Returning to cycling

Booboocp
Booboocp Posts: 1,156
Well I went out today on a training ride with a friend, my first since taking part in the Marmotte in 2007 and then having to stop due to my illness.

Hard to imagine how hard it was for me. Short of 3 hours and towards the end I did not have enough strength to turn the pedals round - very hard to accept that my previous good fitness has totally gone.

The only positive I took from it is there is now only one way to go. I'm returning to training and will do the same ride again in a few months...
<b>Event Website:</b> http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk

Comments

• mathi
    mathi Posts: 110
    Well done mate , good to have you back 8)
  • Booboocp wrote:
    Well I went out today on a training ride with a friend, my first since taking part in the Marmotte in 2007 and then having to stop due to my illness.

Hard to imagine how hard it was for me. Short of 3 hours and towards the end I did not have enough strength to turn the pedals round - very hard to accept that my previous good fitness has totally gone.

The only positive I took from it is there is now only one way to go. I'm returning to training and will do the same ride again in a few months...

Fantastic! Next spring you'll be up to your best...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Glad to hear you are back on the bike - that first ride back after a long layoff is always the worst.
  • As another BAC (thats Born Again Cyclist) then the first few weeks are the hardest. Don't get disheartened, keep it up, especially with the support of a mate. A few weeks you'll start to feel the difference.
  • Best wishes on your road back to cycling! :lol: hey, if Lance can do it...

I also had to take a long break from cycling (18 months!), due to illness and work. i've been back on the bike since spring time this year when i treated myself to a cycling holiday on gran canaria. It was the perfect way to ease back into it. it was very frustrating in the beginning when i realized how unfit i've become, but 7 days of cycling in the sun helped a lot.

have you thought about taking a 'winter sun' holiday? it does wonders to your senses and should help with finding your legs again... if you book fast enough you can even catch up with the Astana team training on Tenerife end of November...
  • Booboocp
    Booboocp Posts: 1,156
    Simonjo, would love a training camp, but a sudden unexpected redundancy has screwed up that option.

So I'm using my free time not only to chase employment, but get back out on the bike. Another 3.5 hours today and another bonk, strange how your body 'forgets' how it used to be so economical and I now realise I need to be taking food on rides. :oops:
    <b>Event Website:</b> http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Excellent news Derek!
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Keep at it... I returned to road cycling too after an knee injury. It's pretty tough but persistence is the key! :wink: