Armstrong looks like drama queen on wheels

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited December 2008 in Pro race
I had intended never to start a thread on "he who shall not be named", but, since this had such a lovely title.........

Not my words, but a guy called Mike Celizic. Apparently, he's a big noise in frontline US sport. An opinion to be taken seriously:-

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/27793457/

Anyhow, one for all the "haters" to get their teeth into. :wink:

Dennis, do you know this Celizic guy? 8)
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• And don`t forget this one:

Lance's Francophobia just a convenient excuse

It's weird that Armstrong is so nervous about the French now. Maybe it's because he's spent so much energy smearing them to avoid explaining the banned drugs in his urine.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/iteam/ ... a-con.html

First Obama wins, now articles like this. It`s almost enough restores one`s faith in the USA. :wink:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I had intended never to start a thread on "he who shall not be named", but, since this had such a lovely title.........

Not my words, but a guy called Mike Celizic. Apparently, he's a big noise in frontline US sport. An opinion to be taken seriously:-

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/27793457/

Anyhow, one for all the "haters" to get their teeth into. :wink:

Dennis, do you know this Celizic guy? 8)

Never heard of him. Then again I'm not a big reader of "sports" things. More of a novel kind of guy. Read Lances first book. More out of curiosity than anything else. Ho hum
    yawn. Give me a good novel anyday.

Dennis Noward
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dennisn wrote:

Never heard of him. Then again I'm not a big reader of "sports" things. More of a novel kind of guy. Read Lances first book. More out of curiosity than anything else. Ho hum
    yawn. Give me a good novel anyday.

The internetz says a novel is "an extended fictional work in prose; usually in the form of a story"

Sounds like a reasonable fit for LA's first book?

:wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I think he's been reading too much Kafka.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • dennisn
    teagar wrote:

If you're talking about me I can assure you that I have not read any Kafka. Maybe some day. Strange as it may sound I do like D.H. Lawrence. Where does that put me on the weird scale? Really liked Point Counterpoint by Huxley.

Dennis Noward
  • I wish there was a 'unlimited' category in th GC's

Like mixing WWF & Drag Racing. They could take anything, have surgical implants, body fairings, you name it. Who WOULD NOT pay to see that??

Until then, Lance is, imho, a guy that has been racing or recovering since he was knee high to a 48cm. and his maturity got stuck in his teens.

I couldnt hang w LA for one stage even if I was loaded on coke, meth, heroin, oxygen or caffeine.

He may be a jerk, but he's our jerk and he is 'the Man' on a bike
  • Another hater thread...why am I not surprised... :?

Bu t Lance's fear is logikal...remember what happened to Eddie...??? :? :? :? He know the french hate him... it's human to be affraid...

By the way if he's not riding the TDF, instead the Giro (and hopefully the Vuelta)
    thats just a good thing...I never saw him in pink;)...

You american and Lance haters will grab on anything to bash him...pathetic... :? I'm betting you fear him, thats why you hate him...
  • :lol::lol::lol:

There's hate hiding behind every post!
    There's hardly anything on LA, here.
    The point of the thread was to find out who Celizic is,
    in terms US sports journalism.

The answer seems to be he's not as big a noise, as I was led to believe.

Being misled: Now, I hate that, don't you? :wink:
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Fear him? What, are you suggesting that he's going to come round to my house and duff me up because I think he's a pillock? I'll take my chances :wink:

Isn't Celizic a big noise in baseball reporting, which is about as big as sport gets in the US?
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Mike Celizic is NBC Spots' "sports opinion" guy. He's a guy who supposedly knows every sport important to US fans (football, baseball, basketball, NASCAR) better than anyone in those particular sports. The recurring theme, as far as I grasped from the times I've seen his name around, is that Celizic makes some kind of judgement about wether the Denver Broncos were justified in changing their Safety Back for the Monday game against the Miami Dolphins (or some such nonsense), everyone thinks Celizic is completely stupid, sports writers for local papers spend all week debating this pointless story and the pattern starts again the next week.
  • micron
    he doesn't seem to have a very favourable opinion of Armstrong, does he?
  • dennisn
    micron wrote:
    he doesn't seem to have a very favourable opinion of Armstrong, does he?

I'd be willing to bet that his "opinion" of Lance, or anyone or anything for that matter,
    is whatever sells copy the best and gets his name mentioned. And you're right, I don't
    even know him. :wink::wink: Just a guess, but does that sound like the media these days?

Dennis Noward
  • micron
    Slagging off Armstrong sells? Deriding the great cancer comeback hero as a drama queen is what the great American public want to hear? Seems like times have changed enormously if that's the case...
  • dennisn
    micron wrote:
    Slagging off Armstrong sells? Deriding the great cancer comeback hero as a drama queen is what the great American public want to hear? Seems like times have changed enormously if that's the case...

I don't know that what he says about Lance is what the American public, or any public
    for that matter, WANTS to hear but it would seem that it's what gets said writer HEARD.
    And that's what he wants. Hell, he may think the world of Lance but all the good stuff has already been said so in order to be HEARD OR READ he turns to a bit of mudslinging.
    I really don't think that what he says reflects much of anything, let alone what a whole country thinks. There are a lot of people out there who love reading the, so called, dirt
    about people. Doesn't even have to be remotely true, just dirt. Hence the tabloid papers and such things. People I talk to don't hate Lance. They think of him as a really good bike rider(go figure). I would say that there is something of a Lance overload here. His picture is everywhere or so it seems. Much like Tiger Woods there is only so much of him you can take.

Dennis Noward
  • micron
    Dennis, at ,last we agree - there is definitely only so much of Armstrong anyone can take :wink:
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    dennisn wrote:
    teagar wrote:

If you're talking about me I can assure you that I have not read any Kafka. Maybe some day. Strange as it may sound I do like D.H. Lawrence. Where does that put me on the weird scale? Really liked Point Counterpoint by Huxley.

Dennis Noward

I meant Lance really. Kafka's worth reading mind. And not just because it'd make the post make more sense!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • dennisn
    micron wrote:
    Dennis, at ,last we agree - there is definitely only so much of Armstrong anyone can take :wink:

In that case, we will both develop a bad case of the Michael Phelps blues in the not to distant future.

Dennis Noward
  • Can anyone tell me who the french DS is who is meant to have told the public to get Armstrong?

Is there any quote or where is this coming from. This is teh hub of teh issue. Was anything every said or reported or is this a lot of hot air ...?
  • derby
    derby Posts: 114
    Can anyone tell me who the french DS is who is meant to have told the public to get Armstrong?

Is there any quote or where is this coming from. This is teh hub of teh issue. Was anything every said or reported or is this a lot of hot air ...?
    Is Bassoons a DS now? :wink: Seriously, I doubt very much this ever happened. It is just a case of the media slut whoring himself for attention. Of course, his 'merican fanboys all have their jocks in a twist and fists curled in defense of their "winner".

The idea that this is somehow a reasonable deduction based on the Merckx incident is of course erroneous and completely fabricated paranoia. Fan sentiments were inflamed at the time of the Merckx incident because Merckx was threatening Thevenet for GC. No comparable circumstance exists today and it is silly to think that the French are going to attack Armstrong, why?, to keep him from winning his eighth tour? Why didn't they try to keep him from winning his sixth? Or his fifth? Or his seventh? Just complete media balderdash designed to exploit anti-French sentiments in some not so intelligent or informed fans and more-so in the general public who read this crap and swallow it hook, line, and sinker.
  • dennisn
    derby wrote:
    Can anyone tell me who the french DS is who is meant to have told the public to get Armstrong?

Is Bassoons a DS now? :wink: Seriously, I doubt very much this ever happened. It is just a case of the media slut whoring himself for attention. Of course, his 'merican fanboys all have their jocks in a twist and fists curled in defense of their "winner".

The idea that this is somehow a reasonable deduction based on the Merckx incident is of course erroneous and completely fabricated paranoia. Fan sentiments were inflamed at the time of the Merckx incident because Merckx was threatening Thevenet for GC. No comparable circumstance exists today and it is silly to think that the French are going to attack Armstrong, why?, to keep him from winning his eighth tour? Why didn't they try to keep him from winning his sixth? Or his fifth? Or his seventh? Just complete media balderdash designed to exploit anti-French sentiments in some not so intelligent or informed fans and more-so in the general public who read this crap and swallow it hook, line, and sinker.

Somehow I doubt that "THE FRENCH" are going to attack Armstrong.This would mean the entire country will be involved. Seems like just a bit of a stretch to me. Now I would believe that a single person(sort of one in a million) might "lose it" and do something really stupid and he MIGHT even be French or American or English or..... Who knows what drives people to attempt to do harm to someone involved in an athletic contest?? All kinds of reasons, from nationalistic pride to outright hatred of French or American or English or..... people.
    I do think your "media balderdash" and "hook, line, and sinker" are right on the money.

Dennis Noward
  • iainf72
    dennisn wrote:
    Somehow I doubt that "THE FRENCH" are going to attack Armstrong.This would mean the entire country will be involved. Seems like just a bit of a stretch to me. Now I would believe that a single person(sort of one in a million) might "lose it" and do something really stupid and he MIGHT even be French or American or English or..... Who knows what drives people to attempt to do harm to someone involved in an athletic contest?? All kinds of reasons, from nationalistic pride to outright hatred of French or American or English or..... people.
    I do think your "media balderdash" and "hook, line, and sinker" are right on the money.

Dennis - It was Armstrong who put this idea out there. You can read an uneditted transript of the interview on the Guardian website. His words were that managers of French teams were going to line people up to attack him or something.
  • He is just like a fighter talking up a boxing match to increase advertising and (self) promotion. I doubt he believes it.
    Dan
  • micron
    He sounds like a paranoid pillock - or a twitterberry twit
  • iainf72
    He enjoys telling the world how many times he's been tested on Twitter, doesn't he?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Teacing my mom how to twitter 12:42 PM Nov 24th from TwitterBerry

Please tell me that isn't a euphemism for something :shock:
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    You guys are amazing!

After all the Lance bashing here , you still follow his twittering?

:shock:
    6288 Posts: 131
    i actually quite enjoyed reading a few pages of his twitterings ... better reading than a 6 page interview printed over a photo so you can barely read it.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Just checked his twittering out.

Gee, what a convenient little device that could be. If only Rasmussen had this back in 07.

Imagine:

17/5/2007 8.30 am Just walking around the streets of Mexico now.
    19/5/2007 7.30 pm Having a tequila whilst wearing my sombrero.

If only ...

But back to LA. Isn't Nice in France? If I were him I wouldn't be telling the world this - those 'crazy' French people might try and knock him off!
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    afx237vi wrote:
    Teacing my mom how to twitter 12:42 PM Nov 24th from TwitterBerry

Please tell me that isn't a euphemism for something :shock:

Along as he doesn't 'teac' her how to spell.
  • SpaceJunk wrote:
    But back to LA. Isn't Nice in France? If I were him I wouldn't be telling the world this - those 'crazy' French people might try and knock him off!

Might be bogus.
    He was actually getting into those French restaurants. Hope he doesn't get food poisoning from that rich French fare. Out will come a conspracy theory.

A good tool for the Fanboy. Feed the fantasy that's he actually getting close to his hero. Part of the team.....