Avid Juicy 7 : Spongyness....

Bmjboy
Bmjboy Posts: 680
edited November 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
After a rather wet and cold ride yesterday, my front Avid Juicy 7 brake became quite spongy/long to pull and the lever didnt/doesnt return as quickly as the rear brake lever.

Is this a case of the old trick of holding the brake on overnight to settle it in a bit to get the piston(s) out enough, or a more troublesome issue or bleed required?

Thanks in advance.
"I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    check the disc is not being moved.

if yes clean and unstick/align caliper/pistons.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • What do you mean disc being moved?

Having the same problem with Avid 3s

You mean one piston pushing against the disc and not the other?

Ben :)
    Any man who lives within his means lacks imagination
    Oscar Wilde
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mrmanben
    apply brake does disc move?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • have you burned it up? the avids overheat when you look at them.take the cap off the front and if youve got black fluid, replace it.
    yep, my letter 0 key is bust
  • Bmjboy
    My rotor doesnt move - this is a relativly fresh install of the entire system (sub 50 miles covered) The pads are new (but bed in perfectly). Everything is on nice and tight.

My assumption is a piston issue, whereby a piston is not moving as it should, hence the slow lever return.

As mentioned in my OP I will leave the brakes tied on overnight which may help (cheapest option first and all that!)

Failing that, I will remove front pads, inspect pistons and clean accordingly. My technical know-how doesnt go any further than that, so may mean a trip to LBS.

Would air in the system cause slow lever return? - As I would buy a Avid Bleed Kit and bleed it myself, the How-To on YouTube looks quite easy to follow.

• impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    I've got 3's and had a leak which sucked in air. And yes, it did cause the lever to return slowly. Give 'em a bleed. Amazing how much air comes out of the fluid when pulling the syringe plunger.
    IMHO, it's a hell of a lot easier than some would suggest.
    If you're not confident have a look on Avid's site/Youtube and they've got a few vids of exactly how to do it.
    Oh, and don't forget to put the lid on the fluid ASAP :oops: Makes a right mess of the carpet :twisted:
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    OK, so maybe I didn't read to the end of your post ^^^ :oops: You've already found the vids.

Give Nick a PM. He might be persuaded to let you borrow his well-used (cheers Nick :P ) bleed kit.
  • Bmjboy
    impished wrote:
    OK, so maybe I didn't read to the end of your post ^^^ :oops: You've already found the vids.

Give Nick a PM. He might be persuaded to let you borrow his well-used (cheers Nick :P ) bleed kit.

Tut-Tut, Nick saw my problem on Sunday and he kept quiet (Im sure he wasnt even thinking about it though).... :lol:

TBH I will probably buy the kit, £20 which will last me a couple of years no doubt, at least I can try it.

Does that then mean that I have a faulty caliper? - or would some air ingress be something that "just happens" ?

• Bmjboy
    OK, so I left the brake tied on overnight, and this certainly improved on the spongyness and slack braking feel its now much more solid. Im now left with still a slow(ish) returning lever. Its not mega slow, but not instant like my working rear brake.

Is this still bleed related, or is this now a sticky piston issue?

GRR!

• gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    With regard to the bleed kits, if I was to buy an Avid Bleed Kit for my Juicy 5s, and say in the future switched to a different manufacturer of brake - would the kit work - or are they only for Avids?
  • I have 7's as well.

I have another issue with them. The pad contact dial on the actual brake levers does the opposite to which it is meant to. i.e you turn it in the 'in' direction and they go out.

Anyone else have this issue???