Default resistance settings on a Tacx turbo trainer

Ken Night
Ken Night Posts: 2,005
edited November 2008 in Training, fitness and health
Someone suggested when I first started to use a turbo trainer, the machine needed calibrating each time you used it. First of all ensuring tyre pressure was 100psi, then calibrating

This was done by warming up the machine, then getting the speed up to 40kph. Then stop pedalling, noting the time it took for the wheel/flywheel to stop turning

I think the time given was either 11 or 13 seconds

Adjusting then the wheel that moves the tyre closer or further away from the flywheel, repeating until the desired rundown time was reached

I can't remember what this was supposed to be, and if I use 13 seconds, the tyre is hardly touching the flywheel at all

Am I doing this right-the Tacx website doesn't appear helpful at all
“It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway

Comments

• Which trainer do you have.
  • Ken Night
    polemann wrote:
    Which trainer do you have.

I might have got more answers if I'd mentioned Tacx Flow to start with!
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    I'm gonna be totally unhelpful and just say that I never bother calibrating mine. Used to get some wheel slip so now tighten the wheel as much as I can and leave it at that.
  • Ken, hi, I use a Tacx Flow, you do not have to adjust the pressure at the back to get a run down time, you just recalibrate when necessary, I do it once a week, using the setting up programm you describe. One does get a variety of calibration figures once it has rolled down, but as long as they are within the limits set (in the Flow booklet) then that is you calibrated, get on with it after that. Welcome to the wierd world of turbotraining. Hope you are keeping well. ATB, Simon
    The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
    Oscar Wilde
  • Ken Night wrote:
    polemann wrote:
    Which trainer do you have.

I might have got more answers if I'd mentioned Tacx Flow to start with!

Excellent same as me. You don't need to do that silly stuff you need to do with some other trainers. Just go into the options for the trainer and set it to calibrate. you simply spin up to 30km, it tells you to stop, and then it sets the calibrated value. It only take about 20 seconds to so so I do it everytime before I start a session. That way I can compare, more accurately, my sessions.

Its a great trainer
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    I always did as everyone has said above however - I went to a group Turbo session were I was advised to do as OP mentioned which I did. I now find that the trainer is working more accurately and feels more normal (I had to massive watts for low speeds). Before my calibration was reading +19 after adjusting the rear roller it was set to a maximum of +2. I know there is a wide spread of opinion but I really do think that you should adjust it to a reasonable figure before using the auto calibrate.
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    Almost on topic, but has anyone else used the Trainright DVDs and wondered about the gearing? It seems to me they do power intervals on the 4th highest gear of the small chainring (on a double) and recovery on the 2nd. I can't see how they are sweating so much with so little change in gearing! Or do I have my Turbo calibrated wrong?
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • Ken Night
    Ken, hi, I use a Tacx Flow, you do not have to adjust the pressure at the back to get a run down time, you just recalibrate when necessary, I do it once a week, using the setting up programm you describe. One does get a variety of calibration figures once it has rolled down, but as long as they are within the limits set (in the Flow booklet) then that is you calibrated, get on with it after that. Welcome to the wierd world of turbotraining. Hope you are keeping well. ATB, Simon

I've just tried the recalibration-seems to get the resistance back to where it was-so readings are consistent with last years efforts I hope

Thanks Simon
  • Similar question so I'm hoping that one of you helpful chaps can help me. I've just bought a fortis i-magic and having a few difficulties with callibrating the power brake - not sure if I'm just being a total girl about it but I'm making hard work of it!! Basic problem is that I go to calibrate it on the settings, it tells me to pedal (which I do) then only a few seconds later it tells me to stop pedalling and not to brake and the motor kicks in. However, a few seconds after that a message tells me that there is an error and it's failed. What am I doing wrong? I've tried fiddiling with the knob by the tyre (technical term) but have no real idea as to what I'm doing! At the moment, any slight incline on the virtual reality routes feel like massive inclines so I'm dreading trying out any of the proper climbing DVD's that I've bought. Any help would be grately appreciated as I can't seem to get any help with the website and am not a very techy gal!