Brecon Beacons

fto-si
fto-si Posts: 402
It's a miserable day here in Suffolk and my bikes are staying in the dry whilst my thoughts turn to a week in the Brecon Beacons early next year.
Does anyone have any reccomendations as to routes or particular areas I should ride?
Coming from Suffolk I have never experienced any proper climbs so I am looking for some of those to attempt aswell.
exercise.png

Comments

• Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    I went to the Brecon Beacons earlier this year. The route we rode was the Black Mountains Killer Loop which is around 40km. However there are many to choose from but i felt the starting point for this loop was ideal. We camped over at The Castle Inn pub which is situated at the start of the Killer Loop. The pub was great and the facilities clean, the camp site backed onto the valley with nice views.

The route itself was very enjoyable. Following the sheep tracks was relaxing and exciting as you go up and down through splashes and jumps. Further on after pushing the bike up a mountain for a few miles you reach a playground of rocky descents and splashes that stretches out over many miles.

Once we finished that section we then well and truly got lost in the middle of the sticks. Fortunately we found a road and decided we would play it safe and ride the 20 odd miles back on the road.

We went with only the description below but i would recommend getting the map also, it can become very confusing when there is a detailed description of a few hundred meters and then nothing for miles.

http://www.mtb-wales.com/modules.php?op ... &pageid=75

I would highly recommend this route.
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    @vivid: although this is the Road section not the MTB section :wink:
  • fto-si
    Maybe I should of been clearer .. I am looking for road routes
    exercise.png
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    mhuk wrote:

Where's your sense of adventure?

On road there is lots - small roads and good pubs with spectacular scenery.

Must see is the Gospel Pass between Abergavenny and Hay on Wye

Recommend the Old Black Lion, although it is a few years since I stayed there

This site gives a few ideas

Alternatively and just for the Prog-Rockers, nip up to the pub at Huntington and have a pint overlooking ....

Mike_oldfield_hergest_ridge_album_cover.jpg
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Lots to go at ; depends on where you are based (or are you touring?)

Gospel Pass is a `must` but try to avoid at weekends as the Llanthony side in particular is very narrow and gets busy - a good 1000ft climb from either Hay (steeper side) or Llanthony)
    Around Brecon you can head north up onto The Eppynt, drop down to Beulah, head out to Abergweswyn / Llyn Brianne area down to Llandovery - masses of climbing on this one - incorporates section of Devil Ride
    Out of Brecon itself you can head west towards Libanus and Heol Senni to climb Devils Elbow and then down to waterfall country at Ystradfellte - come back from there via Penderyn Common / A470 or much more strenuously head over to Talybont and back from there
    A470 towards Cardiff has a good long climb up to Storey Arms but is a busy major road
    Lots of little lanes on the northern side of Brecon Beacons leading towards Talybont and the reservoirs, but need to be good at map reading as virtually NO signs on eth lanes and farm tracks resemble lanes too
    Easy riding down Usk valley towards Crickhowell from where you could do big climbs up on The Tumble / Llangwndir mountain roads (1000ft + jobs at 8 to 10% inclines.)

Be aware though that it may be spring in Suffolk (early next year) when you come but winter may still be lingering around Brecon, btw it`s sunny in Wal;es today (but very cold and frosty :D ) enjoy!
  • Plenty of hills to climb up, be they longer slower climbs such as fiddlers elbow up the blorange to shorter nasty brutish climbs in the lanes of clydach gorge. I'd advise getting a os map and having a look or at the very min google maps and terrane tab. It's fair sized area so a little hard to advise (I was born grew up there)
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    fto-si wrote:
    It's a miserable day here in Suffolk and my bikes are staying in the dry whilst my thoughts turn to a week in the Brecon Beacons early next year.
    Does anyone have any reccomendations as to routes or particular areas I should ride?
    Coming from Suffolk I have never experienced any proper climbs so I am looking for some of those to attempt aswell.

Depends on how early? :D
    There are many routes just get a decent map and go anywhere really but I would not look at doing a week there in the winter as the weather can change there so fast and so dramatically. In the summer it would be fantastic.
  • Cunobelin wrote:
    mhuk wrote:

Where's your sense of adventure?

On road there is lots - small roads and good pubs with spectacular scenery.

Must see is the Gospel Pass between Abergavenny and Hay on Wye

Recommend the Old Black Lion, although it is a few years since I stayed there

This site gives a few ideas

Alternatively and just for the Prog-Rockers, nip up to the pub at Huntington and have a pint overlooking ....

Mike_oldfield_hergest_ridge_album_cover.jpg

When you say "see" you omited the sufix "your breakfast / lunch". It's not a nice hill, especially not between Xmas day and NYE as we do each year. I feel sick already.
  • Saturn
    Saturn Posts: 628
    Here are a few options that I have planned for a visit in Feb. I don't know the area so they've just been made up from looking at the map. They don't include Gospel Pass because I'm saving that delight for an Audax in April.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/224961

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/209691

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/210077

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/213455
    <font size="1">May all your tail winds be up-drafts</font id="size1">
  • The Brecon Beacons is my favourite area to head out to for a long day ride from Cheltenham. 90 miles takes me just over the border and back while 130 gives me a return trip to Hay on Wye and Abergavenny. I would definitely recommend the Gospel Pass between these two towns. The road climbs steadily up from Hay on Wye to the col at around 600m and from then on there is a gradual descent through the beautiful Vale of Ewyas with the mountain ridges on either side. Definitely a picturesque route and Llanthony is an obvious place to stop along the way.

Couple of pictures from the last two cycles there: http://flickr.com/photos/jtrickey/2885432047/
    http://flickr.com/photos/jtrickey/2886112476/
    http://flickr.com/photos/jtrickey/2363147425/
  • Sorry for a bit of a hijack but....coming home to Swansea for christmas and the bike is coming with me...so posting to see if anyone fancies meeting up for a ride in the beacons/south wales area?

Will
  • fto-si
    I have stuck an OS Map of the Beacons up on my wall now so I can mark places of interest and then work out routes to inlcude them all.
    It's looking a bit empty at the moment so come on lads and lasses give me some help please!
    exercise.png
  • JamesB
    See my and others comments above?? :D ---there`s plenty of places to mark up mentioned above
  • Will be riding a route from Ross to Hay and Abergavenny that includes the terrible beasty that is Gospel Pass on the 2nd Jan, oh goody I can't wait....especially as my winter bike is not fitted with a compact.
  • JamesB
    Watch out for the ice then!!! there will be plenty of `skittey bits` around on the pass and descent to Llanthony from water runoff from fields, :(