What chain lube ..

supergrass
supergrass Posts: 123
edited December 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks,

Im still new to all this so im looking at getting some chain lube for my rockhopper, but been on the web and there are loads to choose from.. Any ideas on what i should buy, dont want to spend a fortune so cheaper the better

Thanks in advance

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    White lightening wet ride in winter,white lightening Epic in summer.
    LINKY
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Used Chip fat everytime.....

Or when I'm feeling flush, finish line wet lube.
  • Fenwicks all purpose lube works fine for me in the british climate. Before i used Epic White Lightning with no problems.
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    White lightning wet.

But make sure you clean your chain good, then apply, and if you use your bike everyday then clean at least every 2 weeks as grit will get stuck to the chain.
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    You joke about chip fat, but when at skool I went cycling with a mate, who needed to lube his chain, but didnt have any proper stuff so he used vegetable oil!

His chain was a right state after about 10 miles - everything out there stuck to it! :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Finishline wet Teflon, or Halfords Teflon. Precise application is the key.
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    Don't waste huge lumps of cash (there is a recession, you know :roll: ). Get down to Halfords and line their pockets with, IIRC, £4.99 for a bottle of Finishline Wet. I've been using that since wheels were square :shock: I would just like to point out that I am lying about the square wheels
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Tried a fair few, the Finishline stuffs not bad. Best stuff I've found (for me anyway) is the White lightning heavy lube. Doesn't seem to pick up as much of the Peak district grit as others I've used...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • impished wrote:
    Don't waste huge lumps of cash (there is a recession, you know :roll: ). Get down to Halfords and line their pockets with, IIRC, £4.99 for a bottle of Finishline Wet. I've been using that since wheels were square :shock: I would just like to point out that I am lying about the square wheels
    You.......bike maintainence........dosn't compute :wink: Sorry, i think i am high on cold medication again :)

Seconded on the Finnish Line, pretty good stuff untill i left the pocket open on my ruck sack and lost it!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    supergrass wrote:
    Im still new to all this so im looking at getting some chain lube for my rockhopper
    Dry lube is for...dry conditions - the lube doesn't attract dirt and grit etc but it washes off easily and needs re-applying frequently. Wet lube is for the rest of the time but IME it does tend to attract a lot of dirt onto the drivetrain.

Personally I use dry lube all year round. After a ride I clean the chain along with the rest of the bike and relube it. I've also used Finish Line Krytech Wax and while it's amazing at keeping the drivetrain surgically clean it's not a very good lubricant.

Several tests have shown that a clean dry chain is very, very efficient and the lube is only needed to keep the chain clean.