Thetford Red?

nonnac85
nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
edited November 2008 in Routes
I heard recently that the 39 Steps section is/was closed - something to do with the FC?
Anyway - does any one know if the rest of the trail is open / any diversions. Dont want to drive with my little cousin for a few hours there and back to find it all closed up. Also are there any jumps / northshore etc either as part of the trails or elsewhere around the forest?

Cheers
My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time

Comments

• BeardedDave
    BeardedDave Posts: 1,977
    A new section running parallel with the 39 steps was created by the local trailbuilding group Timber but was shut down by the FC almost straight away, due to various half-arsed reasons. The old trail running parallel is still there and it might still be possible to ride the new closed section. :wink:

The section just after the 39 steps may have a diversion on it as it was pretty cut up but generally I think the waymarked routes are all open as usual.

Jumps or northshore at Thetford? Not a chance, the FC are almost totally against it. There's a couple of little jumps and a log to ride along on a section of the red route but that's you lot.
    East Anglia Biking Collective!
    http://www.easternbikemonkeys.co.uk/forum/
  • nonnac85
    so the new section is closed but the 39 steps is open?

been reading around on the www and people seem to favour the "tightrope" section. is this bit open?

Thanks again.
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    39 steps is the new bit that has been built and is awaiting an engineers inspection after the remdial work was done on it.

You can ride around all the obsatcles that have been placed in the way but if you hurt yourself or get caught it is your own fault and you have all the liability. But the FC would prefer everyone to stay off it untill its open.

There is no more wood work in the forest. The FC arent keen on it as it takes up to much of their time inspecting it so its too expensive to maintain so its unlikely we will have any more.
  • nonnac85
    so the tightrope and 39 steps are the same thing?

thanks for all the help!
  • nonnac85 wrote:
    so the tightrope and 39 steps are the same thing?

thanks for all the help!

No. Tightrope was the first new section to be opened. It's got the long skinny on it.

The section that was recently closed due to engineers inspection failure is a bit further along.
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    Right the trail that is "closed" is next to a swamp of a tunnel down a hill after you cross the forest drive for the second time.

Tightrope is the first amoured section you come across with man made obstacles
  • nonnac85
    thanks for all help - went last weekend. Made a nice change to my normal rides. I'l be bacK!!