What hardtail for £1,300

tlw1
tlw1 Posts: 21,831
edited November 2008 in MTB buying advice
Further to my nearly purchase of a Cannodale Taurine 3 carbon frame..................

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 3#15026153

I am looking for recommendations for someone who has cycled for years, but not been buying bike magazines for a long time!

I currently have a road bike and a mount vision (year 2000) and I mostly ride Llandegla and CYB and will keep my mount vision. I am reasonably heavy rider who does do big jumps, but will do 2 ft drop offs / ride over rocks, etc (basically getting old)!

I currently like............

Cannodale Taurine 3
Orange P7
On-One scandel

As its a present from the current wife £1300 is the max and min I would like to spend!

Comments

• johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    the current wife? I wouldnt let her read that... :lol:
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    I'd also take a look at the Cube Reaction XT, 2 of your 3 bikes listed are XC "race" machines and the Reaction is a great ride.

Link to Spec:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=30532

I like the look of the Tauine out of the 3 you listed. On One, I found a bit crap when i tried to buy a Scandel off them earlier this year so I maybe biased, supposed to be a great frame though.

However you say you like big jumps etc and really only the Orange is designed for that type of riding...so you need to decide XC bike or Hardcore hardtail :)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I would avoid the scandal (lol) as you might find it a bit racey for what you plan on doing. for £1300 you could build up a very nice 456 though, I'd be thinking:

RS pikes, XT drivetrain, Formula Oro brakes, hope hubs on 719 rims or dt 5.1 (i think that's the one i mean) and some really nice finishing kit.
  • easyg
    easyg Posts: 266
    For the riding you have described mate I would look at the Orange Crush and the Marin Rocky Ridge. I have a custom rocky ridge and I'm suggesting it as it would seem we do similar riding; aggressive, all mountain type stuff. The geometry of the frame is superb, and I always find myself gleaming with smiles when I take her down a fast techy trail spending most of the time in the air. - its awesome in a word and this years model has just won yet another test in this months MBR and costs £1250. My pal rides a custom Orange Crush, which is a very similar type of ride - he loves that too.
    "If you think straight enough, you can see round corners"
  • tlw1
    uuuurrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmm didn't check my spelling........

It should say DOESN'T do big jumps, but WILL do drop off's

Sorry for those that have based good advice around incorrect information!
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    on one 456 for general XC give it a 4" fork and it will all be good or go for a 5" and it sould not slow you down too much up the hills and will make things quicker back down them.

orderd my 456 on sunday and got hte frame tuesday...... no no complaints here about service.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    orange crush or if you can stretch an orange subzero?
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Gotta give Merlin a look to,

The Rock Lobster, which i own and is superb for the type of riding you describe:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=38

Or the Malt 4, which has also had excellent reviews:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=39

You`d also save yourself a few hundred quid.
  • tlw1
    Good call on the Rock Lobster - remember these from when I was a student in the early 90's!!!!!

Roughly what weight is yours?
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    yeah maybe the steel 853? lobster with xm719's would be strong enough for those 2 foot drops you were talking about? the most my malt4 has seen is roughly 1 foot max, rather thin kinsium?
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Genesis Altitude 0! Reynolds 853 frame and great spec.....

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/altitude_20

Plus another £200 to spend on goodies!
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    I have £1300 to spend, already got an S-works Enduro but want a nice hardtail

was thinking

CDale Taurin 3 for £1199
    Giant XTC C2 for £1150
    or a Cube Ltd Race for £898

I am looking at the Cube as it has great spec is it worth me shelling out an extra £300 on a carbon frame? Not sure it is?!
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    If I was spending that on a HT I would get a On-One Scandal 29er.

I am seriously thinking of a HT 29er for when I decide to replace my current Spec Stumpy.
  • tlw1
    Thanks for all of the advice.

Put a deposit down on an Orange P7 pro 2009 yesterday - now have to wait a couple of weeks till it get here.............. :(
  • Eranu wrote:
    I'd also take a look at the Cube Reaction XT, 2 of your 3 bikes listed are XC "race" machines and the Reaction is a great ride.

Link to Spec:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=30532

damn you i was looking at getting a Cove stiffie and building it up but this cube looks sweet .... just totaly ruined my plans now hope your happy :P
    Santa Cruz Blur LT 2 & a cove stiffee
  • yug33
    yug33 Posts: 76
    [I have £1300 to spend, already got an S-works Enduro but want a nice hardtail

was thinking

CDale Taurin 3 for £1199
    Giant XTC C2 for £1150
    or a Cube Ltd Race for £898

I am looking at the Cube as it has great spec is it worth me shelling out an extra £300 on a carbon frame? Not sure it is?!
    ]

I picked up the Cube Ltd Race about two months ago, in black. I have to say the ride is great, the spec is superb and having just had the forks set at 100mm of travel it just got even better, I can highly recommend, but cannot comment on the virtues of the carbon frame.[/quote]
    Cube Ltd
    Cube Stereo the One
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    matthew h wrote:
    Good call on the Rock Lobster - remember these from when I was a student in the early 90's!!!!!

Roughly what weight is yours?

Sorry for late reply,

I think its aound 25lb, but never actually weighed it. Good call on the 719s if you`re a heavy rider, i bent the rear 717 it came with after about 3 months at Ae. the 719 so far has been bomb proof.