glentress v kirroughtree

rinkydinkdink
rinkydinkdink Posts: 60
edited November 2008 in MTB rides
Going for a blast around the 7-stanes for a couple of days next week, but have a bit of a dilemna. Have a place to stay for nowt over near Kirroughtree where I've ridden loads before and loved. But thinking of trying out Glentress with a mate who hasn't done either.
What's the verdict from people who've done both of them. I appreciate Glentress is said to be the best in GB. Is it that much better, though?

Comments

• Hi rinkydinkydink,
    haven't ridden at GT yet, only visit was as a walker 3-4 months ago. Trails look awesome, what bits i saw, they must be good as it was very busy with bikers both in the Buzzards and Osprey Car Parks. Kirry, which i have ridden, mostly Red route, which i find flows like a flowy thing should,
    Sure he won't be dissappointed whichever one you take him too.
    You could either do Glentress and Inners over 2 days or Kirry and Dalbeattie to make it worthwhile.
    I think the free accomodation would swing it for me :wink:
  • Thanks for the advice. Think I@m going to start at Glentress, though to be honest, it doesn't look as good from the videos I've seen, but everyone reckons it's the best MTBing in the country.
    We'll have to see. Doesn't look as though it's got the gnarly rock gardens like you've got on the black at Kirroughtree.
  • Sure you'll both have a blast rinkydinkdink :lol:
    Look forward to your report :wink:
    Have a good one.
  • What type of riding do you do?
    I do mainly xc to freeride (not full on DH yet) and i was up at glentress a few weeks ago which was absoloutly incredible. more jumps and drops than you could shake a bike at and the trails are sooooo flowing its unbelieveable.
    Not been to Kirroughtree but from what iv heared its more XC / AM orientated with only occasional serious stuff.
    Dave
  • Yeti575
    Yeti575 Posts: 291
    Definitely Glentress. I've doen most of the trail centres in England, Wales and Scotland and would rate GT as the top one, by quite a way.
    If it's not a Yeti, it's not worth riding!
  • hard one, both great trails but Kirroughtree Black is about the best manmade trail I've ever ridden. You MUST ride it. I loved Glentress too though but I think Kirroughtree has my overall vote. It's long and it's tiring so be warned but the decent off Black Craigs is the best bit of singletrack I've ever ridden. Enjoy 8)
  • Thanks for the tips guys.
    Did both in the end, but made the mistake of just doing the black at Glentress which seems to grind away for ever before you get to the good stuff with all the north shore. Missed doing spooky wood, which everyone has since raved about.
    Did innerleithen the next day and preferred that. Puts the up and down at Cwm Carn into perspective.
    But have to say that the black at Kirroughtree is the best of the lot. Certainly for me. It may not have the jumps of innerleithen, but 15km of singltrack from the top of Black Craigs down to sea level has to be worth the grind of getting up Heartbreak Hill. Even in last Sunday's monsoon. And I nailed hissing syd.
    If anyone knows of similar types of routes, I'd love to hear where they are.
  • If anyone knows of similar types of routes, I'd love to hear where they are.

Golspie. It's miles and miles away, even from central Scotland, but the 7k up 7k down is amazing.