Buying new entry level bike - advice needed!

Peakylaad
Peakylaad Posts: 14
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
I'm looking to purchase a road bike with a preferred* budget of around £500-£550 and have been considering 3 models locally.

1) C.Boardman comp (Halfords)
2) Giant defy 3 ( MK Cycles Bolton)
3) Trek 1.2 (Mike Cookson Cycles, Whitefield)

All sellers are extolling the virtues of the bikes they stock, but i wondered if any of you have experience of any of the above bikes.

Although the bike seems ok, Halfords is probably the least likely choice, due to adverse feedback on the store generally and also the fact that I'd like to support one of my LBS's.

*To be honest, though, i like the look of the Specialized Allez Sport, but finding it hard to justify the extra £200 cost!!!

What do you reckon?

Comments

• your post made me realise how expensive 09 bikes are. from your 3, the halfords one is the better spec surely?

the other two are sora all over, no?
    the boardman is a mix of tiagra and 105?

no contest.

do the shops not have any left over '08 models to make the competition fairer?
  • ascurrell
    ascurrell Posts: 1,739
    I beleive Evans Cycles [and a few others] are selling the 2008 version for £600,
    personally i think it's always worth looking at older models that are being replaced as substantial savings can be made. Cheers Scurry
  • Wiggle have heavily discounted the Focus Variado which is Shimano 105 equipped at £615.99, I know is a little more than your budget but a cracking buy... I should know, I bought one for my wife. By the way, I went for a Cuelbro.

They also have a Giant SCR 1.5 with Tiagra throughout for £550 which is nice as well! And closer to your budget.

If you can stretch it consider the Focus... excellent bike for the money.