Wheelset change

zaris
zaris Posts: 337
edited November 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys,

Am looking to buy a new wheel set, now my current ones the mavic are kinda falling apart and am thinking of getting the halo combat wheels, but i don't know the difference and if they would fit on my bike.

The current ones i have have the mavic 317, i got them on a rockhopper pro comp disc.

Here are the ones i am looking to get, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Halo_ ... 300001739/

Well its a wheel set, any idea if they would fit my rockhopper or not.

cheers

zaris

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they will fit.

but they are a bit heavy and wide for a Rockhopper.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • zaris
    i just checked now on my wheels, there like really thin, would these like create any problems with my brakes and stuff...i mean i don't mind the weight...am going to be changing frame soon too...am just making up the time with this bike i guess :D
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Combats are really heavy-duty. You'll make the bike feel like a tank if you fit them. You say that you don't mind the weight but believe me, you will.

The only difference the width of the rim makes is that they allow you to run wider tyres without risk of them rolling off - but they may be too wide for anything around under 2,2 section.

A better bet would be these. The rear wheel alone is over 500grams lighter than the equivalent Combat which is a huge amount.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • zaris
    Thing is i wanted to get some thick tyres on my wheels, and well altough i doubt the chance of the ones i have in mind to fit....would 2.35 sized tyres fit on the mavic 317?

Also i recently started hiting some doubles with the bike and had 2 spokes brake on me...i am fairly sure its the jumps fault xD...does this mean they need maintenance or replacements?

thanks for the help so far