Good tyre size for xc?

The HutcH
The HutcH Posts: 107
edited January 2009 in XC and Enduro
What in your opinion is the best size tyre for xc

Comments

• good question, i've been trying to find out what tyre i should use,

a friend of mine who works in a bike shop said that skinny tyres will cut into the mud better and give you more drive, but fatter tyres will give you more grip on the rocky slippery stuff

atm i have 1.6's i think on my boardman and use them on the less experience trails at cann woods and they serve me well but the trails aren't exactly challenging

where abouts are you from in Devon btw,
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    Erm depends on conditions. In the dry I think that the racing ralphs are the best tyre about. I havent found my perfect tyre in the wet yet but medusa in using are ok but get them in a smaller size and softer compound. Everyone has different preferences but you should also play with tyre pressures to see whats the optimum for each tyre
  • Dan67 wrote:
    Erm depends on conditions. In the dry I think that the racing ralphs are the best tyre about. I havent found my perfect tyre in the wet yet but medusa in using are ok but get them in a smaller size and softer compound. Everyone has different preferences but you should also play with tyre pressures to see whats the optimum for each tyre

He wants tyre size suggestions not actual tyres.

I would say that around 2.0 is good but as ^he^ said it depends on the conditions.

Also you have to remember that different manufacturers might state the same size but can be totally different.

Ralphs are very good in the dry though ;) Bonty Muds in the wet
    _ _ _ _
    Green people might argue that cyclists deserve a tax break because they aren't polluting the environment, but cyclists burn energy similarly to cars: their increased demand for food isn't great for the environment
  • Well i currently have a 2.25 Shwalbe Sport Albert on the back and a 2.10 Kenda on the front but i like the grip the Schwalbe offers off-road and it doesnt apear to slow me down on road. I have ordered another Shwalbe 2.25 tyre for the front.
  • Dilker
    Dilker Posts: 88
    26x2.00 Michelin XC Dry 2 for summer/dryer months

Hutchinson Toro 26x2.15 at the moment.

Both are tubeless so i can run lower pressures if needed.
    'to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift' Steve Prefontaine

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race" H.G.Wells
  • I tried the Racing Ralphs and found I got nothing but punctures with them,im talking every ride at least one if not two!!!!!!!!!!.

I swapped to Maxxis High Rollers 2.35 and have never looked back,much more grip then the Ralphs and loads more confidence and no more punctures.

Rich
  • I have gone over to 2.1 Maxxis Crossmark UST which seem very predictable and quick rolling/clearing. I have a set of 1.9 High Roller UST as well.
    If i am going out on one i am happy, If i am out on one i am happy, If i have just been out on one i am happy, otherwise miserable!
  • Dilker
    Dilker Posts: 88
    rd350lc wrote:
    I tried the Racing Ralphs and found I got nothing but punctures with them,im talking every ride at least one if not two!!!!!!!!!!

I had the same thing... just sold a pair on ebay. Fast but soft as shit!!
    'to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift' Steve Prefontaine

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race" H.G.Wells
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    2.2" (but are actually much thinner!) Conti Mountain King Protections - do it all (roll well, grip well, corner well, etc!) are tough and light. Only one puncture in about 800 miles and that was glass yet weigh under 600g each. Also lasting ages. Love them! And Conti car tyres - SportContact 3s all round on the car - brilliant tyres.
  • On my mtb I have a larger (2.1) Panaracer XC Pro on the front and narrow 1.8 Panaracer XC Pro on the rear...

I stick a 2.1 on the rear if it's very dry (and used a pair (2.1s) on the transalp last summer)

...don't think I've ever punctured them either (unlike the original specialized tyres)
  • I use 2.1 optimumly, but depending on conditions I sometimes go 2.35 of bigger still..

Got some Tioga tyres.. Flippin huge! Didn't think tyres came that thick! :shock:
  • I use Maxxis TT Larsen 2.35. Really fast rolling, extremely predictable grip on pretty much all conditions. They never seem to get mentioned anywhere, but someone recommended them to me and I wont go back to the various Panaracer, Bontager/Continental etc that I have tried.

It tis the predictability that is the key to them. Yes, something else might have more actual grip in certain conditions, but you simply stop thinking about tyres when you use these ones cause you know they will stick, pretty much whatever happens, and when they do let go it is gradual, controlled and you have a chance to react.

Basically without them I am more rubbish than when I use them, and it's not in my head.
  • i'm using Panaracer Cinders at the mo, 2.25 up front and 1.95 rear,
    very grippy on most surfaces, although in gloopy mud they do clog up easily! (not sure on many tyres that dont!!)
    but are impressive with grip levels through normal mud etc!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • i'm using Panaracer Cinders at the mo, 2.25 up front and 1.95 rear,
    very grippy on most surfaces, although in gloopy mud they do clog up easily! (not sure on many tyres that dont!!)
    but are impressive with grip levels through normal mud etc!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I use 2.3 Conti Gravity up front and a 2.1 Vapor on the back .
  • I'm using an old pair of near dead 1.95 Factory XC's atm, waiting for my Conti 1.5 CrossCountry's to arrive (yes 1.5) I prefer thin tires, could just be me being a weirdo though. :-D
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    i've just put a pair of Panaracer Fire XC's on mine. They are 2.1's but look narrower than the Smart Sams I took off. Didnt want to go for a pure mud tyre because my riding can be quite varied. However they did perform fairly well on their first outing in soem pretty thick gloop. For the price, i think they are excellent

Nice red sidewalls too 8)
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • I'm using 2.25 Nobby Nics front and back. They are too wide and the next tyres will be 1.95.
  • i was using continental vapours, 26"x2.1 appartently :? they felt much much thinner

recently changed to a set of michelin country all terain's, 26"x2.0 which although are a tad thinner, give me alot more confidence, i did the Soggy Bottoms race 1 last weekend and i'm sure if i'd had my vapours on i'd have died
  • Got my other Schwalbe Sport Albert tyre the other day. Fitted it, looks dead smart. Not only are they perfect for my type of riding in my opinion bigger tyres look sweet on your mtb. :D
  • Got my other Schwalbe Sport Albert tyre the other day. Fitted it, looks dead smart. Not only are they perfect for my type of riding in my opinion bigger tyres look sweet on your mtb. :D
  • I run a 2.2 on the front and 2.0 on the back. Works well.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • i use , not sure what , but theyr'e thick tioga ones factory dh , i use them for xc , really good.
    "Giant NRS 4 2003"
    "Giant Terrago 2002"
    "Giant box one 2000"

"www.youtube.com/tubtom1 - my site, bike vids on there."
  • kenda nevegal 2.35 front 2.1 rear- pinch flat proof, good grip, a little heavy
  • I have tryed make different brands and different widths, but the tyre i run just now are th High Roller in 2.1. For the price these tyres are fantastic and are prefect for the average Rider!!!
    Orange St4-Reba SL-FullXT