RP Training Group ride 29th/30th Nov?

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
Once again to maintain momentum and keep the series running - who's up for another spin this weekend? :shock:

The poll only refers to Sat or Sun this week as I think it's highly likely that it'll be another North Downs jaunt, and 8:30am seems to be a good option for the start.

If anyone has any other route suggestions then do say so - we have spoken about a Windsor loop in the past but I think to counter the lack of hills we'd have to do some serious mileage, unless someone knows a more hilly loop out to Windsor from the RP area? There was also talk of a spin down to Brighton and returning on the train, but maybe we'll save that for another time?

Saturday's run was a great ride so I'd seriously recommend it to anyone who has been hovering / loitering with intent / has commented in the past about planning to come along! I didn't plan the route either so I'm not just taking the glory here!! :D

As it happens I might be doubtful as I am out with friends I've not seen for a while on Friday night (yes I know, I said hangovers weren't an excuse! :roll: :oops: ) and might be heading south to Worthing on Sat, BUT if it is a Saturday ride I might just join the ride and continue south from the Dorking area instead of getting the train...

So, who's in? :shock: 8)

Comments

• longer only one hill but hit it with more miles in your legs

go deep out towards puttenham..thread south of woking to normandy > >puttenham>elstead>thursley (great rolling roads) bowelhead green>into the plaistow/dunsfold triangle ... north to one the hills and then home... once out south of dunsfold rich heads off to worthing
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    So far either day look alright for me but will vote later in the week when things are a little more certain.

One of my training routes: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/110kms-RP-Surrey

Can easily be shortened or lengthened depending on how people feel, and does incorporate Winterfolds hill..
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    - we have spoken about a Windsor loop in the past but I think to counter the lack of hills we'd have to do some serious mileage, unless someone knows a more hilly loop out to Windsor from the RP area?

What route do you take? I go to Virginia Water , left on to the main road for a few hundred metres, right on to Blacknest Lane (or some such name) ,and through a place caled Cheapside.
    This last bit throws in some hills that you wouldn't get if you stayed by the river bank!
    On the way back I ride up hill to Virginia Water again and retrace from there.
    I found this route on the 'net. Check out the Serpentine Club Sunday rides

Snake
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • I've a West London Combine AGM on the Sunday so I need schedule Saturday for my long ride next week. If you want hills on a Windsor run I can help....there's nothing steeper than Chertsey Bridge on the run out but coming back I can shove the Chilterns under yer wheels and terminate at Hillingdon.

If I turn up with a working bike that is..... :oops:
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Saturday's run was a great ride so I'd seriously recommend it to anyone who has been hovering / loitering with intent / has commented in the past about planning to come along! I didn't plan the route either so I'm not just taking the glory here!! :D
    Yeah it was great fun - just right, quite long, but some good hills (including obligatory Box Hill - who cares if we only got there after 40 miles and didn't feel fresh!?) and great descents - I cant get enough of that descent into Dorking from Coldharbour! As for Rich, highly recommnded even if we did go where I made us cos I was on the front for a large chunk of the ride :D

I am almost certainly in, though again, might have to do some landlordy type duties at some point during the weekend. I pray for weather like saturday, I htink that really topped it for me, and I know Phips was enthusing for most of the time we were riding through Abinger and Leith Hill.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Yeah it was great fun - just right, quite long, but some good hills (including obligatory Box Hill - who cares if we only got there after 40 miles and didn't feel fresh!?) and great descents - I cant get enough of that descent into Dorking from Coldharbour! As for Rich, highly recommnded even if we did go where I made us cos I was on the front for a large chunk of the ride :D

I am almost certainly in, though again, might have to do some landlordy type duties at some point during the weekend. I pray for weather like saturday, I htink that really topped it for me, and I know Phips was enthusing for most of the time we were riding through Abinger and Leith Hill.

Gavin - would be great to see you if everyone decides on a Saturday ride - though I hope your bike doesn't let you down :shock:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    Yeah it was great fun - just right, quite long, but some good hills (including obligatory Box Hill - who cares if we only got there after 40 miles and didn't feel fresh!?)
    What's this "we" - I was still feeling pretty fresh on the lap of RP at the end, it's just that my legs couldn't keep up with my head! :wink::lol:
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rich-Ti
    phips wrote:
    Rich-Ti: you still intent on doing your race at Hillingdon on the 6th?
    Yes, definitely - I can't wait! 8) :D
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    phips wrote:
    Rich-Ti: you still intent on doing your race at Hillingdon on the 6th?
    Yes, definitely - I can't wait! 8) :D

Hmm, so potentially we have only one more training ride before the keen racers (currently Rich) amongst us are presented with a dilemmma. What are peoples feelings about what to do with the coming weekend then? Given that Minet Park is essentially flat what would people say to a potential flatter faster ride out Windsor way? I hope we could find some long flat roads, with long distances between junctions and lights to allow some nice tempo riding at 25+mph or so and through and off for a bit of variety - and also to see if Rich can tow us along on the front :D.

Alternatively we can always do the Surrey Hills run again, but got for 28Km/H average? I will have been rested - I need to do a max effort time up Box Hill!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    I know a route out to Windsor that'll give us some long, flat 'train' sections - parts of this route should fit the bill. I suggest we head out by this route and try and find a more interesting route back?
  • Rich-Ti wrote:
    I know a route out to Windsor that'll give us some long, flat 'train' sections - parts of this route should fit the bill. I suggest we head out by this route and try and find a more interesting route back?

Parts of that route look very like my route to Windsor, except I head further south through Chertsey village and Wentworth as this adds in a couple of big-ring climbs.

As for interesting routes back....do you want leafy beech woods or downright agricultural? :lol:
  • Myk-ee
    I like GG's idea of some big-ring climbs out towards Windsor. I know Surrey fairly well so am always keen to try new areas.
  • felgen
    Parts of that route look very like my route to Windsor, except I head further south through Chertsey village and Wentworth as this adds in a couple of big-ring climbs.
    As for interesting routes back....do you want leafy beech woods or downright agricultural? :lol:

I am really quite liking the idea of some high speed through-and-off and tempo riding to mix it up a bit. Big ring climbs are my favourite, so I am really happy with that. GG do you have a route that you can post up to give us an idea - oh and I would like the leafy return - Chilternish maybe - chance to get on some lanes I might know as I used to live in Henley.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Done: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Wi ... Minet-Park

ignore the silly noodling around in Windsor, Bikely can't resolve the one-way system and the cyclepath across Windsor Bridge. Quite simply head into Windsor town centre, and at the bottom of the hill go straight on to cross the Bridge at the traffic lights.

The route will deposit us at either Minet Park for the cycle circuit, or The Wonder Cafe...

I'll need to be back in Ealing at 2pm for a massage and a chance to watch England monster The All Blacks :?
  • felgen
    The route will deposit us at either Minet Park for the cycle circuit, or The Wonder Cafe...
    I quite like the look of that route. I vaguely know some of the roads, so I am quite keen to try it. When we pass Minet Park, I dont suppose theres any chance of a quick few laps is there as I assume it is booked up by inline skaters or something.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Saturday is out for me again so if you go with Sunday I'll join you - otherwise it may have to be the Paragon spew fest :shock:
    Saturday 6th looking OK but would have to be a lunch time return.
    I think my fitness looks like it's going into hibernation at this point :x
  • Rich-Ti
    I should be ok for Saturday, but I am still going to open myself up to a world of abuse here as I may well end up bailing due to a hangover! :roll: :oops: :lol:

Might not bother going back to Worthing either, but even if I do I can always go post-ride so it's not the end of the world either way.

So, I'm going to vote for Sat, but just bear in mind I might not show! :lol:

Oh, and there's 2deg C temperatures and sleet / snow forecast :shock:
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rich-Ti
    Oh trust me, I know - but if last night's 'quiet couple' and today's resultant hangover are anything to go by then a 'planned session' on Friday means zero chance of getting up in time to meet you guys! :roll: :lol:

I'll still ride though, trust me :wink: 8)
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    a 'planned session' on Friday means zero chance of getting up in time to meet you guys! :roll: :lol:

I'll still ride though, trust me :wink: 8)

Dont worry, I will just keep calling your mobile, at 7am.. and give everyone else your number sothey can call you too :D Understand, we have your best interest at heart - didn't you say something about theres nothing like a bracing morning ride to clear a hangover? :?
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • I too am definitely out of this weekend but should be around for the 6th.
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • Rich-Ti
    Definitely out for me too - heading down to Worthing after work Friday now, sorry! :roll:

MTB for me this weekend now, WOOHOO!! :twisted:
  • felgen
    This weekends' ride is looking a little 'iffy' now, if Rich, Al and Mike, Mark can't make it, and Wilf hasnt popped up yet to say if he is making an appearance and Mike said he can make it but will reserve judgement until later in the week, its all looking a little quiet. I have some concerns about the weather, but I am still keen to ride, as long as its not icy or snowing. Can anyone who is coming say what they can make and we can work out what has the best chance of a reasonable attandance...?

Thus far I think we have the following (assuming Sat based on votes):

James P
    GG
    Myk-ee
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Myk-ee
    I'm still good to go on Saturday.

Given the average weather thats expected can I suggest the Windsor ride as some of those downhills in surrey can get a bit treacherous in the wet.
  • felgen
    Myk-ee wrote:
    I'm still good to go on Saturday.

Given the average weather thats expected can I suggest the Windsor ride as some of those downhills in surrey can get a bit treacherous in the wet.

Agreed regarding the above route choice. I have already had a spill as a result of traction issues, and also would prefer to get the pace up on some long straight roads- I have looked at the Serpentine Windsor ride, which looks quite good and if I could get the thing into my Garmin, that would be even better. Having said that, if GG is coming, he is better than any GPS as he rides out there a lot - just hope he has armoured tyres :roll:

I have contacted the Emu ad he is tempted, but ultimately weather dependent as for you and me - dont want a spill on ice :shock:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Myk-ee
    Could always get some nice studded tyres:

http://www.suomityres.fi/w106.html
  • I'll be there ... 9am I presume?
  • Myk-ee