Entry Level Hartail

spindidler
spindidler Posts: 4
edited November 2008 in MTB beginners
Can anyone give advice?
I'm looking to buy a Hardtail MTB for around £250.00, the must have item being disc brakes.
I have a shortlist of Giant Boulder Disc, Claud Butler Stone River, Felt Q220 and Carrara Vulcan.
Does anyone have any good things to say/horror stories about any of these??
Thanks

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Choice gets a lot better if you can spring for just another 50 notes.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • I had a raleigh AT30 which I liked very much and was in that price range. Only regret was that at that price range the bikes are heavy and I wanted to get hydraulic discs almost straight away. Obviously raleigh bikes are not that fashionable but I found it to be very well built and it happily survived a hammering around the peak district.
    Neil Pryde Bura SL
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Of the original list I would discunt ther Felt - thier budget bikes are not very good. the others are all good machines, the Vulcan being the best specced. try them out see what feels right.
  • Thanks guys. I'll check out the Raleigh, and the Carrara spec does look ok - theres just something that feels wrong about buying a Halfords bike?
  • Just seen a Diamond Back Sorrento Disc on the Web for £200 (normally over £300) I know their BMX's used to be good (showing my age now!!) any comments on their MTB's?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends how old and what condition. Can you check its condition, or know what to look for? Will it fit? You will have no warantly either - so buying from a shop has many benefits.