Fenix TK11 owners

canada16
canada16 Posts: 2,360
edited November 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys

I have bought the charger and light, and also went to but the batteries, but on one page it says the batteries are a 3.7v but on the acutal tk11 torch website it says takes 4.2v

Which one is it?

Or does it matter,

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix-tk11.html

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/batteries/a ... eable.html

Thanks guys

Oh might have to turn it on low on the roads, high would blind people.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Dazza probably knows better than me, but I think most 18650 batteries are 3.7v with a 10% tolerance. The abattery should work fine: it is probably that the maximum rated lumen output listed was at 4.2v.

I'd get these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5790

Works out at 3 quid each, and higher capacity too!
  • canada16
    So it can take any volt batteries.

Also what about the mAH does that matter wether its 2100 or 2200 or 2500?

Never knew buying a light would be so much fun :lol:

I came 2 feet from a car again that pulled out on me, I am an idiot,

Should take the car.
  • supersonic
    I'd only use what they recommend.

The mAH rating is capacity. Higher the better. If you know the maths, you can work out run time (roughly)
  • xgeek
    xgeek Posts: 117
    LOL knew you could not resist making another torch thread. :D
  • canada16
    Just call me the light guy.

So the mAH does not matter then? Higher the better?

But the only thing is one thing says 3.7v and the other 4.2v, something like that so it contradicts itself.

If you see the links I posted, they have different specs on the battery.

I am so confused, they dont make it easy.
  • supersonic
    Pretty sure all 18650 batteries are 'rated' at 3.7v (average) with a max of 4.2v. Some have internal PCBs which prevent the battery from supplying too much voltage. Just the way Fenix have worded it.

2500mAH is a good capacity for a 18650. I should imagine their runtimes are calcuated using a battery of this capacity.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    http://www.thephotonshop.co.uk/page44.htm

TRUST FIRE 2400 MAH 18650 LITHIUM BATTERY
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    2500 mah trustfires.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5790

And supersonic is right about the batteries, typically 3.7v but chargers can take them to 4.2v at a push.

Also be careful about running higher voltage batteries than what the tirch suggests, some are regulated with a pwm like the fenix so might be fine while others are direct drive from the battery and you can easily blow the emitter.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • canada16
    Got my light. TK11

That light could blind someone, it is so well designed, I have made the right choice.

The bike lock block is a very simple design which I felt very ripped off, its only some velcro and a piece of plastic, but hey it does the job.

Going to get some 18650 batteries as bought the charger.

Thanks guys for all the help.

The light shot 3 blocks away so am then hit a brick wall, so im sure it will see further.
  • Dazzza
    See all those threads and all that worrying for nothing. :lol:
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • canada16
    I have never seen a light that bright before.

It looks like a cop helicopter search light on the ground.

Going to buy batteries, but the only place that sells them that I can get fast delivery is Fenix and they are so expensive.

Ebay really cheap but long delivery times.

Cant even find those 18650 batteries in cardiff, they must be quite new.
  • I've finally decide to put an end to my hours of reading up on lights, run time, lumens, batteries , chargers, mounts and the million other things . I can't take much more.....

I'm going with the TK11 and a couple of tesco 3w torches to get me started and hopefully see me through this winter.

I am about to buy it from http://www.thephotonshop.co.uk/page35.htm with the lock block mount for £54.95.... Not sure if this has been asked, sure it has somewhere but cant find the answer now.. Does this mount fit both handlebars and helmet or do you need the in liner one they offer for the helmet..

Also am i right in thinking that this torch runs on just one 18650 Li-ion battery

Cheers from a wish money wasnt an issue MTB'er...
  • canada16
    The light uses 18650 batteries or 2 cr123a'

You will not be sorry.

The bike clip, lockblock, should go around the holes in the helmet, the velcro straps are quite long so should be ok.

Amazing light, I cant belive how bright it is for the price, bet its brighter than the hope 2 or above for throwing distance.

DO IT, I LOVE IT.

I spent weeks as well searching and this is what I got and Im happy,

But the 18650 recharge, but batts are hard to find in the uk.
  • hey cheers,

I'm defo gonna go with it and see how it goes, going from what people say seems to be best money can buy.. Hopefully now i can spend as many hours out riding with them as i've spent looking for them.. Just need to go and order new shoes as i left them sitting outside the car when i drove off earlier this week... Doh.

gonna order the batt and charger from deal xtreme as we seem to be getting ripped of for theses in the uk. hopefully get a short run in before they arrive...

Happy cycling
  • canada16
    OK

First ride tonight.

I cannot belive how bright this light is, such power for something so small.

And I had it on general and could see right down the path no probs.

I could not use on high on the roads as too bright for cars, I am so so impressed.

Get yourself one guys.

It even feels amazing quality, light but solid, and you can even take it in the bath with you just in case you want to do some diving :shock: , beat that for waterproof.

I did buy the battery off the Fenix website, yes it was a rip off at 11.95 but reading on candlepower they are the best, and with kids in the house dont want to be messing with no name high power li-ion batteries in the house.

Thanks for your guys help.
  • Dazzza
    edited November 2008
    Not quite they are 2200mah rated while trustfire/ultrafires are 2500mah at best, so long as you do use the protected ones you get the same benefits of the ones you purchased.

Just letting you know for next time, always make sure they have nipples on the top as some don't. :)

Edit: come to find out ultrafire/trustfire/aw are pretty much the same aw are far more conservative in their ratings.

Ultrafires can be hit and miss from what it seems but you really can't argue at the price. ;)
    Giant Anthem X
  • supersonic
    My charger and batteries arrived today! Not lights though. got to wait, had no stock.
  • Dazzza
    Bugger sonic, good sign though means it's nice and popular, just remember to tape the batteries as they may rattle and keep an eye on that spring, so keep a spare on you incase it does decide to let you down, easily remedied though.

Bet your itching to try the things. ;)
    Giant Anthem X
  • supersonic
    Certainly am! Only took the chatger and batts 4 days to get here though, they say the torches will follow very soon. In fact I was very suprised to see the package this morning!
  • Dazzza
    edited November 2008
    Yeah they are very random with their deliveries, they ship as one big shipment hence the delay, depends when you catch them, my ultrafire c1 came inside a week while the p7 took a month.

Btw two of the things running lol cars are gonna love you. :lol:
    Giant Anthem X
  • supersonic
    Hehe, and a head torch! 60 quid all in, what a bargain!
  • Dazzza
    The helmet torch is a great addition, the universal mount on dx, bit larger than the lockblock works great as a mount.

Also useful for those drivers that refuse to dip. ;)

Btw the grey ultrafire charger can take a 12v input on the side and you can use a stereo or similar lead, saves faffing around with that twin pronged plug.
    Giant Anthem X
  • canada16
    I for 1 wont be looking at bike lights anymore.

Especially after my ride, its bright enough. and quality is amazing.

Maybe 2 for the trails and 1 for the road.
  • On the strength of this topic I have taken the plunge and ordered 2 TK11 for the trail, one for the bike and one for the helmet. can't wait to go out this weekend and try them out.
    Like others have said decided on these as you can use them for other activities instead of having a dedicated bike light that costs twice the amount which I will most probably smash the first time i have a wipe out.
  • canada16
    Trust me put the light on low or high and get a straight road which is like 1km long, you will see to the end with the light.

Just the batteries and charger that can be abnormal as they are not standard.

Spend 12.00 for 1 battery but should be worth it on test reports.
  • I have a P7,batteries and a charger on order from deal extreme too.I am going to use mine helmet tmounted and if it turns out to be good,I`ll get another.
    Mine came to £45 with 4 batteries,charger,plug adaptor and universal mount.
    There is a pic and a good thread on the p7 on the mtb-britain forum.
    Others are saying good things about it,too so sounds promising.

http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=10118
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Dazzza
    The mte ssc p7 they suggested is a lesser model, it uses the standard emitter, the one they had a go at is the one i use and it's great, uses a c bin emitter so it's nice and bright.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12623
    Giant Anthem X
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Dazzza wrote:
    The mte ssc p7 they suggested is a lesser model, it uses the standard emitter, the one they had a go at is the one i use and it's great, uses a c bin emitter so it's nice and bright.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12623

Any idea of the weight of one of those Dazza? Is it light enough to be helmet mounted?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Dazzza
    Wouldn't bother with a helmet mount it would be a bit weighty the ultrafire c1 would be much better.
    Giant Anthem X