Egoscue posture exercises - anyone doing them

Fermapiedi
Fermapiedi Posts: 16
edited February 2009 in Training, fitness and health
Is anyone doing the Egoscue posture exercises as featured in a recent edition of Cycling Weekly?
I'm doing them in an attempt to help with a painful lower back condition. - don't know if this is a good idea?
I was also wondering if anyone else was having as much problem with exercise 7 - the hip lift as I am?

Comments

• bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Yes and yes.

Luckily dont have back problems but do have a tendency to slouch so trying them out in hope may help both cycling and golf..too early to judge for sure but I would say so far so good.

Exercise 7 is a killer. Quite used to stretching but this is a new one to me. Got to admit
    - I assumed (because I did not want to hear otherwise) the "hold for 60 seconds each side and repeat 5 times" is a misprint. I try for a couple of reps and am happy if can do this.
    - I cheat a bit after 30s each rep and use hands to help stabilise legs. However as with all exercise, the more often I do the easier it gets and the longer I can keep hands off.

I was reassured by fact that couple of weeks after starting exercises I went to Cyclefit to get measured up properly (strongly recommended btw.) A video showed I was not bending correctly at the hips and "exercise 7" was recommended as a way to build up flexibility to help with this (which in turn helps lead to a flatter back and get your backside helping turn the pedals). Further reassurance was provided by a youngster in Team GB kit (afraid I did not recognise him) doing the very "exercise 7" while waiting to come in for a fitting after me.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • These sound good - do you know which Cycling Weekly it was?

Thanks
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    These sound good - do you know which Cycling Weekly it was?

Thanks

Sept 11 edition
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • If anyone is interested ,someone has posted a copy of the exericises and the article on the web as a pdf file. Google "Egoscue and Cycling Weekly" and you should find it.

Bahzob - Good to hear that you have seen and heard further endorsement of the exercises. I'll keep going with them.

I think the repeat 5 times is a misprint as well. I tend to do 2 reps of 40s each hip and then die!
  • i've been doing core stability exercises for about 2 years, after a while you do notice an improvement, but its one that seems to come out of the blue
    as for back pains i can't comment as i'm only 17, i was told by my sailing physio that doing core stability exersizes would prevent them, but i do find it incredibly boring doing it
  • Thanks for the info bahzob and Fermapiedi
  • I was looking through some old Cycling Weeklys (or should that be Weeklies) at the weekend and came accross another article about Egoscue in the 24th January 08 edition.

Richlong28 starting core stability exercises at 15 is pretty good! Hopefully you should be well on the way to preventing any back problems in later life.

Three weeks in and my back is not as sore in the mornings.
  • Glad some of you got to try out the sequence.

Hip Lift is only once at 60secs, anyone doing 5 sets is a hero!!!

Pam
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    Very interesting, have just downloaded the pdf, thanks ever so much for the link.

Being a chronic back sufferer of around 5 yeas, I'll try anything!!

Am going to an Alexander technique class in 2 weeks (Have already tried sports massage, physio, Chiropractor, Osteopath, Tamars, pilates)

I see there are varying opinions on this Egoscue technique, some people saying it is twaddle, but seemingly plenty seeing benefits, inlcuding you chaps above!

I notice that Play have a related DVD for £12.99, and there is a few books on Amazon for under a tenner. I'll try the pdf, and if that seems useful I may try further media.

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Glad some of you guys managed to get into doing the sequence, and I hope its still helping you.

The Hip lift is only once and for 60secs each side, anyone doing 5 sets is a hero!!!

Pam
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Interesting - I've found both the articles (Jan & Sept ones). Will see how this goes because one thing for sure Physio has never helped, actually made things significantly worse so it can't be any worse than that.
  • Hi Doyler
    It might be the physio didnt help as they were treating the symptoms you have and not the cause? ie posture.
    If you have any questions let me know, I will see if I can help.
    Pam