UK Audaxes / Sportives in May

2»

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    TBH, it's probably a question better posed in the "Sportives and Road Rides" section of the forum....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH, it's probably a question better posed in the "Sportives and Road Rides" section of the forum....
    agreed.
    Moved.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Michuel
    Michuel Posts: 269
    Within easy reach of Richmond area at Cobham is SWRC's "May Flyer" in 2008 on May 11 http://www.swrc.org.uk/spring_sportive_feb08.html

Others more difficult to get to are May 18 "Hilly Hampshire", Jun 8 "Highclere" (near Newbury).

Sorry if this duplicates previous postings but I checked each for these names.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Hi Jen - we may know each other :wink::lol:

If you want something particularly interesting you could try one of the Sportives of the Spring Classics. I know that you say you don't do hills, but they will help you get strong.

The other thing you could do is look to take part in a 12 hour time trial, that would probably get you to 200 miles-ish.
  • goodson
    goodson Posts: 12
    Jen

If its loads on miles you need, suggest contacting your local CTC group.
  • biondino wrote:
    616km 16 May09Chepstow Bryan Chapman Memorial (Scenic)
    [8450m]

This climbs almost the exact height of Mount Everest. Still keen?

Did this one this year, absolutely fabulous ride with great scenery. Did it on fixed which made for some good scary descents. The organisation is also very good, with stops at YHAs etc.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I've done the Bryan Chapman 600 several times and it isn't a really tough ride
    The scenery is great and you have 40 hours to complete it

The Kernow and South West 600 otoh is a very tough ride. Despite having slightly less climbing on paper it is a killer

If you are new to Audax riding then the Elenith 300km ride is a really good one. It starts from near Kidderminister and goes to the mountains around Rhydar and the Elan Valley
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    The Dales Grimpeur, starting from Pateley Bridge, is usually in May, and has distances from 140-210km and more climbing than you will ever want to see again in your life.
  • zoomcp
    zoomcp Posts: 975
    sc999cs wrote:
    Actual Audak UK website is http://www.aukweb.net/cal/index.htm. Non-members can only see 4 months in advance.

Non-members can check all the events in the calendar; but you have to click on the month letter on the LHS side of the page to view a month (ish; couple of weeks either side) at a time ( jf+ shows you the 2009 events; the whole calendar will be updated soon now that the 2008 season is over)

HTH
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    vorsprung wrote:
    I've done the Bryan Chapman 600 several times and it isn't a really tough ride
    The scenery is great and you have 40 hours to complete it

If you are new to Audax riding then the Elenith 300km ride is a really good one. It starts from near Kidderminister and goes to the mountains around Rhydar and the Elan Valley

Agreed - i've done the BC twice and it is a classic, yet easily achieveable by most regular cyclists provided you build up to it. A feb/mar 200 or two, the Elenith and the Brevet Cymru (which starts in Chepstow like the Bryan Chapman) fit the bill nicely, and you get "Super Randonneur" status too!