A Sunday in Hell - De Vlaeminck's tactics?

preeby
preeby Posts: 22
edited November 2008 in Pro race
Hi all,

I've watched this DVD again several times over the last few weeks while on the turbo, and it's fascinating every time. However, De Vlaeminck's tactics always puzzle me.

As Merckx seemed to be on a bad day, De Vlaeminck was probably the strongest rider there... But apart from when he sent two team-mates up the road, he seemed to spend the entire day on the front. He attacked as soon as they hit the first pavé section, with over 100km to go, and even after he forced the final selection, he drove it like a man possessed, and appeared to cover all the attacks in the run-in to Rbx.

He even lead them into the velodrome, and lead out the sprint, and hadn't enough to hold off De Meyer or Moser in the end, quelle surprise...

What was he doing? Had he no choice, as he was the strongest guy there, and no-one else, apart from Moser, would do any work? Was he too worried about Merckx getting back to them?

There other possibility is that there was a 'I'm going to ride them all off my wheel' hard-man mentality that he, and possibly Merckx had at the time, and that it was simply a different style of racing.

What do folks think?

Either way, it's an amazing race to watch, and himself and Moser were the stars of the show. I'd recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to get their hands on a copy.

Do you know the five lamps ?

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I remember watching it on the Beeb a few years ago, but can no longer find any suppliers for the DVD. Anyone know of any?
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    edited November 2008
    I think he was thinking Hard-man tactics, he had the legs on both Moser and Demeyer. I'll either ride them off my wheel or I'll beat them in the sprint.

How did he win in 74,75 and 77? Was it simular tactics as 76?

Is there any video from the other years?

Merckx was flogging himself trying to ride the others off his wheel, but he must of known he wouldn't catch De Vlaeminck, Moser and Demeyer?
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Garry H wrote:
    I remember watching it on the Beeb a few years ago, but can no longer find any suppliers for the DVD. Anyone know of any?

Not cheap, but :- http://www.bromleyvideo.com/shop/shop.p ... 21271381bd

Edit, sorry, I've just noticed its out of stock, suggest trying flea bay.
  • Garry H wrote:

I just did google shopping and came up with this-

http://www.videozone.co.uk/rp=193164,info=3655890

I've never used them and I don't know if its in stock though? There was a vhs version on E-bay price at £3.00 ?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Lovefilm.com have it too if you fancy a rental.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Garry H wrote:
    torrent
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I'm worried Andy Turnbull will be along in a minute to complain that *spoiler* wasn't used in the thread title...

:D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • It's such a fantastic film. I like all the early bits, and the behind the scenes stuff at the start - it's so atmospheric.

I wish someone would make a similar film now. Or does anyone know of something similar?
  • steve2021 wrote:
    It's such a fantastic film. I like all the early bits, and the behind the scenes stuff at the start - it's so atmospheric.

I wish someone would make a similar film now. Or does anyone know of something similar?

Yea the mechanic at the start checking over the bikes and the noise of the chain rattling has to be one of the best film entries to a flim ever.
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    Is that the one when he fits the wheel in a nanosecond without realy looking?

If so I've got a copy somewhere although it might be a "only plays on a PC" version.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,128
    steve2021 wrote:
    It's such a fantastic film. I like all the early bits, and the behind the scenes stuff at the start - it's so atmospheric.

Have you seen Road To Roubaix? I saw it at the London Bicycle Film Festival last month and whilst it's not as good as 'A Sunday in Hell' it's still well made and gives a good view of what Paris-Roubaix is all about.
  • According to Pascal Sergeant's book 'A Century of Paris-Roubaix', Roger De V. won in a sprint from a group of about 4 in 1975, but won on his own in the other years.

About the 1976 race he says 'as well as preventing any attacks and to psychologically impress the others [De V.] led over the last few kms at a very hot pace. Naturally he was the first on the track and visibly too sure of himself, he led out the sprint like a debutante'. De V is quoted, 'they stayed on my wheel for 20 kms. I sprinted badly because I was nervous, but I was strong'.

Incidentally, the DS of Maertens & Demayer later claimed that he played a vital role in Demayer's win by pretending to the leading group that the crashed & retired Maertens was still chasing behind, thereby freeing Demayer of any obligation to set the pace at the front.
  • Have you seen Road To Roubaix? I saw it at the London Bicycle Film Festival last month and whilst it's not as good as 'A Sunday in Hell' it's still well made and gives a good view of what Paris-Roubaix is all about.[/quote]

Thanks - that does look doog. I think I'll get it.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Whole film, ' A Sunday in Hell '- can be viewed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLriwXcQ ... re=related

In 11 parts, each of around 8 minutes
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    pat1cp wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Not cheap, but :- http://www.bromleyvideo.com/shop/shop.p ... 21271381bd

Edit, sorry, I've just noticed its out of stock, suggest trying flea bay.

Yeah, I had already tried Bromley. But they informed me that they had no idea whether it would be re-released.

I think I'll watch it on You Tube. That's tonight sorted out :)
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Back to the thread...

Didn't De Vlaeminck make his name by riding people off his wheel?

That and amphetemines can affect your judgement ( :o ). There, I said it!

Not saying he was on them though of course...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • preeby
    preeby Posts: 22
    According to Pascal Sergeant's book 'A Century of Paris-Roubaix', Roger De V. won in a sprint from a group of about 4 in 1975, but won on his own in the other years.

About the 1976 race he says 'as well as preventing any attacks and to psychologically impress the others [De V.] led over the last few kms at a very hot pace. Naturally he was the first on the track and visibly too sure of himself, he led out the sprint like a debutante'. De V is quoted, 'they stayed on my wheel for 20 kms. I sprinted badly because I was nervous, but I was strong'.

Incidentally, the DS of Maertens & Demayer later claimed that he played a vital role in Demayer's win by pretending to the leading group that the crashed & retired Maertens was still chasing behind, thereby freeing Demayer of any obligation to set the pace at the front.

Thanks for this disquieting_museeuws, fascinating insight by Mr. Sergeant. I must look out for a copy of his book!

Do you know the five lamps ?
  • The book is by Pascal Sergent (not Sergeant, my mistake). Well worth getting, but looks pretty rare now, & none in the UK I can find by a quick search.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,128
    If you're looking for a secondhand book always use Abebooks;

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc ... is-Roubaix

4 available - the cheapest of which is £30.