So where does a CX bike come in the FCN

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited November 2008 in Commuting chat
Actually this is just an excuse to talk about me wanting to buy a Specialized Tricross Sport Triple...

My road bike is slowly dying with the commute at the moment. I don't think a Carrera Gryphon is designed with pot-holed roads and bridleways in mind.

I've looked at the CX bikes and reckon these are my my best bet, and the Sport Triple looks great.

The only issue I have is that I'll have to get a Minoura space grip to get room for the lights, bell and cycle comp as it's a bit busy on the bars!

So... what WOULD the FCN of that bike be? Given that it would end up with panniers and mudguards on

and could someone talk me out of buying it? :?
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• giltkid
    giltkid Posts: 53
    I was looking at one of the regular ones yesterday - feels quite heavy imo, maybe the Sport is lighter?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Compared to my Carrera ANYTHING is light :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Well, Mrs G and both have one, bought initially for touring and they are great - a good range of gears, occaisionally the gap between gears is a bit big, as it's an MTB rear cassette but it does mean you can ride up pretty much anything fully loaded, but not run out of gears at the other end when riding light.

Mrs G commutes on hers and it's much better over the potholes etc than her road bike with 23mm tyres.

Why not get a computer that will go on the stem, and you'll still have room for lights on the bars without an extension. Ours came with a bell mounted on the interuptor brakes.

Only slight downside is the wheels/tyres feel heavy compared with Ksyrium SLs, but that's the price for durability and comfort. And the brakes can be hard to set right - the wheel needs to stay true as you can't have much clearance or the levers don't pull enough cable to really work the brakes properly.

As a commuting/touring/do-it-all bike I think it's hard to beat for the money.
  • Well, Mrs G and both have one, bought initially for touring and they are great - a good range of gears, occaisionally the gap between gears is a bit big, as it's an MTB rear cassette but it does mean you can ride up pretty much anything fully loaded, but not run out of gears at the other end when riding light.

Mrs G commutes on hers and it's much better over the potholes etc than her road bike with 23mm tyres.

Why not get a computer that will go on the stem, and you'll still have room for lights on the bars without an extension. Ours came with a bell mounted on the interuptor brakes.

Only slight downside is the wheels/tyres feel heavy compared with Ksyrium SLs, but that's the price for durability and comfort. And the brakes can be hard to set right - the wheel needs to stay true as you can't have much clearance or the levers don't pull enough cable to really work the brakes properly.

As a commuting/touring/do-it-all bike I think it's hard to beat for the money.
  • Kieran_Burns
    SoaG - you're meant to persuade me NOT to get one :wink:

Going to have to think carefully about this. I don't want to kill my existing bike just to justify a new one, but it was making some odd noises on the way home last night.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    and could someone talk me out of buying it? Confused

No chance, you've already made up your mind, you just don't realise it yet :D

Its a great commuting/touring bike and particularly good at pulling a trailer if thats your thing.

Go on, buy it, you know we'll all support you here :lol:
  • I have a Kona Jake (also a CX bike) complete with panniers, mudguards, etc. I am sorry but for a general work horse these CX's are ace! The CX tyres it came with have just been replaced (due to too many punctures :roll: ) with more suitable road tyres.

The MTB is getting jealous and my missus has started asking questions about the "extra" bike in the shed - small price to pay.

BUY ONE NOW! You won't be disappointed.

PS Back to the OP, still no idea what the FCN is... :lol:
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    I've got a Tricross Sport Triple 2008 and despite my (well documented) problems I love it to pieces. It's only my second bike but I can still tell that it's a quality item.

Mine also has a rack and mudguards. I commute with two full panniers every day (well, every day I'm not having issues) and it handles very well.

The problems with setting the brakes can be fixed by installing this sort of thing:
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/src/froogle/ ... -18060.htm

Now that I have a couple of those I've only got one slight gripe and that's to do with the front mech. In the slackest position it touches the seat tube and will only just shift the chain onto the smallest ring properly. Ideally I'd say it needs another millimetre or two in order to make a really good job of shifting down onto the small ring but (a) it's good enough and (b) I almost never use that ring, although anyone going uphill off-road probably would.
  • Tum te tum...

Guess what will be in my garage tomorrow? 8)

09tcross27-2T.jpg

Got Samways to price match UK Cycle Store so was able to pick up a cateye wireless cycle comp for £1 :D

Being built for me to pick up tomorrow afternoon, whereupon I shall bastardise it and turn it into a commuter :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    You bugger. :) Would love a cross bike.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."