cove hummer - RIP

joejoe
joejoe Posts: 130
edited November 2008 in MTB buying advice
Anyone same height as me (6ft exactly) who has sat on/ridden a cove hummer? I have studied the geometry and torn between 18 and 19 inch. I ride trails and singletrack but would like to feel comfortable with a shorish stem.

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    You might find this useful/interesting:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12591765
    I'm 5'10" and ride an 18" Hummer
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • joejoe
    thanks for the link, from what the guy with the handjob said I think I will need a 19 inch. prob comes down to riding style etc. cheers
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    You should really have a proper ride on a demo bike or at the very least ride one about outside the LBS.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • BeardedDave
    BeardedDave Posts: 1,977
    I would think the 19 would suit you better at 6 foot. My 18 seems to be pretty spot on for me at 5 foot 10. Althought it does kind of depend on how you like your bikes. If you like them a little smaller and more chuckable then it might be worth going for an 18.

The Hummer frame is a serious amount of money though and it's well worth trying to find a test ride on one to make sure you get the right size. If you're any where near Thetford Forest at the weekends, you're welcome to try out my 18 inch.
    East Anglia Biking Collective!
    http://www.easternbikemonkeys.co.uk/forum/
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I agree completely with these guys ^^. The Hummber is a lot of money for a frame and it needs to be just right to justify the cost. I would say that if any sort of bike needs a test ride more it's a Ti hardtail.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • joejoe
    thanks for the advice. bearded dave - thats really kind of you but i live in exeter devon so bit far from thetford. I managed to get i ride on an 18 and 19 inch hummer and decided on the 19 (18 slightly too short in toptube) - then found out that cove are no longer doing any more hummers - litespeed have put the price up and cove have pulled out of the deal. also, no 19 inch frames anywhere! silverfish have none, also tried all dealers in country and no one has one in my size.

however.. got talking to a chap in nearby bikeshop who stock litespeed - he advised the obed ti frame. tried one out and loved it....he even knocked down pricr from £1600 to £1150 because it had been inshop for a while.

pretty pleased and can't wait to get it built up (its due to be completed on sat)

thanks again for the advice everyone
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    We are going to need some pics!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • BeardedDave
    BeardedDave Posts: 1,977
    Didn't know that about Cove. That's pretty interesting.

Sounds like you did alright in the end though, the Obeds are lovely frames. Enjoy. :)
    East Anglia Biking Collective!
    http://www.easternbikemonkeys.co.uk/forum/
  • joejoe
    will post pics as soon as poss!

yeah, interesting stuff about the hummer. on my endless list of phone calls trying to track one down, also found out that cotic are redesigning the soda and this will be released to the public in may at the earliest. Si said that it will be sturier than the current frame. Whyte are also doing a ti version of their 19 trail frame.

also..due to CEN european standards ti frames will have to be sturdier and thicker walled..especially in the headtube. apparently this won't effect aluminion or carbon as much but expect slightly heaftier frames in the future.

amazing what you find out when you ring about 50 bikeshops!
  • 576372660_5c943cfbc6.jpg

My 18" Hummer.

I'm just a smidge under 6ft and yes the top tube is short but it adds the the chuckability of the bike.

Mine is a 2006 (prone to chainsuck) model - but I now run a double & Bash and have no issues at all on that front.

You can still find them around in places. If you want a burly bike like this then look at the Obed, if you want something for the trail more then look at the on-one 456 Ti.

Or if you want a Hummer badly enough - I sell you mine! Otherwise Chain reaction cycles have an 18" listed as being in stock
  • heihei
    heihei Posts: 61
    VerwoodAsh,

Is the 06 designed to cope with the Pike (can't remember when Cove redid the geom for longer forks)? Do you run it at 140mm or wind it in a bit?