Quick (hopefully) question on setting up a bike.

Lethar G
Lethar G Posts: 23
edited November 2008 in MTB beginners
hi guys

I'm a bit new to this mountain biking malarky... and have a quick (hopefully) question.

I've just purchased a Genesis Core 20, which I gotta say looks awesome, plus was cheaper than the Core 10 which I was going to buy! (£400 from Bikedock.com)

Anyway, its come in a non ready to ride state!

I had to attach the bars, and front wheel, so nothing too major.

Anyway, the fork seems to rattle a bit, unfortunately as its a bit late havent had a chance to ride it about, but on applying the breaks theres a little "clunk" it sounds like the fork, either around the headset or the fork bit itself.

Simlarly, when the front wheel of the bike is lifted there is a little 'drop' which seems like there is space either side of the headset.

Any ideas on how to sort it out? Is this normal? Or should i just take it to the LBS!?

Thanks in advance!

Graham

Comments

• Sounds like you haven't donteyour stem up in the correct way.
    i *think* you should tighten the horizontal bolts on the side (make sure it is pushed down on the fork steerer all the way) and then do the one on top of the stem.

(it could be the other way round, i only know when i do it my self...usually because i get it wrong too :lol: )
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Sounds like you haven't donteyour stem up in the correct way.
    i *think* you should tighten the horizontal bolts on the side (make sure it is pushed down on the fork steerer all the way) and then do the one on top of the stem.

(it could be the other way round, i only know when i do it my self...usually because i get it wrong too :lol: )
    Wrong!

with the stem bolts slackened off tighten the top cap bolt till it just removes any play in the headset (feel this by applying the front brake & rocking the bike to & fro whilst placing your other hand over the headset cups)

Then tighten the stem bolts up.

this link will also help: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65 (scroll down 3/4 of the page to headset adjustment)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Superb!

Thanks for the speedy response, I've done it that way and no problem at all, no more clunk!

Thanks again!

Roll on the weekend!!!!!
  • Andy_B wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Sounds like you haven't donteyour stem up in the correct way.

Wrong!

with the stem bolts slackened off tighten the top cap bolt till it just removes any play in the headset (feel this by applying the front brake & rocking the bike to & fro whilst placing your other hand over the headset cups)

Then tighten the stem bolts up.

this link will also help: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65 (scroll down 3/4 of the page to headset adjustment)

i did say i couldnt remember!