Brummies - Anyone fancy a Sutton Park 3 lap challenge?

whyamihere
whyamihere Posts: 7,695
Sutton Park is roughly 8 miles for a lap, meaning that 3 laps will be a little bit under 24 miles. It's the biggest urban park in Europe, so we can show those London types how it should be done properly.

There's a route of the lap here: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/38571

I'm probably going to go and ride 3 laps this weekend. Anyone else interested?

Comments

• liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    I stay in Brum during the week and sit on my turbo in an apartment :-( This sounds like a great escape from the roads. How long, approximately, do you reckon it would take to get from the Post Box (Malmaison) to Sutton Park on a weekday evening by car? The A38 always looks shocking .....

... can't do weekends tho, unless you want to beast around the surrey hills :lol:
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • whyamihere
    I have no idea about cars, as I've never been into the city centre by car (despite living here 20 years). There is a train from New Street to Sutton though, takes about 20 minutes, and the ride from Sutton station to the edge of the park is literally a minute. London Midland are really good with bikes, no limits.

At a guess, the car would take around 30-45 minutes in the evenings.
  • liversedge
    good call. I'm up for a crank round on wed eve about 6.30?
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    liversedge wrote:
    I stay in Brum during the week and sit on my turbo in an apartment :-( This sounds like a great escape from the roads. How long, approximately, do you reckon it would take to get from the Post Box (Malmaison) to Sutton Park on a weekday evening by car? The A38 always looks shocking .....

... can't do weekends tho, unless you want to beast around the surrey hills :lol:

Anything between half hour and an hour, depending on traffic if you're leaving City Centre around 5pm.

Is the plan to do the ride on the roads around the outside perimiter of the park, or is there a decent track around the edge inside? I've ridden round a few times with the kids, but always tended to ride through the middle.

I could be tempted although not sure about availability at the moment.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • whyamihere
    Darren, I always use a route around the outside. It is possible to get most of the way round on roads within the park, but not all the way around the edge. Bikely link in the original post shows the route I use.

liversedge: as long as the wind is below 30mph, I'll see you there. Do you want me to meet you at the train station and show you the way?
  • Slow Downcp
    I'll see what I'm doing on Wednesday Chris and may join you both, although it means I'll have to dig my lights out - what pace are you planning on?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • whyamihere
    I don't think there's much point us going for times (there will still be a bit of traffic about, and we'll have an unfair advantage compared to people doing it solo), so around 16-17mph average for a bit of a social ride?
  • Slow Downcp
    Sounds good - was worried it would be a 20mph+ thing. Not done as much as I'd liked to have this year, so fitness is well down. Hour and half for the three laps sounds good though, assuming I can get out of work in time :D
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Ooh, a chance for RP Vs SP?! Good work chaps - always good to see some useful training tools being adapted to local areas 8)

I'm sure there'll be an RP3 2009 thread in the new year so why not set up an SP3 thread too - it's great motivation to see yourelf climbing (hopefully) the ranks!

For what it's worth, keeping at it now should see some massive time improvements come Spring - I reckon that's when I'll be at my RP3 bestest! :wink::D
  • liversedge
    will be there, i'll pm you mobi numbers.
    --
  • liversedge
    oops won't be there, work nonsense kicks in. apologies.
    --
  • liversedge wrote:

Do this instead Loops around the park aren't very challenging

http://www.bikeradar.com/routes/?bpath=maps%2Fbike-path%2FBirmingham-City-Cycles-Thursday-Winter
  • whyamihere
    Darren: Do you still want to do the park loop, or shall we head over onto Cannock Chase?

liversedge: How about next week? Can't do any other evenings this week than tomorrow unfortunately, but next week would be good if work allows.
  • Slow Downcp
    Hi Chris - I did think about crying off yesterday as I've had aches and cough all weekend, but the fresh air will do me good :-)

I don't mind either way. I was going to drive straight to Sutton park from work 'cos I work in Birmingham but if it's just us, then better to ride out from home. What route do you take round the Chase? Or do you fancy a blast round the lanes - there's a couple of 25-30 mile loops I do (one to Whittington and back, the other to Brewood). I may have to get a new front light tomorrow lunch though - the one I normally use is okay around lit streets, but may not be good enough down unlit roads/lanes.

It's gonna be windy tomorrow though by the look of things!
  • whyamihere
    Lanes will be great actually, it's where I normally ride too; Shenstone, Lichfield, Tamworth etc. If you send me a text when you're getting ready to go I can come and meet you at your house if you want?
  • Slow Downcp
    Sounds good - I normally get in from work around 6.00, depending on traffic, so should be ready to go by 6.15ish (if I get my kit ready tonight!).
    Can you PM me your mobile number please and I'll let you know when I'm back - I didn't save it and I've deleted the previous PM :oops:

Looks like we'll have to take the RP lot on our own! :twisted:
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    round the outside - why - too many traffic lights, Streetly Lane too dodgy - nearly got knocked off there week ago saturday on way to the sutton club run, poor surfaces.