old newbie.

M1llh0use
M1llh0use Posts: 863
edited November 2008 in MTB beginners
afternoon all!

getting back into MTBing after a loooooong lay off and I'm after a bit of advice really....

I've got an old Kona Cindercone (steel frame, no front sussies) ad am wondering what to do. Wondering if it's really worth sticking in a set of Tora's or bombers and some juicy3s or to stick it on ebay and buy a Cannondale F6 disc or a Specialized rockhopper disc.

opinions?
{insert smartarse comment here}

Comments

• Steel frames are cool, But it is a case of whether you can get modern parts to fit...

Is the headset a-headset or threaded, and 1" or 1 1/8"?

If it has 1 1/8" then I'd say renovate. Stick in a new headset (cos the old one will probably have knackered) some toras (spaced internally down to 80mm) new drivetrain, brakes and wheels. It'll be fairly nice.
  • Not sure about threaded or what but it is a 1 1/8 but would need a 220mm steering tube.

How do i fing out about the threading thing? and will it be an issue to fit sussies if it is?
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • Does it have mountings to fit disc brakes?
    Neil Pryde Bura SL
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Look here > http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=10 or just take it apart.

If its threaded ride over winter, flog in the spring and get either of your suggested bikes, if its not buy some Toras, probably cheapest on Merlin Cycles and a front disc, then ride a bit longer, probably next summer :lol: and upgrade then.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Oh and good afternoon, welcome back to the madhouse!