Thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought !

Comments

• Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    These are excellent and cheap - my training buddy has used them for the last year:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_Triple_Lens_Sunglasses/5360021749/

Being the snob that I am I prefer these:

12-803.JPG

Nice. But as a snob who has spent almost all of my money, I think it'll be the dhb ones for now...;)
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    I've used the dhbs for 2 years now. They do crack across the nose in the end if you keep changing the lenses but as they're so cheap it doesn't really matter. Other than that they are great.
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • JoeSoap76 wrote:
    I just got me some bright, bright lights :D

electron-twin-8-med.jpg

Also, a couple of new buffs (a reflective one for when it's dark and a fleecy one for when it's cold).

Joe, those lights look great

If you don't mind me asking, can you post a link to where you bought them.

Also, I take it that you are impressed with them?

Thanks

Mark
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited November 2008
    Ooooh I'd posted about them already? Good good.

They're these ones - silly name but pretty good. And the lenses are red (a strong shade of orange), orange (a strong shade of yellow), and clear, which I think is a better combo than the dhb ones... especially in low light.

http://www.foxster.co.uk/product/19322/ ... g_Glasses_
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    A Bolle man myself. A bit anti Oakley - I view them along similar lines to BMW. Yes they are well made and do the job but buyers think nothing in the world is better. So I avoid them.

These protect my eyes:
    7769-501045-d.jpg

Not cycle specific but the polarized lenses are brilliant and they stay firmly on my head - on the rare days that it's sunny.
  • In the past week I've bought a new portable radio that I use whilst running (and cycling :oops: ) an emergency ID bracelet from the States and an Opsal Keirin t-shirt.

Mrs S_S is not ammused but if the banks go under you may as well have spent it IMO. 8)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Jen J wrote:
    These are excellent and cheap - my training buddy has used them for the last year:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_Triple_Lens_Sunglasses/5360021749/

Being the snob that I am I prefer these:

12-803.JPG

Nice. But as a snob who has spent almost all of my money, I think it'll be the dhb ones for now...;)

If you buy them I have two more sets of lenses and a case you can have, I broke mine in half whilst prattling around in the forest on my mountain bike, that will teach me. 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    I replaced them with these, cheaper, cooler and a -1 on the FCN as I believe they're considered wrap around.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=g1009
    g1009.jpg
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I'm a bit of snob too. There, I've said it. I used to commute in Giro Haviks but they now have massive scratches on the lenses after being left-hooked on NKR in fulham. I'm now using the dhb ones mentioned above. They're pretty good but do tend to steam up a bit at light stops

EDIT: For commute glasses I look for ones with arms that don't block peripheral vision.
    EDIT2: Back on topic: I just got some Castelli Leggerezza bibtights and some Tacx Antares rollers
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • One ladies step-through Raleigh 3-speed for my other half.
    Mountain bike for my brother.
    First bike for my two-and-a-bit year old niece, in mint condition.

All the above: £25 from the scrapyard. :)
    The adult bikes have had new tyres bought for them, and will be getting fresh tubes as well. The mountain bike needs a new chain, but other than that it's just a lube and tune job!

Oh, and the kiddy bike has only one brake: on the front. How sane is that?
  • Yesterday I bought some Schwalbe Marathon plus 700 x 28c tyres, but I forgot that my track pump was broken :(

But I went to halfords today and bought myself a BikeHut "Performance track pump" (the one with the valve that "automatically adjusts to fit both schrader an presta valves" ) :D and have just fited them, not to bad after I swapped my 28-38c innertubes for my 25-32c innertubes.

They've given me enogh grip to do small stoppies, which are super cool to do as you come to traffic lights.
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • xgeek
    xgeek Posts: 117
    Bad week this week for buying stuff. So far I bought:-

Shimano MT52 SPD shoes
    Shimano M520 pedals
    Multi release cleats
    Camelbak mule
    Crank Brothers 19 function multi-tool
    Lifeline workshop tool kit
    Fenwicks FS1 cleaner
    Finish line wet lube
    A Buff
    Pair of Sealskin socks
    Ortlieb Mud Racer Medium Saddle Bag
    Topeak Defender mud guardset
    Rockshox x-firm spring (black)
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    xgeek wrote:
    Bad week this week for buying stuff. So far I bought:-

Shimano MT52 SPD shoes
    Shimano M520 pedals
    Multi release cleats
    Camelbak mule
    Crank Brothers 19 function multi-tool
    Lifeline workshop tool kit
    Fenwicks FS1 cleaner
    Finish line wet lube
    A Buff
    Pair of Sealskin socks
    Ortlieb Mud Racer Medium Saddle Bag
    Topeak Defender mud guardset
    Rockshox x-firm spring (black)

Sounds like a good week for buying things to me :wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    My dhb jersey and dhb base layer came through, as did my workstand! Which I have asked my brother to give me for Xmas, so technically I shouldn't access it for another 7 weeks. Unless I need to, of course :)
  • Jen J
    biondino wrote:
    My dhb jersey and dhb base layer came through, as did my workstand! Which I have asked my brother to give me for Xmas, so technically I shouldn't access it for another 7 weeks. Unless I need to, of course :)

But do you still have the dhb jersey, or did you give it to a damsel in distress?
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • JoeSoap76 wrote:
    I just got me some bright, bright lights :D

electron-twin-8-med.jpg

Also, a couple of new buffs (a reflective one for when it's dark and a fleecy one for when it's cold).

Joe, those lights look great

If you don't mind me asking, can you post a link to where you bought them.

Also, I take it that you are impressed with them?

Thanks

Mark
    Hi Mark,

I don't mind at all. I got them from wiggle.

And yes, I am very impressed with them. They are far better at lighting the road ahead than my previous light and I really don't think I'm going to be missed by motorists.

Saying that, to give an unbiased review there are a couple of downsides to this system:

1) It's going to take me a few weeks to get used to the amount of gubbins that now needs to be attached to my bike for my commute home. Before I could just slip the Cateye into its mount. Now I have two lights to attach to mounts plus the switch to attach to the handlebars plus the battery to attach (by velcro) to the frame. I also need to then fit the cables between the battery, switch and lights making sure that they are secure and not dangling. It's an art.

2) I have stupid, oversized handlebars and it took a couple of attempts to get the brackets to fit securely. That's not a criticism of the brackets - nothing I've ever tried to fit to the handlebars of my bike have been secure without some jiggery pokery.

3) It took a few attempts to work out how to attach the cables properly so that they wouldn't come unplugged when the ground got bumpy or when taking a sharp corner.

These are just teething problems though - the lights are great.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    People who buy powerful lights - if you only rode at night in well lit-up areas, would you save money, weight and battery annoyances by buying a smaller light or two, or would you still go for these hardcore burn through warships at 60 metres type lights?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    biondino wrote:
    or would you still go for these hardcore burn through warships at 60 metres type lights?

Yes that's about it 8)

*Ayup's are the daddy's :D

*They do get used for off roading as well
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • damaged my rear rim on tuesday

so this arrived in the post today.....

3009365670_3193056d0f_o.jpg
    Time you've enjoyed wasting, hasn't been wasted

Bianchi L'Una, Bianchi 928 C2C 105, Dahon MU SL
  • Just got my new Charge Spoon saddle in brown!

It's the cro-mo one but it's still ment to be 258g so not bad.
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Littigator wrote:
    I've used the dhbs for 2 years now. They do crack across the nose in the end if you keep changing the lenses but as they're so cheap it doesn't really matter. Other than that they are great.

I had that (Cracked not broken) after just a year of use, have left them with the clear lenses in now, and use them soley for commuting.

I replaced them with a pair of these which I used for the first time today:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=MADIZGLA250000000000MADIZGLA250000000000_1_large.jpg

Nice bendy frames, don't see these cracking in a hurry, and nice and comfy, all be it not quite as wrap around as the dhbs.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Jen J
    ok...seeing as everyone is an expert on the dhb ones - how do I get the stoopid lenses off? :(
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Jen J wrote:
    ok...seeing as everyone is an expert on the dhb ones - how do I get the stoopid lenses off? :(

Like this ..............

dhb%20instructions%20new.jpg

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/dhb%20instructions%20new.jpg
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Jen J
    AndyManc wrote:
    Jen J wrote:

Like this ..............

Perfect, thank you :)
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • biondino wrote:
    People who buy powerful lights - if you only rode at night in well lit-up areas, would you save money, weight and battery annoyances by buying a smaller light or two, or would you still go for these hardcore burn through warships at 60 metres type lights?
    Um.... I'd probably save my money. They just open up so many options though. when I was a student I bought a bottle cage light that was pretty good for the time I think but weighed about the same as a car battery. The one I have now lasts longer, is way brighter and I can fit the light and the battery on the end of one of these, and there's still space for my backup blinkie.
    http://www.topeak.com/products/Xtras/BarXtender
    Which I diassemble in a jiffy if I want to be free of the beastie.

Setting aside that it cost about as much as a servicable bike, they have come on so much, its a no-loose situation.
  • 3M Scotchlite tape for sticking the bike, helmet and biscuit tins. http://www.3mselect.co.uk/p-520-3m-scotchlite-self-adhesive-reflective-strip.aspx
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Jen J wrote:

Mine were run over by a car after falling out of pocket. They were in the softcase with the spare clear and adark lenses. Still fine! :D
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • itboffin
    Brand-X chain tensioner £7
    Alan key multi-tool £3

And finally my spokelits arrived, I can't wait until it gets dark.
  • Just ordered a dhb buff and dhb baselayer from Wiggle..

Admittedly the buff is to not only keep my head warm but prevent my helmet from stinking :oops: :oops:
    Commuter Surosa Toledo S34 Audax
    Best Bike Merida Road Race 901-18

In truth i love them both
  • I advised my brother-in-law to buy a bike from Wiggle and I got 10% of the value in vouchers for recommending a friend.

I bought two pairs of tights, the Marmotte video and some Muc-Off.

Result :D