Is CERA to blame for Kohl's apparent disillusionment?

SpaceJunk
SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
edited November 2008 in Pro race
What do you make of these quotes from Kohl?:

"probably half the peloton is on CERA."

Kohl wants to protect his supplying doctor, saying "He gave it to me at my insistence. He has nothing to do with sport or doping. If I would give his name, his existence would be destroyed," according to the wienerzeitung.at. The 26-year-old further said that "It had nothing to do with a doping network."

Link: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/nov08/nov27news2

Good to see he isn't naming his doctor. Why should he? After all his doctor probably gave him the CERA thinking it would be used for an honourable cause. Surely it wouldn't be illegal for a doctor to prescribed a drug like CERA to a patient, when the patient doesn't have a need for it.

I wish my doctor was so considerate :D

Comments

• squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    His comment about half of the peloton being on CERA makes it even more frustrating that the UCI is unwilling to re-test the samples from the Giro. Is is because they are too worried about the number of positives that would show up? All we ever hear about is how the peloton is supposedly clean now, yet Kohl says they were all talking about CERA.

I also found Kohl's comment about initially saying he didn't want to know about CERA when he heard it was a blood booster interesting. To me that sounds like the words of someone who is happy to use other banned substances. Otherwise his words would have definitely been very different.
  • yep - think they know what might happen if they re-test on the giro and are very very afraid of the damage it will do - and I can see their point
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Interesting what he said. I can well believe huge portions of them are on CERA - You'd have to be a bit blinkered to have watched cycling this year and believe it was clean.

As someone pointed out, people took Kohl looking knackered as a sign of cleanness but nothing could be further from the truth.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • stephan schumacher's mum is a doctor, and they were room mates.
    put 2 + 2 together and all that.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    What I found most interesting was Kohl's comment that he first heard of CERA last year and looked it up on t'internet.

It would seem that word was already out about CERA and its benefits before the drug was formally approved which leads me believe that it was in use last year. I think this would have required access to either "old" clinical trial material (most of the Phase 3 trials were in 2005) or to pre-launch quantities, both of which are considerably more difficult than putting the squeeze on your local GP.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    November 07 on Cutting Edge Muscle...

BennyCole asked "Has anyone heard of SERA? Greetings, Benny"

RapidGains replied "Hey Bro. Slow released EPO. Good stuff. Italians all over it..." and then some kind of schedule with a few more "bro's" thrown in.
  • Ah......but unless Kohl has filmed, slept with, interbred or is related to, above the level of second cousin, how would he know? :roll:

Kind of contrasts with Pierre Bordry's estimate. :(
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    What's this "bro" stuff? It sounds like it's quite popular - must be loads of folk using it...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • wotever bro.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    stephan schumacher's mum is a doctor, and they were room mates.

If was to partake in illegal drugs, my mother is the last person I'd want knowing about it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • SpaceJunk wrote:
    What do you make of these quotes from Kohl?:

"probably half the peloton is on CERA."

Why didnt more test positive at the Tour then?
  • we all know half the peloton is on cera, they only test about 1/8 of the peloton.
    just do the math.
  • if stephan schumacher was taking drugs the first person to suss him would be his mum and his close family.
    RichN95 wrote:
    stephan schumacher's mum is a doctor, and they were room mates.

If was to partake in illegal drugs, my mother is the last person I'd want knowing about it.
  • we all know half the peloton is on cera,
    they only test about 1/8 of the peloton.
    just do the math.

well i would assume that the people who win are the most likely to be on CERA and these people are tested. 180/8= YOU do the math :lol:
  • yer thats them they all positive
  • 'Kohl wants to protect his supplying doctor, saying "He gave it to me at my insistence. He has nothing to do with sport or doping. If I would give his name, his existence would be destroyed," '

Any doctor who gives a patient drugs that they do not require to treat an underlying medical condition, just because they insist they want them is very dodgy indeed. This is very dangerous practice and it is more important in the grand scheme of things that this doctor is exposed and struck off the medical register than Kohl is banned from cycling.

(Dr) Ron Kerr
  • iainf72
    Who did Benny shop at T-Mobile?

Could it have been the only person in the 06 Tour squad who's not been bust yet?
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:
    Who did Benny shop at T-Mobile?

Could it have been the only person in the 06 Tour squad who's not been bust yet?

Is that Rogers or Kloden?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    we all know half the peloton is on cera, they only test about 1/8 of the peloton.
    just do the math.
    Who is the We?
    I'm not privi to that information.Do please divulge your sources
    just do the math....is this an American maths forum I've stumbled on?
    Next thing it'll be "the winningest" etc :(
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    Why is it that Kohl gets slated as a liar when he tests positively, then beleived without question when he talks about others doping?
    I don't believe that this year was clean, nor necessarily cleaner than previous years, however, any six year old caught cheating's first response is normally, "well, everyone else is doing it!" It's up there in the litany of crap-excuses-about-why-I-just-had-to-dope. Kohl won't shop his doctor, but is happy to shop half the peleton? C'mon....
    This quote deserves as much credence as Tyler's stupid excuse & Schumi's nonsense.
    None/half/all the peleton might be doping, but I'll draw conclusions from other sources that at least have a tiny semblance of congruency....
  • cyclists cheat, its a fact.

we all know half the peloton is on cera, they only test about 1/8 of the peloton.
    just do the math.
    Who is the We?
    I'm not privi to that information.Do please divulge your sources
    just do the math....is this an American maths forum I've stumbled on?
    Next thing it'll be "the winningest" etc :(
  • Richrd2205 wrote:
    This quote deserves as much credence as Tyler's stupid excuse & Schumi's nonsense.
    None/half/all the peloton might be doping, but I'll draw conclusions from other sources that at least have a tiny semblance of congruency....
    The difference is that Kohl clearly wants to get back to cycling but stating that half the peleton is on cera is not exactly going to endear him to his future team mates. In my eyes that makes him more believable (spitting in the soup and all that)
  • yer thats them they all positive

so 22 should have tested positive but only a handful did. Not saying that Kohl is wrong with his claim - people may have taken CERA and not tested positive for various reasons - but, as people above have said, why should we believe him that half are taking CERA?
  • i understand that you want to believe most of the peloton are clean and theres nothing wrong with that. i just believe they are all dirty.
  • Kohl is now saying he didn't mention that half the peleton was on CERA. Through his lawyer he's saying the media has misinterpreted what he said.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    DavMartinR wrote:
    Kohl is now saying he didn't mention that half the peloton was on CERA. Through his lawyer he's saying the media has misinterpreted what he said.

He meant to say that half the peleton weren't on CERA.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • :D
    Straight and accurate as always LD
    Dan