Upgrade Bianchi via nirone

RedAende
RedAende Posts: 158
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
Had a via nirone for 1 year, Xenon gears, miche hubs/ambrosio rims.

What would be the first upgrades, lighter wheels ?

Will use through winter then wish to upgrade come the spring for trying sportives, budget £150.

Red Aende, Red Spesh Hardrock, Wine Mercian, Rusty Flying Scot

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Tyres to Pro Race 3's, and then wheels. The rest I'd upgrade as they wear out.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Might worth buying some wheels now if you're thinking about upgrading. There's some pretty decent bargains to be had on 2008 stock. You can then upgrade as and when your wheels wear out.
  • Get a pair of Campganolo Zonda's and a pair Michelin Pro Race 3's. Excellent upgrades.

If you're on a budget then just go with the new tyres.
  • RedAende
    PRO RACE 3'S get excellent review in Dec cycling plus so I will start there.

Campag Ventos, are they sufficiently superiors to the standard wheels to make a difference, or save up for Zondos ?

• I've had Ventos before. They are OK, a touch on the heavy side and the spokes aren't the best in the world. In my opinion the Zonda's are much much better. Approx 300g ligher and great for climbing.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    The Zonda's are much better wheels than Ventos. If you're going to that budget though, there is a lot more to choose from. I went for Kysrium Elites for my new build recently, as I have had a set on my best bike for 4 years with no issues at all.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • RedAende
    OK, tyres now and new wheels in the spring, will use old existing wheels on the salty roads.

I have a local wheel builder (Big Al) so will talk to him also.

Thinking about the etape caledonia but its only 2 weeks before Edinburgh marathon which I am running so need all the help I can get on the hills.

• RedAende
    Local wheel builder making me wheels. Mavic Open Pro rims, Campag Veloce hubs, £140 all in.

Will fit Pro race 3 tyres, reckons the whole package will be significantly lighter than what I have.

I am told the existing Ambrosio deep section rims are very heavy.

• RedAende wrote:
    Local wheel builder making me wheels. Mavic Open Pro rims, Campag Veloce hubs, £140 all in.

Will fit Pro race 3 tyres, reckons the whole package will be significantly lighter than what I have.

I'd be interested in what weight these come out as, be great if you could ask your wheel builder.
    TIA