Swinley forest, what's that? the bling 'outdoors' of South?

silly lily
silly lily Posts: 505
edited November 2008 in MTB rides
Hi!
Just to say tha I unfortunately picked a Sunday (yesterday ) to go mountain b iking in Swinley Forest: oh my dear, dear, dear GOD!
Is that the hang out of the designer-jeans and boots townies outside London? The place where they venture 'into the nature' and the 'great outdoors' and from where they come with the firm impression 'oh dear, there were soooo many people on those-what do you call them?-bicycles!'
I could hardly move! I had to wear shades just to protect my eyes from the sparkling bling adorning their attires.
Point is: are there any other mountain biking places like this because I'd very much like to avoid them! These guys just spoil it from me in a big, big way.
Absolutely agree that the place is for everyone and they have the right to walk around it, but I won't go again!
My On One Inbred and Com Meta 5.5.1:
http://silly-lily.pinkbike.com/album/My-MTB/

www.sophialibris.com
Academic Coaching and Advising Consultancy

Comments

• Tranced
    Tranced Posts: 165
    I don't believe you got out & into the expert MTB area. I've been going there for some weeks now (most Sun's) & have not yet seen bling on the hills. No doubt the area around the lookout is family area especially over weekends, but up resevoir hill area you're in for a treat.
    Just last week I found a whole new section of fantastic twisty windy ST up & over some wow hills & the DH on them was great. Plus found the freeride gully. Didn't know it was there.
    Get out there & explore. Stay off the roads & keep to ST only. You won't be sorry.
    Embrace cynicism…. see the bigger picture!!!!
  • Oh, trust me, stayed there all day long, did ST's up and down and even had to ask the people in pretty jeans o move the h*** out of the way... maybe I was just plain un lucky and I don't doubt, of course, there's mountain biking there; that was not the idea of my post.
    My On One Inbred and Com Meta 5.5.1:
    http://silly-lily.pinkbike.com/album/My-MTB/

www.sophialibris.com
    Academic Coaching and Advising Consultancy
  • Agree, stick to the ST........

I've also ridden at the peak of the day and the further you get from the look out the better it gets... Or if you really want it to yourself, get there early…..I was there 7:30am on Saturday, the fog lifting slowly....expert area was just waking up, ST to be explored...perfect start to the day!
    Scott Scale
    Orange E3 (retro)
  • A nice sunny sunday at swinley will always be busy. Actually, so long as it's not raining it'll be packed. Once you get past the dog walkers and the push chair brigade that congregate near the go-ape course, it's great. Also, did you find sandy cutting (the jump gully)? This is probably my favourite part, always good for a laugh too when some tiny kid on a huuuuge kona stinky stacks it on a jump.
  • Tranced
    Tranced Posts: 165
    I came accross that by surprise a couple of weeks ago. Almost stacked it into the gully from the side opposite the road. Braked just in time. Hills on opposite side of the rd are great fun.
    Embrace cynicism…. see the bigger picture!!!!
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    Rode there today, saw 1 other group of mountain bikers the whole day. Once you get away from the parking area its fine even on busy days, you did get out of the car park didnt you?
  • I've not biked there but have run in Swinley Forest, the further into the forest you go the quieter it is. I even run the STs and sometimes never come across a bike even on a busy Sunday afternoon
  • mbrfan
    mbrfan Posts: 239
    Myself and mate used to go every Sunday first thing - before dawn in the winter. Rarely saw anyone else and the benefit in the winter is that the ground is still frozen and the trails fast. We could put in a good couple of hours with just the deer for company.

As for bling - I presume you mean green welly brigade and not chavs. We'd see loads of "all the gear, no idea" unloading their Audi estates when we'd return to the car park at 11am.
  • stev68
    stev68 Posts: 109
    rode it saturday evening got there about 5 ish,was dead.done the fun bits in the light like labyrinth etc,then tha dark came in and i was on my own!was great doing the tank trail in the dark,no one too crash into just me myself and i.does get busy at the monkey bit,but about a mile in and the chavs cant walk no more further than that ! lol :D
    Told ya itll hurt!
  • the push chairs are just there for target practice. kids you get a couple points. I just get fed when you get three mums out there talking in line purposly walking slow and forming a rolling road block.

BAN PUSH CHAIRS
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I'm there every weekend more or less and have no problems with pedestrians. They rarely, if ever, get over to the good riding (there's the odd one on what I call transit trails), and only once have I ever had to shout at someone for being in a REALLY dangerous place (runner in the labyrinth, WTF?).

I tend to ride alone but occasionally ride along with people I bump into in the car park and arrange meets from people on various forums. If anyone wants a bit of guiding, let me know.

In terms of the rolling road blocks, I only ever run into them within half a mile of the lookout. Once I'm out of there, I can hoon past people at whatever speed is reasonable for their dogs/kids/idiocy.
  • I think its a great please, if theirs anything better or as good locally do tell. cos I've not found any ST quite like swinley anywhere. And theirs so much of it. ya just gota find it cos it's well hidden especially if your new to it.
    Steve Sparkes
    Don't let the dark nights get the better of you..
    http://www.stevesparkes.co.uk/index.html
  • ssparkes, have you tried north of Reading? there is some good ST to be found

Personal favs..
    Thames path between Whitchurch and Goring
    Woodcote to Mapledurhum via Goring Heath (this can be muddy in places)

Re Swinley
    At the moment I find the ST does not flow enough to create a decent ride....I guess the more I visit the more this will improve :wink:
    Scott Scale
    Orange E3 (retro)
  • what is the stuff like round north reading. im a maidenhead person (dont worry i wont steal your wallet) so reading is not all that far away from me.

where abouts would I be looking for if i was to head out that way.
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • If you get an OS map, head over caversham bridge and head towards mapledurhum. ride/link any bridleway from here and you'll have some fun.

Thames path is good ST "in places", esp Whitchurch to Goring....this part includes the steps....(ride it or walk it) when past this you hit the ST itself, the ST sits high above the river and like the steps you have to pay attention or it could be game over in a BIG way.

For more good XC head to Woodcote, Stoke Row, Checkendon.

These guys have some good maps.

http://www.racecar.co.uk/mtb/rides.htm
    Scott Scale
    Orange E3 (retro)
  • I've started getting into ST now, and rather than spend hours searching endlessly for good routes, am keen to hook up with people familiar with Swinley to get me going, and 'avoid' the walking trails!

I'm based in Woking and haven't splashed out on anything crazy, just a simple GT hardtail to get me into it all.

Let me know if anyone wants to hook up this Saturday or Sunday (earlier the better!)

kev
  • Atz
    I might not be able to make this particular weekend but I'm usually there around 8:30am so PM me if you want to see if we can sort something
  • Atz
    Weather permitting looks like a couple of us are doing this. Any more?
  • I live just round the corner from Swinley and the Look Out and think its great mountain biking. It does get really busy within a mile radius of the lookout but once you get past all the walkers and pushchairs its great....also great for night riding....I've been going for the past couple of years and can still find new bits of single track.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    What's it like in the winter, pretty muddy and wet or does it drain well? I've only been in the Spring/Summer but am thinking of going up towards the end of Novemeber.
  • Swinley isn't too bad in the winter, as the sandy nature of the soil means the area drains well. Some of the trails have been reinforced over the past couple of years, and these are the best ones to stick too when it is really wet. If it is wet the mud isn't sticky so doesn't clog the bikes, but can be a bit abrasive on brake pads.