I think) lost his finger in a lawn mower and continued to play Test Cricket.

Here's my favourite:

John Daly's injury isn't all that freaky but the way he tried to treat it certainly is. While John was playing golf at the Dutch Open in July, 2002, a piece of glass which was embedded in his hand worked its way out, causing John's hand to begin seriously bleeding. Instead of going to a doctor to get stitches (the treatment which Kidzworld recommends,) John Daly squirted superglue on his hand to seal the wound. Did John spend the afternoon sniffing super glue when he came up with this idea? "I don't care if it's unwise medically," Daly said. "I'm not going to watch it bleed." Kids, don't try this at home.

Taken from:
    http://www.kidzworld.com/article/2586-freaky-sports-injuries
  • Jalabert put himself out for 2 months once by falling off a ladder whilst stowing some old bikes in the loft...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Rio Ferdinand busted his knee by leaving his leg propped up on a table while playing on a nintendo, it got stiff and popped....

Dave beasant cracked his big toe my dropping a jar of mayonnaise on it
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Mountaineer Alan Hinkes, who's climbed all the highest and hardest mountains in the world, broke his toe in his own house when he ran barefoot to answer the phone (i seem to remember the phone call was from a magazine to ask him about his next expedition) :)
  • South African Rugby forward and sometime uncomprehending racist Geo Cronje had a tractor roll onto him... he was back six months later. Hardman.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    http://archives.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/worl ... index.html

Do you remember the Spanish goalkeeper missing the world cup after dropping a bottle of aftershave on his foot.
  • I've often used superglue to close cuts, and the last time I came of the bike and gashed my eyebrow, the doc in a&e used it to close it over -not that stupid a think to do it seems!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Whilst not a pro sportsperson. I broke 2 toes last year within 3 months of eachother.

Both like the mountaineer, I was rushing round the house with bare feet. The first time I cracked my toe on the ironing board leg, the next time was in the bathroom and I caught a toe on the corner of the bath :oops:
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    hammerite wrote:
    Whilst not a pro sportsperson. I broke 2 toes last year within 3 months of eachother.

Both like the mountaineer, I was rushing round the house with bare feet. The first time I cracked my toe on the ironing board leg, the next time was in the bathroom and I caught a toe on the corner of the bath :oops:

I've given several toes several cracks this way too. Most recently, my housemate was trying to trip me up while I was walking past, so I went to kick his leg, but missed and kicked the table leg instead - barefoot. It hurt :shock:

Never got it checked out cos I thought it was just bruised, but if I bend my toe there's a line across the "knuckle" that wasn't there before!
  • super glue was invented for medical use initially - first used in the vietnam war I think
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    iain_j wrote:

I've given several toes several cracks this way too. Most recently, my housemate was trying to trip me up while I was walking past, so I went to kick his leg, but missed and kicked the table leg instead - barefoot. It hurt :shock:

Never got it checked out cos I thought it was just bruised, but if I bend my toe there's a line across the "knuckle" that wasn't there before!

didn't get mine checked out either, there's not a lot a they can do to little toes. But I'm taking the fact that I couldn't get shoe on for a few days (i.e. swollen), and couldn't put a lot of weight on them for about a month each as them breaking!