campagnolo record or sram red?

miket1
miket1 Posts: 14
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
I know sram is lighter, but by how much? How does the shifting and braking compare between them?

Comments

• Campag always Campag.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I wouldn't even be considering Sram if the option was Record.
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    I've never used Sram Red, but it's certainly the best looking group IMO - that's not a justified reason for buying it though! :lol:

At the moment for me Dura-Ace would have to be VERY special for me to choose it over Campag, but I am very intrigued by Red...

Not sure on weight differences though, sorry
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Record gets you an extra sprocket now, and you can't have too much of a good thing.
  • I much prefer SRAM, and my bike currently has full campag record kit, and so far can't really see the advantages over cheaper groupsets. Also I don't really see the advantage of 10 speed over 9, just more to set up and go wrong.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    ror_b211 wrote:
    I much prefer SRAM, and my bike currently has full campag record kit, and so far can't really see the advantages over cheaper groupsets. Also I don't really see the advantage of 10 speed over 9, just more to set up and go wrong.
    Exactly the same to set up, and what more is there to go wrong? Just another click on the ratchet.
  • miket1
    miket1 Posts: 14
    After further research it seems as if campag is a no brainer if you can afford it. At the higher end (Record and Super Record) maintenane/service and durability are tops compared to the other brands.
  • SRAM Red and Record I thought this was the Road Beginners section !!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    miket1 wrote:
    I know sram is lighter, but by how much? How does the shifting and braking compare between them?

Try the Weight Weenies forums if you're worried about the weight difference.
    As for shifting and braking, both are used by pro teams and I think that if you look closely
    you'll find that aside from some cosmetic differences and a slightly different way of shifting that they both do the same thing in the end. Which one do you like the looks of??
    Or which one best matches your bike??

Dennis Noward
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would strongly suggest giving them all a go first. I just can't get on with the position of the shifters on campag and I hate the look of the new brifters. I waited for Super Record and new DA to come out before commiting, but ended up with sram red.

As far as I know there are no real reliability issues with any of the top groupsets (no one I know has had a problem) although if something goes wrong with a campag bit it's usually back to the factory, a club member had to send a campag brifter off and it was several weeks to sort out...

At this level it comes down to personal opinion and preference though. For every campy lover there's a campy hater. I'm a campy in-betweener. Hell, most people think I'm just camp!
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    ...and I hate the look of the new brifters...

...a club member had to send a campag brifter off and it was several weeks to sort out...
    Que?! :?

Brifter = shifter, right? Or is this some Campag speak I've never heard of?...!! :shock:
    An MTBer, but with skinny wheel tendencies...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    NapoleonD wrote:
    a club member had to send a campag brifter off and it was several weeks to sort out...

It's not as though you can fix SRAM or Shimano shifters though is it? (At least not no where as easily as campag shifters)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Brifter is the whole brake/shifter (hence Brifter) bit.

My LBS' can do some Shimano and Sram repairs on site but have to send off the campag stuff to the factory...
  • ermintrude wrote:
    SRAM Red and Record I thought this was the Road Beginners section !!

You're right. I started with 105 and have been using Ultegra for 2 years now.
    Only Pro riders should use Record/Dura-Ace/SRAM Red!