remote riding...

vikingboy
vikingboy Posts: 128
edited November 2008 in MTB general
Im just planning on taking some rides into some remote areas of the Uk (wales, scotland etc) which will include a one or two night stay under the stars.

Ive not done this before and am just planning on what equipment I'll need and what size carrying capacity I will need. I really want to be light and mobile and to be able to cover ground quickly rather than weighted down with lots of home comforts.

So far Im planning on a lightweight one person tent (Terra Nova), Mountain Equipment down sleeping bag, MSR pocket rocket stove & gas, thermarest 3 season sleeping mat, katadyn hiker filter and a change of clothes plus usual food stuff.
I'd appreciate some comments on what tools I should carry to be able to service my bike in case of any failures (full suspension Titus) and also advice re carrying devices, Ive been looking at the various camelbak packs and the kreiga hydro pack but Im not sure how large i should go.

id really appreciate advice of anyone who undertakes trips like this.

thank you in adv

Comments

• Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    If it were me, i'd get some first aid and mountain survival training before thinking about kit.
  • Is this in the summer or now.
    Tent, sleeping bag, and mat !! I'd just go with a decent bivvy bag and a lightweight tarp that can double up as groundsheet or fly sheet.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    I'd advise against going on your own, what if something goes wrong ? A group of people would be a much safer option.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Sir HC wrote:
    I'd advise against going on your own, what if something goes wrong ? A group of people would be a much safer option.

+1 for that.

2 people absolute minimum. Don't forget that a lot of remote areas just simply don't have any mobile phone coverage. If you're on your on and you have a major incident, you're screwed unless you've got another body with you who can fetch help.

It doesn't matter how good you think (or know) that you are, remote trips alone are asking for trouble.

If you absolutely must travel alone, you need to plan your routes with waypoints, and an ETA for each one, making note of any possible bail-out routes. You then need to leave a copy of your route with someone else and stick to it like glue.

Again, First Aid and mountain survival training are an absolute must. Reading about it just doesn't compare with being able to practice in a controlled environment.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    vikingboy wrote:
    Im just planning on taking some rides into some remote areas of the Uk (wales, scotland etc) which will include a one or two night stay under the stars.
    I got into MTBing when I was working my way through the Munros. The first 100 or so were pretty straightforward - just park up and start walking - but the rest were remote and needed either an overnight bivi and/or some way of doing the walk in-and-out as quickly as possible... :idea: MTB !

TBH biking with a rucksack and minimalistic camping kit was a pain and it took all the fun out of riding a bike off road, it was just quicker than walking. Yes it was an 'experience' but not one I'd care to repeat.
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    I went on a 2 day mission in October just past, didnt find that wearing a back pack which was full to burst was much of an issue. I got used to it very quickly. A mate and I split the tent between the two bags, a sleeping bag each and a set of warm clothes.

Just got a fire going when we camped up and cooked some noodles and soup etc. Waking up to Loch Lomond on a crisp day with the sun shining is a great experience.

Camping was.....brutal. We had to camp pretty quickly because it started to bucket down so we didnt have much choice and the spot we chose was no the best. I would do it again I guess but in summer or use hostels.
  • where every you go do, have a back out plan. phones don't like water and may easly be out of range of reception.

IE go though "what if" as these sort of areas can and do kill the unwary. have fun but as others have said prepare for problems.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    It is a risk but if you are prepared for the worst you'll minimize that risk. If Winter you'll want a tent for sure, if summer a bivy bag might do.

Tools - multi tool with all relevant allens, chain tool, power links, maybe spare chain even, tubes, folding tyre, maybe rear mech depending on what you are doing, reliable pump (or two cheap ones), shock pump, pads, maybe screwdriver(s), maybe adjustable spanner (questionable, might just be me), decent lights and back up lights. Decent Waterproofs and warm/wind proof clothing (more than you think necessary). Waterproof socks / boots gloves and hat. Always spare socks! Helmet is a must. Food is key but persoanlly I never took a stove - everyone tells me this is wrong but personally I'd stop, eat quickly go to bed straight away. I took a water filter device (cost a bit) which can make virtually any water (even from a bog) drinkable when pumped through it - light weight and very useful. Water bottle (as well as Camelbak). First aid kit is necessary - size depends on if you know what to do with it! Map, compass and maybe GPS if you are rich and useless (joking). Mobile.

The main thing IMO is tell a couple of relaible people where you are going (exact route with map) and when you'll be back. Also check the weather forecast and be prepared for the unexpected. Luck helps too......good luck!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    P.S. Sounds fun!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • this site is a good read. covers every thing from 1 day to 5 day epic rides

click on the offroad adventure tab
    http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/

d
  • Hey Mate,

That sounds like a great adventure bud - good luck!

Ive got the poket rocket cooker and there ace, its like a bunsun burner!

The tents going to be the killer? You cen get waterproof down bags now and gortex bivis? Ive slepted in a bivi a few times and Ive gotta say its mighty grim! you cant really cacoon yourselve as they get full of condinsation and you end up gasping for air so you rarely zip them all the way up. So if it rains your a bit wet :) Its grim but certainly doable - I would personaly take the Bivi over the tent in this situation for the weight saving!

Full water proofs is a must - if you get soaked and it turns cold your a gonna :)

A side from that, its all luxeries really and how badly you want them or can be bothered to carry? Plus all that safty stuff :)

Sounds great though mate - good on ya!
    There is nothing more unequal, than the equal treatment of unequals!