Now There Are FOUR....

meagain
meagain Posts: 2,331
edited November 2008 in Road general
...Fixeds in the garage! The latest and poshest....

SynFix.jpg
d.j.
"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Comments

• daz51
    daz51 Posts: 159
    that looks one harsh gear set up ???? lol
  • meagain
    How "harsh"? As in "high"? Nope, about 61"!
    d.j.
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    Is that a mid 90s Dawes, just curious as my mate had a 653 road bike in a very similar colour. Either way looks fast and I like the blue bar ends, note to self must get out more.
  • meagain
    1997 I think, Rob. "Synthesis 653 XT" - a sort of touring 700c wheel hybrid? Listed at a grand in XT form at the time. The frame is VERY lovely "fillet brazed". And the colour is I think excellent - bought it to match the bar ends which I have had on the shelf for some years!!!!
    d.j.
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    I love fillet brazing as much as I like fancy lugs. That was a top line frame for sure, I think my mates was an Impulse which had 105 or 600 from a somewhat hazy memory.
  • meagain
    "...a top line frame for sure..." and in mint condition and with a near enough new set of 250 quid wheels (Eno rear hub!) a bargainl I reckoned at 270 quid!
    d.j.
  • Hi gents,

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the attraction of fixed / single gear bikes. Is it not possible to have the same gear ratio with a triple chainset and just stay in the same gear all the time?
    2 Wheels or not 2 wheels..That is not in question.
  • meagain
    "Excuse my ignorance, but what's the attraction of fixed / single gear bikes."

Entirely reasonable question .... and before any deluge of answers that will be much philosophically deeper than I can manage.... for me it just makes life simpler. Not having to worry about being in the right gear means I'm never in the wrong one! And being a bear of very little brain just one ratio is rather relaxing.

" Is it not possible to have the same gear ratio with a triple chainset and just stay in the same gear all the time?"

Yes of course it is (tho' free rather than fixed!). But the dangly bits just look ugly. And weigh more.

And you will note that I have taken your Qs at face value and have answered them with an entirely straight face. Bit like riding fixed really.....
    d.j.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Hi gents,

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the attraction of fixed / single gear bikes. Is it not possible to have the same gear ratio with a triple chainset and just stay in the same gear all the time?[/quote

:shock: :shock: :shock:
    Burn him he's a witch, just kidding, there are so many reasons but far be it for me to answer, see links for most excellent responses to your question.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-speed_bicycle#Advantages_and_disadvantages_versus_multi-speed_bicycles
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.