My Pace RC405 - What would you upgrade?

Stuey01
Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
edited November 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I've just built up a Pace RC405 from all the parts I had on my SC Chameleon. As my Bday is coming up and Xmas and my GF wants to get me something, plus I just fancy some upgrades I'm shopping around for something to improve/bling up my ride.

The spec is as follows, whilst it doesn't need anything I'm looking to either lose weight, improve performance or just bling it up a bit:

Frame: med Pace RC405, white
Fork: Rockshox Pike 426 2008, silver
Wheels: Hope hoops, DT Swiss 5.1 on Pro2, black
Brakes: Avid Juicy 5 203mm Front, 160mm rear
Bar and stem: Raceface evolve AM 90mm stem, low rise bar
Crank: LX triple
Transmission: LX shifters, XT mechs, SRAM chain, LX cassette
Tyres: Spesh Eskar

UK trails is my bag, no XC racing or full on DH.

What would you upgrade?

What I am currently considering:

- Hope Mono M4's with floaters and braided hoses.
- Rockshox Revelation 2009 with maxle lite (shaves 1.4lbs off the front end!)
- Wheels: Hope Pro 2's in red with black spokes and a white synchros rim (for bling reasons...)
- Chainset: either add an e13 bash and middleburn 36t middle ring OR SLX chainset double and bash.

The other question is what to do with my SC frame. I could do the sensible thing and sell it OR I could slowly build it up again from the bits I upgrade on my Pace... What would you do?

Ta, Stu.
Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Fork is the obvious contender for weight reasons, but remember it is not as strong: though from what you say does not seem will be a problem.

LX cassette is suprisingly lardy, an XT will shave 1/3rd of a pound for just a few quid. And will not chew up the Hope freehub as quickly! XT shifters have a better action too.

May want to consider Formulas latest offerings for a light powerful brake.
  • Stuey01
    supersonic wrote:
    Fork is the obvious contender for weight reasons, but remember it is not as strong: though from what you say does not seem will be a problem.

May want to consider Formulas latest offerings for a light powerful brake.

Hmm, strength may be a factor, I'm no lightweight at 14.5st.

Which formulas?

If I change the cassette I think I'll go for the SRAM red one :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Revelation will hold tat weight no problems for the riding you describe, but not all out thrashing which the Pike obviously does better.

Formula K24? Lots of power, good weight.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    The Rev is still going to be stiff with the Maxle, albeit not quite as stiff as the Pike. I would consider an adjustable seatpost
    http://www.realcycles.com/products.php?plid=m11b0s167p1674
    Non remote version also available.

Possibly a carbon bar?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Stuey01 wrote:
    If I change the cassette I think I'll go for the SRAM red one :)
    XT is lighter (~100g IIRC) & smoother shifting than Sram
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • marika
    marika Posts: 392
    best upgrade you could make on that bike would be a dropper seatpost,i couldn't live without one now as they are ace
  • XT is lighter (~100g IIRC) & smoother shifting than Sram

Hmmm, in my experience I'd have to say I've found the Sram cassette to be much smoother and certainly lasts longer than the XT. But that could just be my particular setup so feel free to disagree! :wink:
  • I'd sell the chameleon TBH, it is a pretty similar bike to the pace and so wont really make a noticeable difference as a second bike. Plus they normally fetch a couple of hundred which is nice.

I'd change it to revelations (with the maxle). New wheels, ideally one of the industry nine AM sets from just riding along, or to save the pennies, 819 on xt hubs from merlin. XT cranks (they are gorgeous and light and stiff and strong) and then either x-9 or xt as is your preference.

For brakes, formula have just released their new R1 trail brakes, which would be perfect, or perhaps the mono-minis (m4 would be overkill)
  • Stuey01
    I'm getting the Hope brakes for my bday from the lady. Just ordered some mono M4's with 203 rotor on the front and a 185 rotor on the back. With braided hoses and floating discs.

Dropper seatpost is an intriguing option, but I did just buy a thomson one which cost me a packet, so not gonna go for that right now.

Still tempted by the forks to get for myself, tuneability of an air spring and weight saving I see as the benefits. The Pikes are good though so it only really makes sense if I choose to hang onto my SC, then rather than buying forks for that I upgrade the Pace and move the Pikes over.
  • Stuey01
    I'd sell the chameleon TBH, it is a pretty similar bike to the pace and so wont really make a noticeable difference as a second bike. Plus they normally fetch a couple of hundred which is nice.

I'd change it to revelations (with the maxle). New wheels, ideally one of the industry nine AM sets from just riding along, or to save the pennies, 819 on xt hubs from merlin. XT cranks (they are gorgeous and light and stiff and strong) and then either x-9 or xt as is your preference.

For brakes, formula have just released their new R1 trail brakes, which would be perfect, or perhaps the mono-minis (m4 would be overkill)

Er, the pace is a 5 inch travel full suspension bike, the Chameleon is a hardtail - quite different.

Why change the wheels? What benefit do those offer over hope pro 2 and DT swiss 5.1s I already have. The only reason I was considering changing wheels was for looks.
  • My bad, i thought it was the HT one, in that case, new forks for the pace (perhaps those tasty DT ones) and lighter wheels (see above) and keep the SC as a mess around HT fun bike!
  • Stuey01
    OK, just looked up the industry nine wheels. They look very sweet but are a bit rich for my budget...
  • If you want something inbetween the I.N. and the merlin ones, try the stans arch rims on xt hubs.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I was going to say Rev with Maxle before I got to the bottom of your post.

Just ordered a set of Roval Traversee wheels off Freeborn for £359 myself.

Very light, well-reviewed wheelset with switchable front axle. Sounds like it'd suit your riding style.

For less dosh, get yourself a carbon bar perhaps? Always bargains in region of £40-£50 on Merlin.