Attention Welsh speakers

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Saw this on the ITV news tonight too and had to laugh.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Mae un sais twp yn y cyngor yn Abertawe...
  • A little funny i'd say but there's a good point
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Rob why are you writing in Welsh on a British forum?
    Fench people don't write in French on this forum, why do Welsh people feel the need to write in Welsh?

As an aside thats rather funny, shows how many people care about Welsh as the sign got all the way to production :)
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    nolf wrote:

Welsh is a British language....Cau dy geg :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    As an aside thats rather funny, shows how many people care about Welsh as the sign got all the way to production

Unfortunately, this comment shows more about non Welsh speakers' attitude than that of many Welsh people and it is not an indication of how much we "care about Welsh".

This just shows incompetence at local government level, which could be avoided if they replaced the cost cutting measures they apply, allowing numpties to translate instead of ensuring that the work is done properly.

Let's not get in to a bashing match about this!
  • nolf wrote:
    Fench people don't write in French on this forum, why do Welsh people feel the need to write in Welsh?

As an aside thats rather funny, shows how many people care about Welsh as the sign got all the way to production :)

I'm Welsh, 8) I can't speak or write Welsh :( (unless it's after 10 pints of SA) I don't see what's wrong with a couple of people writing a language, do you?
    I guess that we can let you in on a little secret. Wales is a part of Britain. Shhh, keep it under your crash helmet. :D
    We wouldn't want people to find out. Well, not until the 6 Nations comes round anyway 8)

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    nolf wrote:

If you are claiming it's a British forum then I point out that I live in a bilingual country that is part of Britian. On that basis, it is just as legitimate for me to ask you why you're posting in English.

It is, of course, an international forum where tolerance is very important, and so I didn't think it would be too much of a problem injecting a bit of welsh humour into a thread that is about a dig at the hilarious incompetence of english speaking council officials in Swansea.

If I'd pointed out a similar gaff in the highlands I would have considered it rather good form for a Gaelic speaker to do something similar.
  • Whilst funny, I think it shows a symptom of a bad elitist set of my countrymen - the "uber-welsh, nationalist type english hater".

Think about it, the only way that sign could've got through the system is for that translator to have had his out of office reply in welsh alone, so that the person who requested the translation, and received that reply, think it was the translation they'd requested, and use it for the sign.

To me, this makes the translator the one at fault, because of their refusal to use english despite being a...translator.

These people confuse 'anti english' with 'pro-welsh', and thus do nothing for the furtherance of our language, apart from draw ridicule to it by their behaviour.

That probably didn't make any sense, but I blame these things on English being my second language :)
  • Pro Welsh? would refer to devolution
    Anti English? start singing about chariots.

• nolf wrote:

Welsh was being spoken long before English.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    nolf wrote:
    Sheesh, gerra life! The thread title gives a big clue, does it not?

To me the story smacks of typical Council incompetence, not just one individual's oversight. I'm convinced Councils try to outdo each other in this regard, there's probably a busy (office hours only) forum and some chap running a Fantasy League somewhere instead of doing his job.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • would it be called 'Fantacy f' ups' ? :D

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    robbarker wrote:
    So what does it mean in English?
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Funny story. Being a native english speaker (well, welsh is pretty damned useless growing up in Queensland) I've seen it myself but in german I think translated into english.

Not this bad though.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Crapaud wrote:
    robbarker wrote:
    So what does it mean in English?

Out of Office Reply...... :lol:

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Dim Parcio (No parking I think)....not relevant but it's all I know.

I love Wales and think that the South Wales accent is excellent, in case anyone cares.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • What percentage of the Welsh actually speak Welsh ? Don't they teach it at school in Wales ?
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • apparently about 21% can speak Welsh. Everyone has to take Welsh to some extent at school.

• passout wrote:
    Dim Parcio (No parking I think)....not relevant but it's all I know.

I love Wales and think that the South Wales accent is excellent, in case anyone cares.

Arafwch Nawr - very useful when out riding with others ( slow down now). Despite being Welsh I know very little. That's what comes of being born in Monmouthshire :(