Serous foot pain after 1st time using SPD's.

HarryX
HarryX Posts: 36
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
Hi folks,

I only got a bike around 4 weeks ago, and have so far only used it at weekends, as I'm not confident enough to go out on the roads in the dark after work.

Earlier this week I got some SPD pedals and shoes to suit. I went out with the new pedals for the first time yesterday, did 23 miles over up/down country roads and felt great after. The SPD's seemed to make my cycling more efficient and they felt comfy.

However, I woke up this morning with foot pain in my left foot. The out left edge of the sole is so sore it's difficult to walk and I had to abandon this morning's ride out. My foot doesn't look swollen or red, just very sore. It feels as if the bone itself is bruised.

Could this of been caused by the new pedals/shoes ? The cleats have a fair bit of slack in them so I can move my foot around a bit as I get used to them, and they were installed by the cycle shop I bought them from.

Any insight would be appreciated :)

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    How tight are the shoes?
  • HarryX
    Not particularly tight. I can move my heel up and down a bit in them, and there's no pressure on the top of my foot.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    How rigid is the sole of the shoe? If you can flex your shoes too much then I would suggest that is it.

I was getting this kind of thing on my last pair, they were a couple of years old, and after riding any decent distance I was finding that the side of my foot was not being supported properly by the shoe, kind of almost wanting to do a rolling motion.

Best way of finding out of course is I suggest consult a podiatrist if the pain continues?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • HarryX
    The shoes seem very rigid, but I've never tried cycle shoes before so I have nothing to compare with.

They are brand new Shimano M121G mtb shoes with A520 pedals http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycle/products/shoe.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524441780334&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302050756&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=1408474395181674&bmUID=1226844318409
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Perhaps adjusting the cleat position might do it. If your feet need to be slightly better supported which is possibly what it is then this might do it for you.

From personall experience I'd say like anything it can take a while to get it to a position that just feels right, I have had an issue recently which changing the angle of my SPD cleats and it took a few days of riding and adjusting to the get them right to be comfortable.

BTW I have the M540 pedals similar in size to the 520's.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • HarryX
    I reckon I'll give it another go with the cleats as they are and see if I get the same pain afterwards. If I do then I'll look into adjusting them.

The funny thing is I went for my ride at 8am and was back at 9.30. Went shopping and the pains didn't start til about 3pm or so, so Im wondering if I did something to my foot just walking around the shops and not on the bike.
  • Shiman shoes do have a reputation of being a bit tight in the ball of foot and toe box.

Often mag articles have suggested a size or half size up on the box size to fit.

I dont think its a problem with spd's, just a not great fit shoe.
    Bianchi c2c Alu Nirone 7 Xenon (2007) Road
    Orange P7 (1999) Road
    Diamond Back Snr Pro (1983) BMX
    Diamond BackSIlver Streak (1983) BMX

Oh, and BMX is the *ultimate* single speed.
  • I'd be more worried that the pain is only on one side of your body...
  • HarryX
    Juju_uk_68 wrote:
    Shiman shoes do have a reputation of being a bit tight in the ball of foot and toe box.

Often mag articles have suggested a size or half size up on the box size to fit.

I dont think its a problem with spd's, just a not great fit shoe.

I didn't know that, but the shoes aren't too tight.
  • HarryX
    I'd be more worried that the pain is only on one side of your body...

Yeah it's wierd isn't it, maybe it was nothing to do with the bike ride as the pain did not start until several hours after the ride.

My foot it much better today but still sore, Ill get back out on the bike when my foots 100% better and see if it happens again.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Is it possible that the outside edge of your foot is rubbing against the inside of the shoe? Had the same problem with stiffened mountaieering boots. (I have fairly broad feet.) Similar symptoms as well, ok on the day, but agony next morning. Turns out it was developing into a bunion!!! Had to ditch the shoes and chalk it down as experience.
  • HarryX
    I guess it's possible, I'll stick the shoes on tonight and check them out.
  • I had exactly the same pain - although in my right foot, just before switching over to spd's...turned out the shoes I was wearing were slightly too big and the sole to flexible. Stiffer soled shoes solved it, but then a similar problem came back on the spd's...cured it by loosening the cleats for more float and wearing some thinner socks to give me a bit more room for movement in the shoes...
    One day, I'm going to buy a cottage in a small village and become its idiot!
  • HarryX
    cured it by loosening the cleats for more float and wearing some thinner socks to give me a bit more room for movement in the shoes...

Thanks, I'll try loosening the cleats at the weekend too :)
  • If it's any help, I had a similar problem with an aching calf muscle, but after the first couple of 20-milers, the pain stopped. Don't know if the shoes / cleats adjusted, or my leg did....
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    try this... stood still on the bike next to a wall

put the shoes on and clip in and look at the position of the feet - then take the shoes off and put for unshod feet on the pedals to compare, the second one will tell you where the feet want to be and you can adjust your cleats to suit
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • gandhi
    gandhi Posts: 187
    I had that problem with my MTB shoe. I rotated my cleat so I was more heel in, and the problem went away.
  • HarryX
    Thanks all for the advice - lots of things to try over the weekend.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    HarryX wrote:
    cured it by loosening the cleats for more float and wearing some thinner socks to give me a bit more room for movement in the shoes...

DO NOT loosen the cleats! That's an awful idea. If, when you twist your foot, the cleat is loose, it will resist your twisting and stay in the pedal. You will fall off because you won't be able to get your feet out without taking the shoes off.
  • HarryX
    whyamihere wrote:
    HarryX wrote:

DO NOT loosen the cleats! That's an awful idea. If, when you twist your foot, the cleat is loose, it will resist your twisting and stay in the pedal. You will fall off because you won't be able to get your feet out without taking the shoes off.

I see what your saying but I got the LBS to put the cleats in the shoes, and he said he hasn't done them too tightly so that they have a bit of play in them. Isn't that what punkypossums's saying ? Just loosen them a tad ?
  • I had the same problem myself but in my right foot

My foot keep leaning into shoes because the cleat is too small

I brought some Look Keo pedals and cleats to match
    Problem solved, Not have a problem since
  • HarryX
    CCGiro,JM wrote:
    I had the same problem myself but in my right foot

My foot keep leaning into shoes because the cleat is too small

I brought some Look Keo pedals and cleats to match
    Problem solved, Not have a problem since

:shock:

I've just spent £100 on shoes and pedals - don't tell me I need to replace them :(
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    You don't need new pedals and shoes! You just need to work out the 'natural' angle for your feet.
    More problems but still living....