Where can i find this tyre?

Jings
Jings Posts: 3
edited November 2008 in The workshop
Hi

I'm looking to replace one of the tyres on my bike because it's got damaged. I was hoping to just get a replacement of the existing one but I'm struggling to find anywhere that stocks it, which I find a bit bizarre

I'm after a Maxxis Detonator 28c (700 x 28c), does anyone know where I might be able to get one?

Other sizes (e.g. 23c and 25c) seem to be much harder to get hold of and there's a lot more choice, but I'm a bit of a newbie and not too sure if I can change to thinner tyres?? (I have a Boardman Performance Hybid Team)

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• you shouldn't have any problems going thinner from 28mm if one wanted to. normally the problem is the other way around, in that there isn't the room for wider tires.

my way would be if you have a local bike shop get them to find you them. unless they are only sold with the bike they should be able to get hold of them.

failing that maybe get some new tires, tires do seem to give the biggest bang for buck in improving speed, comfort etc, though not at the same time!

what do you use the bike for?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I use Maxxis Detonator 23c - get them from www.chainreactioncycles.com

Although, due to unforeseen circumstances (glass on the friggin road), I now use Specialized all weather tyres - still 23c. I have the same wheels as the Boardman Hybrid pro (without disk hubs).
  • Jings
    Jings Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies guys, good to know I can try out different sizes too

I did try my LBS shop and they just said they weren't Maxxis stockists but did offer some alternatives, but the alternatives were heavier duty tyres

I partly use the bike for commuting and partly for decent length rides on the weekends

The tyres I have seem pretty quick (to me anyway, but I've only had mountain bikes in the past!) so I want to stick with fairly slick tyres, I think I'll have a look around at some of the 23 or 25's too.