Recovery Drinks

mclarent
mclarent Posts: 784
I use the SIS recovery drink, which I like (other recovery drinks are available :wink: ) However, friend of mine is a comp weight lifter, reckons you can get the same benefit from blended bannanas / milk / honey...

Anyone know any different?
"And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
- eccolafilosofiadelpedale

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    I don't know about the home recipe - but there are certainly better value recovery drinks on the market!

Try www.myprotein.co.uk to buy protein powder (which is all rego is) - they also have some specific formulas for immediate post workout recovery and also a bedtime specific protein drink.

I use regualar (cheap) whey protein as a post workout drink (for both weight training sessions and tough cycle intervals) which is £10.49 a kilo - works out at 30p per drink - a lot less than the reg sachets.
  • Al_38
    Al_38 Posts: 277
    Rego is essentially: protein, carbohydrate (maltodextrin), a multi-vitamin tab and possibly some electrolytes. So yes you can mix your own - banana milk and honey would probably have a similar composition. However you also need to think about how long it takes for things to be released into your system. Milk and other dairy products are quite slowly released - great if you are just about to sleep. Maybe less so good if you want to recover asap. Also there is the added inconvenience of having to carry a blender about.

If you know roughly what you are doing then it can be a fair bit cheaper to buy whey protein or some variety, some carb powder, vitamin tabs and mix your own using fruit juice for flavouring (dilute down with water to taste).

Al
  • is it just me or does rego give anybody else really bad wind?
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    Take a serving of whey protein isolate in water with a similar amount of dextrose. Cheap and gives your body what it needs Carbs and Protein.
  • mclarent
    is it just me or does rego give anybody else really bad wind?

Not wind, but it does really make me very bloated. Bananas def give me wind though!!

I know what everyone's saying about cost, but I have a 16kg tub i sgood for 20 sessions, and you can pick it up for £15. For me that's a months supply, and I like the convenience, plus I wouldn't really trust myself to mix my own! On the absorbtion rate, glad you said that, cos that's what I used on my mate! :wink:
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
  • I use PSP22 during exercise and a protein shake I get from ebay link below
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %26otn%3D4
    It's not the size of dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.
  • Doesn't Nicole Cooke use milk as a recovery drink? I can't take the stuff in winter, makes me far too snotty.

I'm on Torq Recovery at the moment, seems to do the trick, and far better than cheap whey.

Nice to see a Simon Doughty quote by the way
  • mclarent
    Doesn't Nicole Cooke use milk as a recovery drink?

She might do, but don't tell her sponsors! http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/competitions/?id=4969
    This prestigious evening with Nicole Cooke is being hosted by EAS, her sports nutrition partner for the last four years. Its Energy Bars, Energy Gels, istonic drink Isodrive and recovery drink Race Recovery have played an essential part in Nicole’s training, performance and recovery.

EAS has supported Nicole since 2004 and she has remained loyal to the brand, trusting its effectiveness, integrity and doping free guarantee to fuel her senior cycling career from its early days to today’s high point…
    Nice to see a Simon Doughty quote by the way

Thanks! Although, really I should be thanking him... :D
  • pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    Whatever you do though, don't leave the last few drops of ReGo in the bottom of the bottle in your gym bag for 4 days. That's not pleasant...
  • mclarent
    pbt150 wrote:
    Whatever you do though, don't leave the last few drops of ReGo in the bottom of the bottle in your gym bag for 4 days. That's not pleasant...

I'll be suprised if you managed to get that out!! The stuff is like concrete!!
  • pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    Thankfully I'd managed to get all the powder to dissolve, but the liquid had turned from pink to brown and gone gloopy, which to my trained eye and nose is a BAD THING.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Doesn't Nicole Cooke use milk as a recovery drink? I can't take the stuff in winter, makes me far too snotty.
    I don't know about Nicole but Kristin Armstrong endorses a brand of choco milk (chocolategold.com), she is sponsored by the United Dairymen of Idaho. I use soya milk products instead of dairy these days for a number of reasons.

There are plenty of less processed alternatives to these powders and so on, I am inclined to think there's an element of marketing hype involved.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Yazoo chocolate milkshake after a big ride- about 65p!
    Chuck it in the blender with a banana and a few scoops of generic cheap whey protein, no need to buy expensive branded recovery drinks. Skimmed milk, whey and a few scoops of ice cream is an even cheaper alternative.
    Also, +1 for myprotein.co.uk - I buy the cheapest whey at 10kg a go, works out just over 7 quid a kilo.
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    anyone heard of forgoodnesshakes? ive got a free bottle appartently from entering a bradley wiggins competition a while ago.

I use milk as a recovery drink after most rides and I think it works but thats "raw" milk straight from our farm which is much too dangerous for most people...
  • Al_38
    Al_38 Posts: 277
    Yeah the fogoodness shakes are allright - I'm not entirely convinced by some of the flavours. Personally I think they are essentially yazoo or frijj with a vitamin tablet in them - so quite expensive for what they really are
  • Been mixing my own with powdered whey, milk and nesquik and seems to work fine. I usually can't stomach food for a good 2 hours but this tides me over quite nicely. I tried having it with just water/squash but i'd rather have the extra protein/fat/sugar that the milk gives.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Doesn't Nicole Cooke use milk as a recovery drink? I can't take the stuff in winter, makes me far too snotty.

It might be an idea not to drink it all then... Try soy or rice milk in your drinks.