Wanted . genuine buyer (rant)

peanut
peanut Posts: 1,373
edited November 2008 in The bottom bracket
To whom it may concern :lol:

what is it these days ? is it me ?

I offered to help a member out with a gift of some free Ultegra 600 cranks .I cannot accept a cheque for the postage because I would have to post the cheque to my Bank and run the money through my business accounts (income)and frankly its not worth the hassle .After a week of mucking about the OP decides he can't trust me to send a fiver in the post recorded delivery :roll:
Another member offers to buy my block and spare sprockets but never sends the money, claims he has been too busy to post it !?

. a second member steps in and agrees to buy them and they haven't sent any money either ! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

If you agree to buy something don't muck the seller about for a week then send no money or message. It destroys trust and confidence in trading

Rant over :wink:

Comments

• Surely as a rant this should have been posted in Soap box?

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Bad form indeed, peanut. Name and shame I say. If agree to buy then that's it. I've even gone ahead with a buy no longer really wanting the item IF I've done the electronic "shake on it". And refused a higher offer IF I've said "sold".
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • peanut
    the amazing thing is I offered the cranks free in response to a request for help !

Oh well, :roll: I was cross at the time but we learn from such experiences hopefully.

:wink:
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Sellers can be pains too, I agreed a deal for a set of Avid Hydro 3's, The seller then said he was going away for the weekend and to wait to hear from him before I paid, Its been a couple of weeks, and I have emailed the seller about 5 times, no reply, in the mean time I missed a set on ebay, annoying.....
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • peanut
    gb155 wrote:
    Sellers can be pains too, I agreed a deal for a set of Avid Hydro 3's, The seller then said he was going away for the weekend and to wait to hear from him before I paid, Its been a couple of weeks, and I have emailed the seller about 5 times, no reply, in the mean time I missed a set on ebay, annoying.....

yes I can sympathise with that. I have had the same situation myself but sent a five pound note to a member and received no magazine in return :x

Incidentally how is your weight loss program going ? thats a fantastic result so far. well done.I've been fighting a losing battle with my weight for 8 years now .I make small gains then lose motivation and it all piles back on. Its so hard :cry:
  • gb155
    peanut wrote:
    gb155 wrote:

yes I can sympathise with that. I have had the same situation myself but sent a five pound note to a member and received no magazine in return :x

Incidentally how is your weight loss program going ? thats a fantastic result so far. well done.I've been fighting a losing battle with my weight for 8 years now .I make small gains then lose motivation and it all piles back on. Its so hard :cry:

Seems you had it worse than me then, Its such a pain, I will just save up and buy a new set I think, Though I intend to treat myself to a hybrid in April, So maybe I will get one with hydros on and keep the giant for weekend fun etc.

Its Going great thanks very much, I have now lost 13 stone and cycled 602 Miles :D, Feels AMAZING, I hope I can keep going, I sure feel like I can, I keep making my commute longer every morning and it seems like FUN, Never thought i'd say that !
    I feel your pain though, its taken me years to finally nail it, Good luck, If I can be of any help, I will.

• peanut
    how have you managed it.?
    When did you start and how exactly did you manage it ? Did you cycle every day ? and how many miles did you do?
    Have you kept a diary or done a blog ?

I need some help and motivation . You have done so well you have really inspired me.
  • gb155
    I started at the end of Nov last year, So 11 Months, I cycle between 80 and 100 miles a week now, Its was REALLY hard at first, Now Im just Lov'in IT

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Just....well done! I can't even imagine how much effort and will-power that must take.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • peanut
    its pretty incredible :shock:
    Surely your weight loss is not just down to cycling though ? did you change your diet much ? I'm trying to find out how you did it
  • gb155
    meagain wrote:
    Just....well done! I can't even imagine how much effort and will-power that must take.

Thanks very muc, Its much appreciated,

• gb155
    peanut wrote:
    its pretty incredible :shock:
    Surely your weight loss is not just down to cycling though ? did you change your diet much ? I'm trying to find out how you did it

Sorry it seems I didnt read your whole message, It was really hard at first, I couldnt walk to the kitchen, I reducted my intake to just a couple of hundred cals a day, and walked round the block, built them both up over time and im now doing between 14 and 25 miles a day at a maximum of between 700 and 1000 cals a day ( Iknow its low, see other threads, but thats for another day) I have also cut out most fats from my diet, Although today I treated myself to 10 grams of the stuff, first time this year though, I keep a log using something called "Spottracks"

Gaz

• I have a slightly different selling problem (if it is a problem).. I'm offering an unwanted new book on Ebay and though there's still 6 days to go there seems to have been some kind of bidding war going on and the thing is already £3 above the cover price you would pay in an ordinary bookshop, let alone in the cut-price supermarkets -- are these people mad? :D

Oh well, it's their (virtual) money...
  • peanut
    thanks Gaz. Its kinda like I expected. Thats a terrific calorie reduction. I have recently tried to reduce to 1500 Kal per day and it is almost impossible. There are so many ways we can inadvertently consume extra calories without being aware of it.

I kept a daily calorie diary for 2 months at the start of this year and went to the gym twice a week . I barely lost 6 lbs :shock:

1000 calories a day is way lower than the recommended daily intake but it is probably the only way we can get the weight off sucessfully. The problem is finding a balanced way that can be maintained as a lifestyle otherwise we'll pile it all back on again which is what I have been doing for 22 years
  • peanut
    thanks Gaz. Its kinda like I expected. Thats a terrific calorie reduction. I have recently tried to reduce to 1500 Kal per day and it is almost impossible. There are so many ways we can inadvertently consume extra calories without being aware of it.

I kept a daily calorie diary for 2 months at the start of this year and went to the gym twice a week . I barely lost 6 lbs :shock:

1000 calories a day is way lower than the recommended daily intake but it is probably the only way we can get the weight off sucessfully. The problem is finding a balanced way that can be maintained as a lifestyle otherwise we'll pile it all back on again which is what I have been doing for 22 years
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    I have a slightly different selling problem (if it is a problem).. I'm offering an unwanted new book on Ebay and though there's still 6 days to go there seems to have been some kind of bidding war going on and the thing is already £3 above the cover price you would pay in an ordinary bookshop, let alone in the cut-price supermarkets -- are these people mad? :D

Oh well, it's their (virtual) money...

Three reasons, all going in different directions!
    1) Ebay markets are not rational. http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvest ... yers_N.htm

2) This can also be a form of advanced "phising" - depends on how clear you were on payment mechanism, but the buyer could say yes, I will pay, but only by bank transfer (eg) then cancel, and they have your account details, email etc. Look at bidders histories.

3) My personal favourite reason: The relatively high level of fraud, plus lack of traqnsparency and hence at best tangential relationships with the tax authorities, has resulted in an effective disounting of EBAY to real money, so 100 GBP in my EBAY account is onlty worth 90 outside
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • peanut
    I disagree I'm afraid. The reason people bid higher than the retail price is because they get carried away and refuse to be beaten. Sheer pigheadedness Its the same mentality that drivers have where they will accelerate towards stationary traffic rather than slow down and let you in when overtaking. :roll:

Plus few people bother to check the current price online and set a maximum biding price.

Beware the seller that has a hidden bidder set. The only reason anyone would want to hide the bidders identities is to disguise the fact that they have got one of their mates to bid the price up . :evil:
  • I suspect it's the stubborn/irrational aspect: the book in question is a biog by a certain eligible bachelor-type TV chef. Looking at the various bidders names they all appear to be ladies, making me suspect the auction has become a symbolic battle for possession of this guy (in the form of his book), with each bidder determined that his book will not be claimed by another woman.

:lol:
  • peanut
    I suspect it's the stubborn/irrational aspect: the book in question is a biog by a certain eligible bachelor-type TV chef. Looking at the various bidders names they all appear to be ladies, making me suspect the auction has become a symbolic battle for possession of this guy (in the form of his book), with each bidder determined that his book will not be claimed by another woman.

:lol:

wimin eh ! :roll: :roll: :roll: now there's something that defies all rational explanation :lol::wink:
  • Sold!

£34.33 (plus p&p) for book you can buy for £20 in the shops.

I love ebay. :D
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    Sold!
    £34.33 (plus p&p) for book you can buy for £20 in the shops.
    I love ebay. :D
    Have you got the money yet ?

Snake
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!