Help/opinions welcome

George Poole
George Poole Posts: 21
edited November 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,
Looking to get a better bike, currently have a 1999 Fuji Tahoe with an RST Mozo fork and Dia Compe V brakes.
For around £360-370 I'm torn between Focus Black Hills, GT Avalanche 2.0 or Giant XTC 4.5 all 08 models with Hydro discs etc.

Don't know much about Focus, seem to have a good spec and the Fat Boy gets good reviews, anyone any experience with them?

The old Fuji is a good old bike with Shimano Deore stx etc, £470 when new. Do I just get a hydro disc brake kit and disc specific wheelset for half the cost of a new bike?

Any more info on all of the above would be great,

Cheers
Geordie

Comments

• Hey george,
    You could go either way!
    My reasoning is that the new bike option would get you a better quality frame that would be worthy of upgrades as things break and wear out.The drive train and fork would more than likely be better than you have now as they are eight years newer, and you get hydro discs too.
    But if you went with the wheel/disk option you get to keep the bike you know with better brakes and posibly lighter wheels if you go tubeless (prime oppertunity to do this). Also when you do change bikes in the future you will have deacent aftermarket wheels and brakes to stick on the next new one and you save a few quid in the process!
    Bike or wheels, You decide!
    Happy trails.
  • jsap
    jsap Posts: 14
    I would recomend the giant. I had one of their hardtail's for 4 years and it served me well. They are tough and hard working bikes. I woulden't buy a focus as they arn't a good company to buy a cheap bike from(you need the best customer service and the parts need to be avaidable.) I'm not a fan of GT though their bikes do get good reviews. Best thing to do is get yourself to the bike shop and have a little ride on the bikes, see what you like and make a choice from there.
  • jsap wrote:
    I would recomend the giant. I had one of their hardtail's for 4 years and it served me well. They are tough and hard working bikes. I woulden't buy a focus as they arn't a good company to buy a cheap bike from(you need the best customer service and the parts need to be avaidable.) I'm not a fan of GT though their bikes do get good reviews. Best thing to do is get yourself to the bike shop and have a little ride on the bikes, see what you like and make a choice from there.[/quo

nothin wrong with focus bikes :wink:
    focus superbud