Shimano RS10 wheels

Onan
Onan Posts: 321
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
Anyone ride on em? How are they for fat blokes? looks like a low spoke count. I'd be worried, given I'm 15 and a half stone.
Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.

Comments

• JGS
    JGS Posts: 180
    I was 14stone 7lbs when I got mine and give them a complete beating. Canal towpaths, potholes and dropping off kerbs doesn't seem to harm them at all. I'm actually quite surpised they are true at all, they have a minute wobble, but nothing more than a few mm.
  • Onan
    JGS wrote:
    I was 14stone 7lbs when I got mine and give them a complete beating. Canal towpaths, potholes and dropping off kerbs doesn't seem to harm them at all. I'm actually quite surpised they are true at all, they have a minute wobble, but nothing more than a few mm.

14 stone 7? You're wasting away mate.
  • I'm looking for a new bike at the moment and loads of the ones I've looked at come with RS-10s. I've read so many bad user reviews of them though that's it's totally putting me off getting them. Apparently they break spokes and need trueing all the time.

Obviously this doesn't reflect JGSs experience, so maybe the only people that post reviews are the people that have been unlucky with them :roll:

I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on them though, because they do seem to be ubiquitous at the moment.

Steve
  • 15 stone = 95kg.

I think they're great wheel for riders under ~75kg. I have two or three sets which are specced on my smaller and medium bikes. The front wheel only has 16 spokes and the back 20. That really isn't enough for clydesdale-type riders.

Seems to me that the heavier people are, the more they need truing. That's been my experience.

I've never seen a broken spoke on one but there was a chap on here who was finding that getting a replacement spoke was more difficult than he though.

I tend to choose Mavic Aksiums for my L and XL bikes.
  • Onan
    15 stone = 95kg.

I think they're great wheel for riders under ~75kg. I have two or three sets which are specced on my smaller and medium bikes. The front wheel only has 16 spokes and the back 20. That really isn't enough for clydesdale-type riders.

Seems to me that the heavier people are, the more they need truing. That's been my experience.

I've never seen a broken spoke on one but there was a chap on here who was finding that getting a replacement spoke was more difficult than he though.

I tend to choose Mavic Aksiums for my L and XL bikes.

Yeah, I figured as much. I was offered a free upgrade to RS10s on the bike I ordered, since the orginal handbuilt soras are out, and initially said yes, but I'm having second thoughts now. I've asked them if they'll swap them out for something of a similar price.

I've mentioned that I'm a fatty, and here's hoping they take that into consideration.

:oops: