Quick release on a fixed

boybiker
boybiker Posts: 531
edited December 2008 in Road general
I was just looking at a few second hand fixed bikes and it struck me that none pf them had quick release on the rear wheel and I wondered if this was just a 'thing' or if there was a good reason.
The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
FCN :- -1
Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    There's a good reason.
  • there is no reason you can't use a qr on a fixed gear bike, but you still should use tugs.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    edited November 2008
    In my experience, getting a quick release tightened up enough to ensure the chain tension remains, with or without chain tugs, is a fruitless task. Track nuts eliminate this issue.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Agree solidaxle is the best option - the forces going through a tighly fastened QR could snap the skewer.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    Back in the day the likes of The Cannibal used to ride horizontal dropouts with a QR on geared bikes without pulling their wheel forward. Now if you can generate more torque than Eddie then a nutted axle will necessary to stop you pulling the rear wheel out of line. If you are, OTOH, an ordinary mortal then a QR is just fine.

Just so long make sure a good quality QR. Too many modern QR's appear to be made from Wensleydale and have shiny smooth contact faces to boot. Fine with vertical dropouts, but not so good with horizontal dropouts or track ends.h

Under track rules nutted axles are mandatory which is probably why most production fixed wheel hubs come with a nutted axle.
  • boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    GarethPJ wrote:
    Back in the day the likes of The Cannibal used to ride horizontal dropouts with a QR on geared bikes without pulling their wheel forward. Now if you can generate more torque than Eddie then a nutted axle will necessary to stop you pulling the rear wheel out of line. If you are, OTOH, an ordinary mortal then a QR is just fine.

Just so long make sure a good quality QR. Too many modern QR's appear to be made from Wensleydale and have shiny smooth contact faces to boot. Fine with vertical dropouts, but not so good with horizontal dropouts or track ends.h

Under track rules nutted axles are mandatory which is probably why most production fixed wheel hubs come with a nutted axle.

I hate it when they make bike parts out of cheese.

Its just that i borrowed my mates fixed the other day and was looking to get one of my own for winter training rather than riding track.All the old boys at my club tell me that everyone used to ride fixed in the winter.
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    When it comes down to it it's rare to find a fixed wheel hub with a QR, generally the only way you will get one in by changing the axle. So unless you really, really want the convenience of a QR you would probably be best sticking with nuts.

I used to ride fixed wheel with a QR a few years ago and I never had any problems. Like I say though, I'm no Merckx.
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    As my first fixed was a converted old screw on I have always used a QR. Usually old Campag ones but, whisper it, Shimano work very well and are found in skips. I do find that it is marginally qiucker to get the wheel straight with nuts as you can tighten it a bit at a time but never to my recollection had a wheel move. I must admit it isn't Peak District steep here in the Forest ofDean but I have climbed hills that were at the limit of my strengthn with no problems with the above setup.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    andyp wrote:
    In my experience, getting a quick release tightened up enough to ensure the chain tension remains, with or without chain tugs, is a fruitless task. Track nuts eliminate this issue.

But then my experience is the opposite - tho' it does depend on the QR and the drop out faces.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."