Threaded headset question

desweller
desweller Posts: 5,175
edited November 2008 in The workshop
Delurking to plead for headset help!

I have a cheap and cheerful Dawes hybrid (bought new for the princely sum of £160 in January this year). Considering the price, it has done very well - I have covered well over 4000 miles on it since purchase.

As might be expected It's showing signs of ageing in many areas, most of which I can deal with (being an engineer). One part that has me in the dark though is the headset, which is now indexing in a very nasty fashion. There are substantial detents in the bearing race at the base of the headtube, so I think it has pretty much had its chips.

The steerer is 1" diameter with a thread cut into the top, and the stem is a quill type. I guess this makes the headset a 1" threaded headset?

The question is, will any 1" headset have the right O/D (outer diameter) to fit into the headtube? I can't measure the I/D (inner diameter) of the tube without removing the existing headset, which I am loathe to do without knowing that I can replace it - the bike is my only form of transport. In any case, I can't find any mention anywhere of the O/D of the various headsets I've come across on t'interweb so I'm assuming that they are all the same?

Thanks to everyone for a great forum!

Des
- - - - - - - - - -
On Strava.{/url}

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    in a word, YES.

the info if you want it can be found on Parktools webby.

be aware that the headset cups will be an interference fit in the headtube and will need press fitting.

the tools for removing the cups and pressing in the cups can be seen on Parktools and with a little thought can be reproduced fairly easily by an engineer.

here it the thread on Park

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=127
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • desweller
    Magic.

Looks like a hunt round the Stores area at work for some studding, big washers and pipe methinks...

That Park Tools frame race remover widget is pretty natty though!

Thanks!

Des
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • nicklouse
    top tip for you when fitting the new cups. One at a time NOT both together.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • desweller
    Ta, both at once DOES sound like Route One to wonky cups. Got a Shimano one with cartridge bearings to attempt the swap this weekend so fingers crossed!

Des
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • nicklouse
    DesWeller
    you will be surprised how many people do fit both at the same time, shop mechanics included with the correct tools.
  • desweller
    Well, I guess the questions I should have asked were,

'Will all fork raceways fit all forks?',

(cos mine didn't) and,

'How do I know if enough of the fork will still stick out for the locknut with a different headset?'

(cos mine doesn't).

Apart from that it's all gone swimmingly!

Des
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • nicklouse
    the crown race will need to be changed.

sounds like the new one is a bit too "tall"

got pics?
  • desweller
    I, er, polished the I/D to make it fit.

It's one of these though:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Shim ... inch-(22.2)-15209.htm

Des

EDIT There's not much spare height in the crown race, it's actually not as tall as the one that came off. The new headset uses cartridge bearings though, whereas the old unit used loose balls, so there is some extra material in the bearing assembly - it only needs 3 or 4 mm and the locknut would go on! Think it could be new fork time?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • nicklouse
    try swapping the crown race first.

look in the MTB FAQ for "a" way to do it. (removing the old that is).
  • desweller
    Got it.

A new race is only £1 so I'll give it a whiz and let you know!

I must admit I'd be surprised if there was a significant height difference between the two race types.

Cheers,

Des
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • nicklouse
    it just depends on how they "sit".

but most threaded setups worked with any threaded headset with no issues.