RP training group ride 1st or 2nd November?

2»

Comments

• felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    The emu wrote:
    Just don't do a Rod Hull - (ironically just learnt about him the other day).

No Rod Hull incidents or near misses - and Sky all done - got to say I was (slightly) glad that I didn't get a good soaking on my bike, but I did get pretty wet up on the roof sorting out the cable. I suppose that proves I am a soft southern pommy.

Glad there were some of you out - Wilf I guess you keep your 100% attendance record did you wear yet another spangly new kit, or did you have to wear one we have already seen!? Did Al munch and spit out the hills again? Or did Bernard shoot up them like a Whippet?. I wonder how many people you saw out on the roads if the weather was bad... Anyway I shall return next week, come rain or shine.

Tomorrow I hope to join KW for a quick ride, weather permitting :shock:

In fact I might update my sig with my RPCC attendance record (currently standing at 66%)
    :D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    thejackalp wrote:
    recognised Al and Wilf ( I guess it was Bernard with you). How was the ride? You all looked pretty miserable

Yep that was probably us, didn't mind the rain but cutting through the teeth of a stiff southerly was a tough task after climbing not 3 but 5 hills (refer below).

Should of pulled over in our team van and given us a lift :wink:
    felgen wrote:
    did you wear yet another spangly new kit,

Well not new to me, but yes had my wet weather campag red top on to keep me snuggly and dry....well sort of.

Have to get some overshoes though, my two pairs of socks were soaking.

Honary mention has to go to Bernard for sheer effort. I'm not sure he knew what he had in for himself - when he rocked up wearing sunglasses I thought that was a tad optimistic, but not having wet weather gear was ambitious to say the least. How he made it back in one piece without coming down with hypothermia is a sheer miracle.

We also went up Stony Hill, the unamed hill (well we have a name for it but not appropriae on this forum), lieth hill, Box hill but missed a turnoff to Coldharbour (had it mapped but just going too fast) and getting back on route found what would have to be the toughest hill climb yet (henurst cross lane for those with maps). Was a killer.

Thanks to Al atleast we all had hot teas waiting for us at the top of box hill, and oh how they went down sweetly (yes we had two cuppas each). :P

Don't worry James, the thought of you warm in your loungeroom watching sky HD did come up more than once when we were caught in the rain :twisted:

The long grazed legged one
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,873
    this is my fav thread on this forum
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    I was there in spirit, out on the MTB on the south downs getting cold, wet, muddy and miserable! :evil:

I made it clear I'd rather be out on my road bike, much to the disappointment of my mtb buddies! :lol:
  • felgen
    The emu wrote:
    Thanks to Al at least we all had hot teas waiting for us at the top of box hill, and oh how they went down sweetly (yes we had two cuppas each). :P
    Top effort Al - did you have time to stir in the sugar as well before the others arrived ;)
    The Emu wrote:
    Don't worry James, the thought of you warm in your loungeroom watching sky HD did come up more than once when we were caught in the rain :twisted:
    Mate. Sky only got it all sorted out just now (i.e. nearly 24 hours later!) but World Track championships aren't in HD regrettably. However sky plus in bed is a bonus.

Anyway I went out with the Wheelers today for about 60 enjoyable miles all-in, so some new lanes to think about when we get bored of going up Box Hill blah blah blah.

Anyone up for a ride next weekend? If so, are there any volunteers to start another poll (perhaps I should do it to prove that I am not a complete spanner and I can set up a poll correctly :?
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    I was there in spirit, out on the MTB on the south downs getting cold, wet, muddy and miserable! :evil:

I made it clear I'd rather be out on my road bike, much to the disappointment of my mtb buddies! :lol:

Thats the spirit! Knobblies=Bad :evil:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Mike - the team van idea sounds like a runner. I think Bernard could have done with your assistance yesterday with one of those foil capes. We ended up doing 80 miles (with my journey to and from RP) which was a pretty good effort considering the conditions.
    I was out with Dulwich Paragons today which nearly killed me. 86 miles at a pretty furious pace over some evil hills.
    I could do a shortish run next Saturday or an early start.
  • The emu
    Top effort Al - did you have time to stir in the sugar as well before the others arrived

Although I trundled on all the hill climbs I'd like to think I was quicker getting up Box Hill this week than last - at least got up there in time to request white with one. :wink:
    Anyone up for a ride next weekend?

Why not, but one question, why is it called the RP training ride when we spend all of about 10 minutes in Richmond Park :lol:

Some stats (albeit lame):

Distance: 123.45km (76 miles)
    Total Ascent: 1280m (4200ft)
    Avg Spd (23km/hr - although a bit meaningless with traffic)
    Calories: 5323
    Avg HR: 156bpm
    Max HR: 195bpm :shock:

• felgen
    The emu wrote:
    at least I got up there in time to request white with one. :wink:
    I thought you called them a flat white? ;)
    The Emu wrote:
    ...one question, why is it called the RP training ride when we spend all of about 10 minutes in Richmond Park :lol:
    Um cos we all had no imagination and cycled aimlessly round the park when in fact we should have been getting out into the country
    Some stats (albeit lame):

Distance: 123.45km (76 miles)
    Total Ascent: 1280m (4200ft)
    Avg Spd (23km/hr - although a bit meaningless with traffic)
    Calories: 5323
    Avg HR: 156bpm
    Max HR: 195bpm :shock:

195 BPM - thats means you WERE trying harder than last time :D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    I thought you called them a flat white?

Errr, aren't teas always flat :wink:
    195 BPM - thats means you WERE trying harder than last time

...or the hill was steeper.

Al / Bernard, here's the thread I was talking about this weekend. It's the Quebrantahusesos.

Refer
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... t=pyrenees

• Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    The emu wrote:
    Al / Bernard, here's the thread I was talking about this weekend. It's the Quebrantahusesos.
    Ooh, that looks good! :P 8)
  • Should of pulled over in our team van and given us a lift

If my truck was the team van then that would mean we would all have to be decked out in a flurescent yellow and green team kit. Not exactly my idea of stylish although you may well feel right at home dressed up in your country's colours.

But then as James has pointed out you do have a liking for the loud and lairy. As for this weekend I am definitely out as work demands my time. Hope you all have a good ride and if I see you guys again I will throw some space blankets at you ( In a helpful way as opposed to trying to knock you off)
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • The emu
    may well feel right at home dressed up in your country's colours.

Last I checked we were green and gold, not flouro green and yellow :shock:
    But then as James has pointed out you do have a liking for the loud and lairy

Well someone has to do it :wink:

• Wilf - Quebrantahusesos sounds superb - there's nothing like free cold beer to motivate me. The other sportive I've got in my sights is http://www.etapecaledonia.co.uk/
  • The emu

• felgen
    Wilf - Quebrantahusesos sounds superb - there's nothing like free cold beer to motivate me. The other sportive I've got in my sights is http://www.etapecaledonia.co.uk/

I thought you did wine Al.... However I am purely motivated by the prospect of a free jersey, I mean beer....
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB