First club run

BUICK
BUICK Posts: 362
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
I went out with Drighlington CC this morning on an invite from a pal. I was apprehensive about how I'd handle the group riding (despite having ridden at the track on a couple of occasions and had a play at team-pursuit style riding and a even a couple of 10 lap scratch races!); whether I'd get the hang of what was expected and what various hand signals meant, and also whether I would be made to feel awkward. You do hear stories don't you?

Anyway, I was very pleasantly surprised by the reality of it. The group looked out for each other and there was a lot of pleasant banter - I felt welcome. It was interesting too as there were members of other clubs along for the ride (including one local riding in a British Cycling jersey with some rather impressive bike handling skills) and there wasn't any animosity. A far cry from what some sources would suggest!

I'd reccommend giving it a try
'07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
'07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I did my first club run, two weeks ago, highly recommended!
    Very friendly and so much better than riding alone. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • MRadd
    MRadd Posts: 205
    Most cycle clubs are brilliant to beginners. There are, as you would expect, some exceptions.

I will be honest, i very rarely go on club runs. I prefer the individuality i get from riding by myself. Plus, i get to do more interval training on the route.

Over the winter though, i probably will be hooking up with the locals to make life simple and to prevent burning myself up before next season.
    : "Why don't i remember breaking my face?" :

: Semi Professional Grease Monkey, Full time Tea boy... :
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    For a lot of clubs it would be a cse of all welcome, I don't see why this would not include people from other clubs.

If you were on hols in another country like France, I expect you'd be welcomed as well.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Mr B, I am glad you enjoyed the experiance Matey! Although we could have done with out the 2 p*****res and the p*ss stop and the docile pace ot was most enjoyable, a good 40 mile fat burning ride.

As mentioned in Our conversation today, I am going to go out with Airedale at the weekend for a run to Ripon if you fancy that. :?:
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    Haha! Eyup Kirky. I'm in agreement about the 'docile' pace all things considered, but looking back on it I guess that gave me time to concentrate on my positioning and watch how people handled themselves and their bikes. And I got to ease my knee back into use (it's stiffened up a little so I'll have to keep being careful), so it worked out pretty well for me! I really like the sound of the run out to Ripon - bit nervous of whether I'd keep up okay at the moment though... will chat to you more about it later in the week.

It's cool to see you on the forum mate. Glad I've not been mouthing off and bigging myself up - could have been royally caught out there! :wink:

PS What you doing in 'Road beginners'?! Looking to pick up some tips? :twisted:
    PPS Get back to work! My bike won't build itself...
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • Hi Chaps,

I hope I am not hijacking the thread however I live only down the road in Cleckheaton and have been looking to join a local club. Would I be able to join you guys on a ride sometime? What sort of distance/pace do you do?

**Stands waiting like the new kid at school who has just asked to play** :oops:

Thanks

Ben
  • Ben,

Feel free to join in Matey, The Drig are a very friendly bunch of Chaps and are an iseal introduction to clubruns.

Usually they do between 40-60 mile very steady (avg speed on Sunday was approx 13mph) and some days they have a cafe stop, others such as Sunday they don't, it all depends on time really.

They meet at The New Inn at Gildersome at 9.30am Sundays.

Mr B,

Yes with my limited road experiance it is good to look at the beginners section and pick up a few hints and tips! :wink:

:wink: Too scared to look in the race section yet! :P

As fer yer bike Mate, I have men to do this meanial type of work don't you know! :lol:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    PMKirky wrote:
    :wink: Too scared to look in the race section yet! :P

It's all about Lance Armstrong and doping........
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Good job you told me cuz I may have been too scared to have a look! :wink:
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    I've been along to the weekend rides at Dulwich Paragon recently and for my first introduction to chain gangs it's been great. As Hopper said, it's much nicer than riding solo and thoroughly recommended to all.
  • I'm glad you had a good experience :D Many have been nervous about it, myself included :oops: Now I wonder why :D Many have been dropped or found it a clicky and been dropped.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business