Sportive help.

johnnyc71
johnnyc71 Posts: 178
My first post in the Sportve section!

I currently cycle 100 - 140 miles per week. My longest single ride is 40 miles, at an average speed of 14.5mph.

I'm hoping to take part in some sportives or audax events during 2009 - can anyone recommend any events in the midlands area?

And

Will I be up to the task? Or should I just keep on increasing the distance I cycle?

Comments

• Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    I don't know much about Audaxes, but the Sportive season goes a bit quiet until March next year.
    A good one to start with in the Midlands would be The Mad March Hare:

http://www.madmarchharesportive.co.uk/index.php

About 60 miles. Mostly flattish but with one b*itch of a hill just before halfway :twisted: I know - I rode up it on Saturday!! :shock: :shock:

Another one a couple of weeks later is the Epic Cycles Spring Challenge. Only 50 miles or so but VERY hilly. I did it last year as my first sportive and found it tough but I definitely don't regret doing it - I will be doing it again this year now I am a little bit fitter :oops: .

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/challenge.htm

With the distances you are doing, and at that average speed, you will be fine. Probably wouldn't hurt to try and do a 50-60 mile ride beforehand and you will be OK. Your weekly mileage is considerably more than I manage :)

Hope this helps,
    Gary.

PS Where abouts are you in the Midlands?
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • johnnyc71
    johnnyc71 Posts: 178
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for that Gary - useful info. I'm live in East Birmingham - so must of my cycling is around Coleshill, Maxstoke, Meriden ect.

I think I'll need to prep myself for those hills :shock: But I'm now five stone lighter than I was 23 months ago - those hills should be getting easier!!!
  • Last year I did a good sportive called "Squire and Spires" based around Northamptonshire. It was really good. Can't see any details on this years event yet but watch out for it.

David
  • Will do David - cheers.
  • Gary D
    johnnyc71 wrote:
    Thanks for that Gary - useful info. I'm live in East Birmingham - so must of my cycling is around Coleshill, Maxstoke, Meriden ect.

I know that area well :)

I used to go to secondary school in Coleshill and lived in Water Orton for a few years.

If I remember, there are some decent hills around there if you go and look for them :wink::wink:

Good luck!
    Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • I used to dread hills, but I've got to the stage where I've deluded myself that I actually enoy them.

I can often be seen blazing up the hills at an impressive 8 - 12 mph :shock: I have a relaxed climbing pace, since my body has an overpowering desire to avoid pain, discomfort and suffering!
  • I've taken the plunge and entered the The Mad March Hare Sportive. Wish me luck!
  • Gary D
    Good Luck! :D:D

I will hopefully see you there. I have entered, but just need to sort out childcare arrangements. :shock:

Gary.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Good on you Johnny...

That will be a great enrty for the sportive scene...it will also give confidence for further events...as I'm sure it will only be your first step in the 'major suffering' staircase....

P.s Losing 5 stone?....now THATS whats really great about cycling...it can give a new lease of life...and in doing so gives you the opportunity to ride through all the stunning area's of our Island....
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I reckon you'll be fine. If there is a local club or a group you could get out with , it would help. Group riding makes sportives easier.
    Keep up the good work!
  • Thanks for the support - I appreciate it. Quite exciting to have a target to aim for.

I was in touch with Beacon RCC last night - planning on going on a club run with them and seeing what happens!
  • pprince
    pprince Posts: 141
    johnnyc71 wrote:
    I've taken the plunge and entered the The Mad March Hare Sportive. Wish me luck!

Don't worry, I'll look after you :lol:

Paul Prince
    Mad March Hare Organiser