Bike rack to fit BMW Z4

JAGGY
JAGGY Posts: 167
edited August 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi there

Does anybody know of or can recommend a bike rack to fit a Bmw Z4.

Cheers

Comments

• Camion
    Camion Posts: 60
    Go here www.saris.com

I'm looking for one for BMW cabriolet and thought i'd struggle but these guys cover pretty much all cars.

Start from £35 for sentinel 2
    Colnago Extreme Power - Dura Ace
    1980s Colnago Master Steel - Super Record Delta
    Brompton M3L-X Raleigh Nitro MTB
    1981 Viscount Sport Orange Evo 8 single speed
    Specialized Langster Carerra Subway zero
  • LOVE my Bones!!!

Quality rack, no movement at motorway speeds even fully loaded!!
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Do you have boot rails?

I have the BMW original Z4 ski rack (now discontinued) which attached to the boot rails. I've put a San Remo 3 bike carrier ( http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... 0000000000 ) onto the ski rack and can carry my road bike without any problems. If you can find one on e-bay or find a dealer with one stuck in the back of the parts dept. then you might pick one up cheap.

The Ski Rack is only rated for 15kg so you'd only be able to carry one bike and it would be a squeeze to fit 2 on anyway.

BMW do make a newly designed ski/bike rack which will carry 2 bikes (or 2 snowboards/skis) but compared with the Saris stuff recommended below I guess it will be much more expensive.

If you are interested in seeing a picture of what I did, let me know.
  • I have the bones RS. I find there is a fair bit of vertical movement in the Z4 boot lid when bikes are munted. Does anyone else find this with their rack of choice? I dont want to damage the lid or worse, have it come off with bikes mounted!
  • sorry to hijack your thread! :oops:

does anyone know what bike rack will fit a MY01 subaru impreza wrx with the low spoiler?
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    And a Vectra Hatch Sri - the spoiler seems to get in the way with most of them...
  • Have a look on http://www.saris.com - Bones or RS model
  • Camion
    Just take the spoiler off, the astra doesn't go quick enough to warrant one! :lol:
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    A lot of people are saying that the legs damage the paint or bumper of your car.

Anyone found this as I am thinkinh of getting some for my Ferrari ... Na just joking, ford fiesta.
  • Camion
    I have the sentinel 2 and the metal clips it attaches with haven't scratched the car yet, its a new BMW but then again, its a company car and I hate my job so if the car was to get blown up (without my bike on the back) I couldn't care less.

If you want to protect your paint job then maybe cover any contact points with fabric or rubber caps?