Evans Ride it in Lakes Nov 3rd

robklancs
robklancs Posts: 498
Hi, is anybody doing this event. I cant decide which road ride to do, the medium or long. The medium takes in wrynose whilst the long takes in both wrynose and hardknott. I maybe wrong but i think both rides start with kirkstone pass. Has anyone got experience of riding these beasts in november? I have never rode any of them so i know its going to be a big struggle.

Comments

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Mebbe 2nd Nov :)
    http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/lake-district

I'd not seen this before, doesn't seem to have been promoted anywhere I'd look.

I'm busy that weekend or otherwise I might have been interested.

Looks like you can enter Long but then cut-off and do the Medium instead if the weather's bad
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    robklancs wrote:
    Hi, is anybody doing this event. I cant decide which road ride to do, the medium or long. The medium takes in wrynose whilst the long takes in both wrynose and hardknott. I maybe wrong but i think both rides start with kirkstone pass. Has anyone got experience of riding these beasts in november? I have never rode any of them so i know its going to be a big struggle.

Rode most of the climbs in the Lakes....Wrynose...and I take it that this means from the Eastern ascent from Langdale....well you bloody better prepare yourself...not much tougher anywhere in the UK....its a simply brutal ascent..it gets gradually steeper until the top...and the last 300 meters are awful at 30%....4th toughest in whole UK in my books....then Hardknott...well this is from the easier side...but considering the othersides one of the toughest climb I've ever did it means its in no way easy...33%-25% all the way to the top...disgraceful gradients....but who do you get back from there?....if you do the long one then I can only think they will throw you back over Birker Fell or Corney Fell...and thats not going to be a gentle stroll!......if you do the short one with just Wrynose they will take you down the Duddon valley towards Ulpha...and another total killer waits there...the 25% climb of Stickle Pike.....interesting....but if you havent rode these climbs then prepare yourslef for a real shock.....I reckon the stretch of road between Eskdale and Langdale to be the toughest I've ever rode(and I just did the Mortirolo not long ago), and it don't matter which way you do it...east to west or vice versa...brutal....wouldn't fancy that in November personally speaking!.
  • Last weekend it was on in the Chilterns... it's nothing to do with a sportive, just a ride you can join, there is a signposted circuit and I've been told even refreshements on the way.
    I didn't do it, but my friends said it was a very good route, so it's likely to be good up north as well.
    I think you don't need to register really, just show up and do your thing, saves you 10 quid or so...
    left the forum March 2023
  • robklancs
    robklancs Posts: 498
    thanks for the replies
    im guessing its too late to start hill repping the local 20% climb then? :lol:
    Seriously though, i know its gonna be a killer and im fully expecting to take a stroll at some/many point(s). But the figures richyboy gave have just made me more determined to give it a go!
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    I hadn't seen that. If I'm around I might give that one a go myself.

As Richyboy has said, Wrynose East is a tough long climb. Hardknott definitely much easier from the Cockley Beck side (though the first 50 metres or so to the first hairpin are brutal - must be 30%.)

We did a ride over some of this route last year and there's a write up and some pics here.

http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/localri ... /index.htm

If you've not seen the climbs before it'll give you some idea what it's like (in nice weather).
    A lot will depend on the weather though. As Richyboy will tell you, we've done Wrynose and Hardknott from both directions, and been blown clean off the road. Hell, we were even blown off the tandem on Wrynose. Lets hope it's a nice day ;-)
    And I guess if you're going over Hardknott, the only sensible ways back are over Birker Fell or Corney Fell. If anyone knows the route, post it up.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    rhnb wrote:
    Hell, we were even blown off the tandem on Wrynose. .

you've been over that lot on a tandem... you mad buggers....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    [if you do the short one with just Wrynose they will take you down the Duddon valley towards Ulpha...and another total killer waits there...the 25% climb of Stickle Pike.....interesting....

unless they just go all the way to broughton ?

the 593 ain't exactly flat though..

or

kirby via coast road>lowick> east of lake >hawkshead hill>barngates> ambelside?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    As Richyboy says, I wouldn't fancy it in November either. Hardknott and Wrynose are tough enough in May, but the roads are likely to be covered in gravel even if the weather is kind on the day.
  • mathi
    mathi Posts: 110
    Did any one go this weekend ? i saw the forecast and chickened out :roll:
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    I was out with a mate just for a quick spin around Coniston and saw a few riders heading towards us as we headed back from Coniston - Torver - Lowick. Be interested to know what the route was. Anyone on here ride it?

As for the weather, well it was good. Blue sky and sunshine. They had a good day for it.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • saw a few riders

Rode this today, it didn't feel like a sportive as only fifty or so entered. Having said that, the weather was perfect & a well signed course made for a great few hours in the saddle.

Started from Ambleside past Hawkshead & Grizedale then over Furness fells to end of Coniston water & Torver. Over a 'mini' Wrynose' ? into Dunnerdale where the medium & long routes split with the hard doing Hardknott & Wrynose & Medium just Wrynose. Just when you thought it was a nice easy run into the finish, Loughrigg fell was a little sting in the tail.

Everyone from Evans was friendly enough but they need to send someone along to the likes of the Three Counties or Fred Whitton to see how a Sportive is run, £10 or not.
  • saw a few riders

Started from Ambleside past Hawkshead & Grizedale then over Furness fells to end of Coniston water & Torver. Over a 'mini' Wrynose' ? into Dunnerdale

grizedale..

oxen park.. bandrake head?

torver

stickle pike=mini wrynose
  • Firstly I'd like to thank all the Evans team for putting the event on.

IMO there were challenging/interesting routes avble.

(I did the long route.

Whilst it was only 59 miles given the various climbs it was more than enough and a good taster/sighter for something like the Fred Whitton.)

I thought it was pretty well sign posted and there were a number of feedstations with a selection of drinks bananas etc.

For £10's it was good/excellent value and the weather could not have been better with some great panoramic viewpoints across the Lakes and out to the coast.

I for one hope it runs again and sees increased support.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    There are a set of them
      Nottingham - October 4/5 Great Missenden - October 18/19 Lake District - November 1/2 Cliddesden, Hampshire - November 8/9 West Yorkshire - November 15/16 North Downs - December 6/7 Chieveley, Berkshire - January 10/11 Rochdale - January 24/25 TCR Show, Sandown Park - February 7/8 Scotland - February 21/22

http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/r ... ised-rides

I might be tempted by the Rochdale one in January