map case recommendation

inaperfectworld
inaperfectworld Posts: 219
edited November 2008 in Tour & expedition
i am wanting a map case for touring but one which does not obstruct the cycle computer. i have a halfords case that i bought about 12 years ago which does the job well but is not waterproof. i since bought a zefal case, which is fully waterproof but obscures the computer.
i have tried sealing the seams on the halfords case but water still gets in somewhere. i've not seen anything better.i suppose i'll just have to find waterproof poly bag to go inside if there is nothing else. i don't tour with a bar bag either

Comments

• I often photocopy the section of map I will be using onto A4, then fold this in half and get it laminated. It's cheap. What you get is a stiff, waterproof map that lasts years.

If you do this, I guess it would clamp into most map holders. I use a barbag.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    There's a Klikfix one that I got from Spa Cycles. It's waterproof and in the portrait mode the computer is visible.
    T Farr
  • ronstrutt
    ronstrutt Posts: 3,170
    Much as I love them as a collectable item, I find that maps are a right pain on a bike. Too large a scale and they're unwieldy and you're forever refolding them to show the relevant bit. Too small a scale and they don't show enough detail.

In the bad old days before technology, I used to type out detailed route instructions and stick them inside my bar bag mapholder. The map stayed inside my pack for use as a last resort.

Nowadays I use a GPS with my route loaded onto it. I still take a small scale map with me in case I want to go off my planned route, and I also have OS maps downloaded onto my PDA.
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    I agree Ron, they are a nuisance especially when you have to use reading specs. It's so nice when you've finished a tour to go out on your local roads without a map!!
    T Farr