pictures of Lance sell magazines by the bucketload

vermooten
vermooten Posts: 2,697
edited November 2008 in The bottom bracket
The new Cycle Sport has Lance on its cover. He was on last month's cover too. I really hope he's on the cover every month, and they could change the name to Cycle Lance or Lance Sport or maybe just Lance Lance.

The worrying thing is that it's the kind of strategy that has brought once-great mags like NME to their knees.
Marketing person 1: What do readers want in our magazine?
Marketing person 2: Let's ask them. i]One focus group session later.[/i They want X.
Marketing person 1: Well then let's give them X, and plenty of it.

Nabobs. Imbecilic thinking. (I work in publshing BTW) I wonder if procycling will do likewise this time too?
You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers

Comments

• boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    Sorry that was me, I bought all the photos of Lance to scare away the cats that keep getting into our back garden.
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    vermooten wrote:
    The new Cycle Sport has Lance on its cover. He was on last month's cover too. I really hope he's on the cover every month, and they could change the name to Cycle Lance or Lance Sport or maybe just Lance Lance.

The worrying thing is that it's the kind of strategy that has brought once-great mags like NME to their knees.
    Marketing person 1: What do readers want in our magazine?
    Marketing person 2: Let's ask them. i]One focus group session later.[/i They want X.
    Marketing person 1: Well then let's give them X, and plenty of it.

Nabobs. Imbecilic thinking. (I work in publshing BTW) I wonder if procycling will do likewise this time too?

Incidentally, according to BBC Sport Alberto Contador is making the TdF 2009's big goal at the expense of the other two Grand Tours. I wonder if this, and resulting pressure on him from within Astana, is responsible for Armstrong's sudden recent spell of um-ing and ah-ing over whether to ride next year's Tour after all?

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • I had cancelled my C+ subscription (nothing to do with a resurgent Lance - I did it before all this kicked off (to be precise the bicycle dancing troupe article was the last nail in the coffin for me) :? ) and have been walking on by as the weekly and the other monthlies go into Lance mania mode...

I can weather the storm in the meantime however; - poncy, quarterly and expensive though it is, rouleur is mainly advert free and to date a totally Lance free zone and thats where Im staying until some late 2009 I should imagine...

Bloody beautifully packaged up for £13 to your door too :)

If Lance makes it to rouleur too I think I will just give up all hope....
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    I won't even pick a cycling mag off the shelf if it has LA on the cover. His book was dull enough without reading another "exclusive" interview. Shame 'cos I normally think the mags between October and March tend to be more interesting due to having to get away from TDF talk, but not with LA's comeback argghhh.
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    does anyone know how many front covers hes had in his life??
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    With some of the others here and I won't buy if LA is about .

A subscriber in my teens ( long gone ) and a casual to regular off the shelf purchaser ever since , I often wondered if CW had ever noticed a drop of ONE in its circulation whenever there was a picture of LA on its cover , or a feature therein . It 's as if the paper is tainted by the bubonic plague and I won't touch it .

Heck , he was even above our wonderful Nicole when she scored in Peking and he hadn't done a thing other than open his yap , and I 'd traipsed to the papershop to read about Nicole . Bummer !!

At least I'll have a little more dosh in my pocket over this next year or so as I speculate on how better to spend my day come Thursdays . Like ride a bike perhaps .

I do have a picture of Lance on my wall actually - a two page colour spread from CW a few years ago , and before I'd worked out what a jerk LA was - but on the back there was a delightful b&w pic of Coppi and Magni on their steeds . No prizes for guessing which side faces the light .
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • I've never really been interested in cycling mags and web site until recently, I certainly have noticed the amount of attention LA gets, I thought his story (what I know of it) was inspiring, but then again anyone who has battled cancer is an inspiration.
    Is he really a jerk or has the extensive media coverage made him appear that way, genuine question.
    Gary
    It's not the size of dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.
  • gb-locks wrote:
    I've never really been interested in cycling mags and web site until recently, I certainly have noticed the amount of attention LA gets, I thought his story (what I know of it) was inspiring, but then again anyone who has battled cancer is an inspiration.
    Is he really a jerk or has the extensive media coverage made him appear that way, genuine question.
    Gary
    i dont know if hes a jerk or not - dont really care - im just bored of seeing him on the front pages every time he scratches his arse
  • gb-locks " Is he really a jerk or has the extensive media coverage made him appear that way, genuine question. "

Well , he most definitely isn' t a boy scout . :shock:

If you spend an hour or two googling and / or dipping through the archives of Radar here you may / may not view LA from a different perspective . :?

If this thread gets onto the LA + PED's issue again here there will be an almighty collective groan from within this mighty website . :roll:
  • I understand that LA and his pals more or less own the commercial org that looks after US cycling (Williams etc). My take is that since he retired, US cycling isnt making as much $ so, wheel out the cash cow for another tour!

Note he announced his come back in Vanity Fair! Not exactly the hot bed of Euro pro cycling. It was Lance that turned me off Pro cycling and just as i start to get back into it BAM super stalker returns! It wouldnt be so bad itf they covered something other than drugs or the tour 'will he? wont he?

Then again, he didnt do anything else. Id actually be quite interested if he came back to have a go at the Spring Classics, another tour is dull, dull, dull.

I hope Contador (irrespective of team 'loyalties') and Schleck absolutely batter him back into ageing pop star sh*gging..
  • I had cancelled my C+ subscription (nothing to do with a resurgent Lance - I did it before all this kicked off (to be precise the bicycle dancing troupe article was the last nail in the coffin for me) :? ) and have been walking on by as the weekly and the other monthlies go into Lance mania mode...

I can weather the storm in the meantime however; - poncy, quarterly and expensive though it is, rouleur is mainly advert free and to date a totally Lance free zone and thats where Im staying until some late 2009 I should imagine...

Bloody beautifully packaged up for £13 to your door too :)

If Lance makes it to rouleur too I think I will just give up all hope....

Thats quite spooky - I too stopped buying c+ after the dancing bike nonsense and took out a subscription to Rouleur. I haven't renewed it yet but if i get another 20% off voucher I will. Plus if you're not interested in collecting them you can recoup most of the value on ebay and it works out cheaper than C+!

I can't believe Rouleur will remain Lance free for much longer- after all they gave quite a few pages to David Millar (who was more of a potty mouth than gordon ramsey)
  • gb-locks wrote:
    I've never really been interested in cycling mags and web site until recently, I certainly have noticed the amount of attention LA gets, I thought his story (what I know of it) was inspiring, but then again anyone who has battled cancer is an inspiration.
    Gary

What have you done..... :shock:

:wink:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Here in the states it's not just cycling mag's that he's on or in. For that matter he's not even limited to sports mag's either. A relative has been sending me "Outside" magazine
    as a Christmas gift for about 4 years now. He has been on the cover numerous times and seems to be somewhere in every issue. So I'm guessing that yes, he and or his picture does indeed sell magazines. Kinda weird for some reason I can't quite put my finger one. You would think enough is enough. Oh well.

Dennis Noward
  • They won't stop until he's been on the cover of 7 Christmas issues in a row.
  • BenBlyth wrote:
    gb-locks wrote:
    Gary

What have you done..... :shock:

:wink:
    Opps :? :wink:
    It's not the size of dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.
  • Well chaps - CW in "no photo of Lance on front cover this week" shock!!

Buy it while stocks last :o

Quite right too - I presume they've done the decent thing and put a Manchester World Cup photo on the front?

David
  • Nah - don't buy it... :P
    Rob Spedding, Editor, Cycling Plus
  • Nah - don't buy it... :P

....read it in WH Smith and make a mental note of any tempting small ads or mail order offers! :wink:

David

Thanks for the alert , I might just head out and do just that . :D
  • On the Race forum you can nominate questions to ask him in Procycling's forthcoming interview with the Great Man. I have total confidence in them that it will be a no holds barred grilling.
  • steve2021 wrote:
    On the Race forum you can nominate questions to ask him in Procycling's forthcoming interview with the Great Man. I have total confidence in them that it will be a no holds barred grilling.

I 've no confidence whatsoever that will be the case as it's conditional on not offending the fragile sensibilities of the Great Pretender : " So if there's anything you would like to ask Lance this is your chance as long as it is within the bounds of decency, legality and won't cause offence to anyone "

BTW : assured by David Belcher that CW was a Lance free zone this week I assumed the position of the 'Big Ignorant Bugger' that stands infront of the magazine racks to read - cover to cover - the magazines . Not really , but I did manage a skim through it yesterday . An artfully lit pic of Victoria , with some other people - whose names I can't remember - was on the cover , which was good to see . The only other thing of note that I can remember was the little review of Campagnolo's new Super Record gruppetto . Eighteen hundred quid !